New to forum 1.8 petrol troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum 1.8 petrol troubles

Hi I have a 2010 1.8 petrol exclusiv in white with 18 inch sri alloys and looks very nice if it's ever clean.
    I bought it in December and have had nothing but problems since been back to the dealer 5 times now. Started within 24 hours of buying engine management light came on and I thought it sounded like it was running rough. After 4 trips to the dealer and total of 3 weeks off the road it has had new cam shaft sensors exhaust sensor cam pulleys with a new cam belt and all was fine for 5 days and running smoother than when I got it. Day 6 of being back I noticed it starting to make a hell of a whinning noise between 1.5k revs and 3k revs next day while my partner was driving it before taking it back to dealer yet again it came up with error 84 code engine management light came on a car symbol with spanner in and traction control light came on and car went into limp mode and would do more than 20mph. As my partner tried to limp the 2 miles back home it completely cut out and never started again so had to be recovered on a low loader. I'm waiting on what the dealer has to say (full of bull is an understatement) but I'm gonna reject the car and get my money back which is a shame as when working it's a really nice car. Just wondering if anyone has had similar and what it was. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I hope you get it sorted...If not. Don't give up on Insignias.... There are a lot of good ones out there!
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Hi,Dealer or indy garage,Some code readers will not read the Insignia correctly.
      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

It has been to two independent garages arranged by the 2nd hand dealer I bought it off as it's still under warranty till end of March. The first garage didn't have a clue and was just replacing sensors for fun 2nd garage happened to be someone my other half family has been using for 20+ years and is a very good mechanic he replaced the cam pulleys and new cam belt on it. Problem I got is the dealer doesn't want to pay out to much to repair I get the feeling he is trying to get it going till the warranty runs out then not his problem. That's why while I can I think I'm best cutting my losses I got no confidence in the car at all. Not gonna lie it has put me off insignia which is a shame as I think it looks and drives miles better than a mondeo and get so much more for your money.

Comment

Cut your losses, give it back and get your cash back.
          The car doesn't serve the purpose it's bought for.

Go out and get another Insignia.....as you said, it's a great car, so don't be discouraged by this one.

Comment

Welcome
            LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Welcome, seems like bit of a lemon. All cars have issues but when it's as bad as that, I think you've been a tad unlucky. Apart from a couple of common things, overall they are normally good cars. Hope you get it sorted....

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies car is currently in the garage just have to wait see what story the dealer comes back with. I will look at another insignia but will go through it with a fine toothed comb and get extended warranty on it. Just a shame nice cars reason I went for it was my other car I use to and from work is a 08 plate vectra 1.9 cdti and has always worked perfectly the odd light appears on the dash but "heals" itself the next day. Anyone got the 2.0 turbo petrol? Might look at one of them I need a petrol preferably as my partner doesn't do the miles for a diesel 1.8 is fine for what she uses it for just would like a bit more poke for when I occasionally drive it

Comment

You have definitely brought a lemon from sounds of it. I would request a refund.
                  tens6 has a 2.0 Turbo Petrol

Comment

Hiya. I had something similar within the 3 month warranty I got with my car, a 1.8 petrol Elite.

I wanted to get a quick getaway from a junction & pressed the TC button, then pressed & held it to turn the TC & ESP off, got the quick getaway but it then went into limp mode like yours & I limped it home.

I plugged in my code reader dongle that works with Torque on my phone & it told me I had a misfire.

Took it to my local garage the next day & they diagnosed a faulty coil pack. They contacted the dealer I got it from & they authorised the repair under warranty, which fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cragski View Post
                      Thanks everyone for your replies car is currently in the garage just have to wait see what story the dealer comes back with. I will look at another insignia but will go through it with a fine toothed comb and get extended warranty on it. Just a shame nice cars reason I went for it was my other car I use to and from work is a 08 plate vectra 1.9 cdti and has always worked perfectly the odd light appears on the dash but "heals" itself the next day. Anyone got the 2.0 turbo petrol? Might look at one of them I need a petrol preferably as my partner doesn't do the miles for a diesel 1.8 is fine for what she uses it for just would like a bit more poke for when I occasionally drive it
                      I agree, the Vectras seemed so simple in comparison. The 1.8s, however slow and what not, engine wise are usually the least troublesome or mostly have simple fixes. Hence why it looks like you might either have a lemon or I find it weird how no garage can sort it.......the norm nowadays. I have a 2.0T, decent amount of poke but do be aware, if said poke is used you might wish you stuck to the 1.8. Albeit, if you drive sensibly it can return decent mpg especially on longer runs. Other things you'll need to watch for if you go down this route, is to make sure you know the service history as they are chain driven(2 Chains and more), all aspects of the engine oil is so important as there are numerous mechanical parts reliant on it over and above the usual reasons for servicing a car. There are instances where they have snapped or stretched either chain which would be a nightmare as it was not designed as a serviceable aspect like belts and would cost a fair whack to sort(if you're lucky). Personally, I avoided the 4X4(Haldex), nice to have but too many problems and costly if it goes wrong.

There, I scared you off now No, it's not all doom and gloom, like most Insignias, it's a great car as long as you're certain it's been well maintained. I have done many happy miles and I'm no speed freak, but let's just say I have surprised a few boy racers

Comment

Same here,getting on a bit now but still have a bit of power under my foot!!!
                        Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                          Same here,getting on a bit now but still have a bit of power under my foot!!!
                          So the boy in you comes out now and again?

Comment

,Only to clean her 'throat' out now and again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                              ,Only to clean her 'throat' out now and again!!
                              Always good to keep the throat clear

Comment

Working...
                              X