Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Onstar finishing soon, what wfi replacement are you thinking about/have, Poss MOD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HITMAN View Post
    Yeah sure, I would need to be classed as an itrader on the forum, I think.

I think about £60/£65 + postage both ways would be about right for any non-member,

For ID members £50 + sending postage, I would cover the return postage.

That said, if demand increases then this would likely change.

Still testing this as where I live the mobile signal is crap about 0.3-0.5 meg downloads, need to get out in the car yet.
    That's pretty good considering what they're getting and what it will do

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
      That's pretty good considering what they're getting and what it will do
      Yes it's very fair. End of day the system is gonna be defunk soon, and not everyone wants to keep putting phone hotspot on every time get into the car.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
      Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
        Yes it's very fair. End of day the system is gonna be defunk soon, and not everyone wants to keep putting phone hotspot on every time get into the car.
        I dint have that problem

Comment

I dint have that problem
          Haha so annoying having bits of kit that don't work or do anything. When I'm lonely i phone OnStar just to hear a voice [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Haha so annoying having bits of kit that don't work or do anything. When I'm lonely i phone OnStar just to hear a voice [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
            You can always phone me bud

Or better still, when I'm on shift, I'll give you a buzz........about 3am

Comment

Speaking clock for me

BTW, you'll get a better signal using the onboard wifi module - Ariel

Comment

You can always phone me bud

Or better still, when I'm on shift, I'll give you a buzz........about 3am
                Sad thing is I'm usually awake [emoji24]

Comment

Sad thing is I'm usually awake [emoji24]
                  So am I

Comment

Keep in touch if you want to start selling services.

As a quick fix I just use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E837...tronics&sr=1-1 fitted to a USB socket and a cheapo SIM. They power up with the car, no interaction needed.

Comment

Ok, update on my testing, some good news and bad..

Looks like any sim card works, tested 3 providers, however to get internet i had to call Onstar using the console call button and once someone answered and i immediately cancelled the call, internet would then work fine but when leaving and locking the car then going back 5 minutes later internet would not work and i had to make an Onstar call again to get it to work and kick in.

So looks like when the car goes to sleep the internet stops/settings lost like some volatile memory, a possible way around this would be to keep the wifi module alive permanantley with an additional mod to the power feed and being a low power draw module this is doable and as it would be a bonus for permanent 24/7 wifi, this would suit me as i want this anyway to keep my dashcam connected to the cloud permanently.

I have also obtained a pinout diagram for this, so can work out which power link drops when the car powers off.

The modding and testing continues...

Forum looks great now after the updates yesturday BTW

Comment

Ok, update on my testing, some good news and bad..

Looks like any sim card works, tested 3 providers, however to get internet i had to call Onstar using the console call button and once someone answered and i immediately cancelled the call, internet would then work fine but when leaving and locking the car then going back 5 minutes later internet would not work and i had to make an Onstar call again to get it to work and kick in.

So looks like when the car goes to sleep the internet stops/settings lost like some volatile memory, a possible way around this would be to keep the wifi module alive permanantley with an additional mod to the power feed and being a low power draw module this is doable and as it would be a bonus for permanent 24/7 wifi, this would suit me as i want this anyway to keep my dashcam connected to the cloud permanently.

I have also obtained a pinout diagram for this, so can work out which power link drops when the car powers off.

The modding and testing continues...

Forum looks great now after the updates yesturday BTW
                        Hmmm....What about when you can't call OnStar any more post 31/12/2020? How will you activate the internet then?
                        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post

Hmmm....What about when you can't call OnStar any more post 31/12/2020? How will you activate the internet then?
                          Good question, i think Onstar still have control over the internet connection and use a keep alive for subscribers (using the Onstar permanent connection with the car) and when they finish it may then keep the internet connection - no Onstar interference, wild guess.

It would also be interesting if the wifi module settings could be accessed, what was available and changeable, using an odb interface.

Comment

Good question, i think Onstar still have control over the internet connection and use a keep alive for subscribers (using the Onstar permanent connection with the car) and when they finish it may then keep the internet connection - no Onstar interference, wild guess.

It would also be interesting if the wifi module settings could be accessed, what was available and changeable, using an odb interface.
                            Yeah I only ever used my free internet connection to vodafone. I think OnStar ended their relationship with vodafone and offered a cheaper connection themselves. My yearly subscription to OnStar ran out a few weeks ago so I've gone monthly with them now till it ends. I was hoping PSA would step in and offer something when it ends but it isn't looking likely. It's the tracking and updates I'm going to miss.
                            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

BTW, you'll get a better signal using the onboard wifi module - Ariel
                              I had a stronger, and faster signal on my mobile data in the car, than the OnStar wifi could achieve, both car and mobile were on Vodafone too......

Was thinking about a workaround for the end of OnStar for wifi, as it would be handy. I was hoping for an easy solution, such as swapping out, what I assumed would be a current sim card in the module

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB87 View Post

I had a stronger, and faster signal on my mobile data in the car, than the OnStar wifi could achieve, both car and mobile were on Vodafone too......

Was thinking about a workaround for the end of OnStar for wifi, as it would be handy. I was hoping for an easy solution, such as swapping out, what I assumed would be a current sim card in the module
                                Theoretically it should be better as the car ariel should give a much wider range, also dependant on provider and thier coverage area.

The module has an onboard soldered-in sim chip, which gets disabled with the mod, allowing for other sims to be used instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X