Not good crankshaft seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not good crankshaft seal

Why has it happened to me, car has not gave me trouble until now.

Slight leak from under the engine I thought gearbox area turns out crankshaft seal is gone but leak isn't bad enough to leak on the floor. Checked oil level is fine.
    It's a big expensive job to replace the seal, which requires clutch and gearbox out.

Is it ok to hold on longer as long as is not dripping on to the floor. Garage just keep checking the oil level.

Cheers

It'll only get worse Ray,,you gonna have to do it at some point ,I'm afraid.
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Bummer that. It defo from there and not from another area?

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
        Bummer that. It defo from there and not from another area?
        I had garage inspect it this morning

Comment

Get a second opinion pal. Just incase

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
            Get a second opinion pal. Just incase
            Yeah suppose it won't hurt to get second opinion but I'm sure they are correct though.

Comment

Not good,but i'd get it done before it starts getting on the clutch.
              Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
              Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                Not good,but i'd get it done before it starts getting on the clutch.
                They recommend replacing the clutch as well when it is stripped. But if the clutch is still in good condition leave it? That's what I think.
                Bear in mind is at 78k but no clutch issues.

Comment

Hmm,depends on condition when stripped,but might be worth changing while box is out,only you can decide.
                  Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                    Hmm,depends on condition when stripped,but might be worth changing while box is out,only you can decide.
                    Would be madness not to change it when gearbox is off, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while,,it's extra expense,agreed ,but if you left original in,sods law it'll let go few months down the line
                    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

+1,I would have it changed, know it's more expense but would be worth it in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                        They recommend replacing the clutch as well when it is stripped. But if the clutch is still in good condition leave it? That's what I think.
                        Bear in mind is at 78k but no clutch issues.
                        I had clutch replaced whilst doing DMF, No clutch issues before, but once it was off it was obvious it was at the point of replacement. That was at 135k'ish miles. At your mileage, unless it had a life of stop start driving i.e. heavy on the clutch, i'd say youd be ok. But when the box is off if youre going to keep the car it I'd do all.

Comment

Cheers guys. Well I wouldn't really know how long I am going to keep this car for as I had it 4 years now, and the extra expense of doing them now, is depending how much I'm saving between now and near future.
                          Saying that if I have the clutch done, should I do the dmf as well. Also they are taking gearbox out as well should I upgrade the bearings.
                          It's a tough decision guys. I could have all this done, then something else can break which is also expensive then it becomes a money pit.

Comment

....Leave it till it the Leak gets bad and or the Clutch needs replacing ...then do both .......my daughters C8 Citroen has the same issue for the last 2 yrs and is stable.....slight leak and she keeps an eye on the oil level .

Comment

Originally posted by umfaan View Post
                              ....Leave it till it the Leak gets bad and or the Clutch needs replacing ...then do both .......my daughters C8 Citroen has the same issue for the last 2 yrs and is stable.....slight leak and she keeps an eye on the oil level .
                              Yeah that's what I'm thinking it could last another year with only a minor leak that's not dripping on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                              X