No announcement yet.

Signs of dpf regen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must say I've never noticed mine doing a regen, do you think it's because I drive at least an hour on 60mph roads everyday?
    2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
    honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Is the heated rear window coming on during a regen just an Insignia A thing as my B definitely doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by WAZ1 View Post
        Is the heated rear window coming on during a regen just an Insignia A thing as my B definitely doesn't.
        I dunno bud....could be.....but knowing VX.... probably not

Comment

B20 engines do the regen "on the go", more frequent than A20, even at 40% of soot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakxta View Post
            I must say I've never noticed mine doing a regen, do you think it's because I drive at least an hour on 60mph roads everyday?
            Aiui, yes. It doesn't need to do a forced regen because you're driving at high speeds for long enough the DPF can heat up and regen by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by BodgeItAndScarper View Post
              Aiui, yes. It doesn't need to do a forced regen because you're driving at high speeds for long enough the DPF can heat up and regen by itself.
              Driving 60 mph doesn't generate enough heat, 100 mph comes close to generating enough heat to match a forced regen temperature. And even then it still does a forced regen each 1100 km.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
                Driving 60 mph doesn't generate enough heat, 100 mph comes close to generating enough heat to match a forced regen temperature. And even then it still does a forced regen each 1100 km.
                Sorry, but speed is a bit irrelevant. My pre-facelift 2.0 CDTi used to regenerate every 4-500 miles, based on the amount of gunk that had built up in the dpf. Once the regen started, I'd try to keep the revs up at around 3000, but this could mean staying in a lower gear for a while. Only once in around 60k miles did I get the "regeneration in progress, keep driving" message.
                2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                  Sorry, but speed is a bit irrelevant. My pre-facelift 2.0 CDTi used to regenerate every 4-500 miles, based on the amount of gunk that had built up in the dpf. Once the regen started, I'd try to keep the revs up at around 3000, but this could mean staying in a lower gear for a while. Only once in around 60k miles did I get the "regeneration in progress, keep driving" message.
                  My response was that driving 60 mph doesn't generate enough heat to clean the DPF without the car doing a forced regen. Speed is indeed irrelevant for the distance between regeneration. But driving long distances at 60 mph still results in the car doing a regeneration once in a while. Even when driving 100 mph for a long time can result in a regeneration a couple of miles later at lower speed.

Comment

Surely it's actually RPM that matters, not speed? I was assuming RPM would be high enough at 60+.

Comment

Enough heat has to be generate to burn the soot. When mine is doing a regeneration, even when stationary exhaust temp is over 600.
                      First screenshot regen nearing end, second screenshot regen complete.
                      Last edited by MattG; 31-01-2020, 01:54 PM.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                      Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

So rpm not even relavent when doing a stationary regen on my engine. It's never gone over 1k rpm on a regen, and they always seem to start just as I'm ending my trip .

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

It's heat that burns off the soot not RPM .
                          My van can do a regen whilst at idle .
                          The common misunderstanding is that you have to drive the car at xxxxx thousands of revs .
                          There are lot of factors for the ECU to take into account before regen
                          1) engine temp a common thing is it must be above 65 degrees Celsius
                          2) DPF pressure sensor anything above 0.5 ( pre ) 1.0 ( after ) KPA ( that's if you have 2 .
                          3) DPF temperature some manufacturers have higher or lower temps but between 600 and 800 degrees Celsius
                          My wife's truck has carried out regens without either of us knowing, and it don't go on any fast roads , and around or area you are lucky to get above 30 mph .
                          The reason I can see about driving like a loon to make it regenerate is supposedly it speeds up process
                          But you can carry out a forced regen at idle , so that blows that theory out of the water .

.K.M.P.C.U
                          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

With a regen my led indicator comes on. I continue to drive normally. The light goes off and the regen is completely. Simples really

Comment

Anything simple is hunky Dory with meheee .

.K.M.P.C.U
                              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                              X