X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh, makes sense now

Comment

Originally posted by ilunn View Post
      Not really as the saying go's "don't Panic captain Mannon" I just stand back and think whats best way and safest way to go about this? main thing is don't rush as I could get in a bigger pickel, lookly i have good selection of tools to hand and its in lit garage.
      At least it's on all 4 now and quite a mature approach to. big

Comment

plan now is pair of low profile but high lift trolly jacks so i can raise car, place ramps under wheels then raise it further using the ramps built in jacks giving just under 400mm height increase, one problem i find is if there is only just enough clearance to get under I cannot see owt with or without glasses so I need to be just little more to focus. BUT that causes second problem, Its that high I cannot reach back of engine' blocks of wood ty-wrapped to pair old shoes.

Comment

plan now is pair of low profile but high lift trolly jacks so i can raise car, place ramps under wheels then raise it further using the ramps built in jacks giving just under 400mm height increase, one problem i find is if there is only just enough clearance to get under I cannot see owt with or without glasses so I need to be just little more to focus. BUT that causes second problem, Its that high I cannot reach back of engine' blocks of wood ty-wrapped to pair old shoes.
          I've been in some sticky situations in the past with jacking etc. remember doing a t belt on another Clio sport which involves taking top mount of so has to be supported from underneath or brace bar on top which only gets in the way so supported from bottom is the way I went.
          Placed jack under on sump with rubber packer thinking plenty of grip with, few tight bolts later it slipped and trapped my hand between pulley and chassis leg ahhh...
          Funny thing is I couldn't bend down to get jack down or even up no phone close by and by myself I'm think ohh **** I'm stuck here like the guy in 127hours luckily it crushed my hand that much I had no feeling in it so was sore but not extremely. I managed to hang off my hand enough to get my leg under to tip jack over and drag out with my feet. Didn't care if I'd damaged anything just wanted my hand out .
          Thought I'd give you a laugh n it happens to us all in different severities luckily no damage to sump or anything on the car and I had to complete the job with one n a half hands pmsl..

Comment

ooch. things like that does worry me sometimes as 99% of time i am on my own in garage, Mrs round back in conservatory, even if got phone most of time she leaves it on charge so would not hear it.

Comment

Did you see this:
              A WOULD-BE thief was crushed to death when a car fell on him as he tried to steal its catalytic converter under the cover of darkness.

Karma or what?
              2018 1.5T SRi Nav
              Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

ooch. things like that does worry me sometimes as 99% of time i am on my own in garage, Mrs round back in conservatory, even if got phone most of time she leaves it on charge so would not hear it.
                Yeah, there's always that risk. Can't be too careful. My Mrs phone is always on silent, can never get hold of her when I need to, so I'd be in trouble if something went awry. Worst I've had is the trolley jack slip and damage one of my dad's sills. Luckily it was rusted and he was getting rid of it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex421 View Post
                  I've been in some sticky situations in the past with jacking etc. remember doing a t belt on another Clio sport which involves taking top mount of so has to be supported from underneath or brace bar on top which only gets in the way so supported from bottom is the way I went.
                  Placed jack under on sump with rubber packer thinking plenty of grip with, few tight bolts later it slipped and trapped my hand between pulley and chassis leg ahhh...
                  Funny thing is I couldn't bend down to get jack down or even up no phone close by and by myself I'm think ohh **** I'm stuck here like the guy in 127hours luckily it crushed my hand that much I had no feeling in it so was sore but not extremely. I managed to hang off my hand enough to get my leg under to tip jack over and drag out with my feet. Didn't care if I'd damaged anything just wanted my hand out .
                  Thought I'd give you a laugh n it happens to us all in different severities luckily no damage to sump or anything on the car and I had to complete the job with one n a half hands pmsl..
                  Oooo, I can feel the pain just by reading that

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                    Did you see this:
                    A WOULD-BE thief was crushed to death when a car fell on him as he tried to steal its catalytic converter under the cover of darkness.

Karma or what?
                    He won't be stealing a Cat again....

Comment

I'm the same I still take chances for quickness tbh. Work mostly on my own still just a tiny bit more cautious

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                        Did you see this:

Karma or what?
                        I wonder if he thought when he was gasping for air is this really worth it for a bag of kit?

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                          Oooo, I can feel the pain just by reading that
                          Yeah was an experience I hope never to repeat
                          When I got my hand out I thought aw naw I'm going to need an automatic car now .
                          I was really lucky I'd only smashed 2 knuckles and badly bruised my full hand an still got it timed and built up .

Flung some saw dust on it for 5 minutes and was right a rain .
                          I wish, hand was goosed for few months.

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                            He won't be stealing a Cat again....
                            He might end up a grave robber now

Comment

Right managed to get the Renault on ramps giving nice amount space to get under, second picture shows Turbo and as you can see its as clean as it could be for 11 years and 55000 miles, all I can think of is oil coming down incoming air feed pipe via breather on cam shaft then leaking out of joint at turbo pipe, clamp was not really tight. any way while off decided to pull EGR valve and pipework off and gave them a clean to be honest they were not the worst I seen which surprised me a little. was hoping to find fair amount of build up which would explain the lack of power but not to be. so its all back together now so tomorrow will blast round block then get under again hoping to see nice dry turbo area.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20200208_110016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	244595
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20200208_124046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	244596

Comment

Right managed to get the Renault on ramps giving nice amount space to get under, second picture shows Turbo and as you can see its as clean as it could be for 11 years and 55000 miles, all I can think of is oil coming down incoming air feed pipe via breather on cam shaft then leaking out of joint at turbo pipe, clamp was not really tight. any way while off decided to pull EGR valve and pipework off and gave them a clean to be honest they were not the worst I seen which surprised me a little. was hoping to find fair amount of build up which would explain the lack of power but not to be. so its all back together now so tomorrow will blast round block then get under again hoping to see nice dry turbo area.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3677[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3678[/ATTACH]
                                Excellent mate , from my experience of ren DCI it's usually a blocked breather etc and generally not the turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X