Towbar electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towbar electrics

Having fitted towbar over the weekend I now need to wire it up.
    Can't see anything on here with regards a how to on wiring.

I did find some information on getting a harness from Vauxhall to supply the power to the rear so may look at getting that. However spotted a video on YouTube https://youtu.be/LgebXmYxzW8 I won't copy the power supply he has used however I'll copy the wiring colours and see if I can find an ignition live in the rear to power the bypass relay to save using the Vauxhall kit.

I should add it's a 7 pin plug as its only for a small trailer.

I nearly pressed the buy it now button on eBay for a detachable towbar and electrics,the week running up to me getting the new car. When I got it home I was over the moon to find it had one fitted,a Witter detachable,with 13 pin electrics,all I needed to do was get a 13 to 7 adapter,as I only pull a trailer from time to time. I've briefly glimpsed at fuse box in boot and cannot see any extra wiring,so how it's wired ,I don't know,,saved me a few quid anyway and a possible wiring headache,,good luck with yours,,also when you plug trailer electrics in,and indicate,there's an audible buzzer,where does this sound come from ?
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Well silly me it's a permanent live that's needed for the bypass relay.
      I used a power supply from the rear fuse box as per the video but did it a neater way.
      I've just to wire to the lights but I've identified all the relevant colours by using a test light however I've checked them at the multi plug the feeds the bootlid wire harness. Which is where I planned to splice into.
      Checking a few other threads the wires that have been tapped into are a loom by the fuse box that runs down the arch.
      I can easily wire in there as well but wonder why there instead of the other harness? Am I missing something or is there a reason?

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
        I nearly pressed the buy it now button on eBay for a detachable towbar and electrics,the week running up to me getting the new car. When I got it home I was over the moon to find it had one fitted,a Witter detachable,with 13 pin electrics,all I needed to do was get a 13 to 7 adapter,as I only pull a trailer from time to time. I've briefly glimpsed at fuse box in boot and cannot see any extra wiring,so how it's wired ,I don't know,,saved me a few quid anyway and a possible wiring headache,,good luck with yours,,also when you plug trailer electrics in,and indicate,there's an audible buzzer,where does this sound come from ?
        The bypass relay has a built in speaker which makes the buzz sound when the indicators are on.

Bypass that came with the towbar is a pct zr2500.

Also towbar is an OEM detachable as I prefer those to fixed.

Comment

Well finally managed to get wiring complete tonight all tested and working.
          I've used block connectors but I'll swap over to solder joints now it's all working as it should.

Pic of my power pick up.

Got some stick Velcro and used it to fit the bypass relay to the rear panel so can easily be pulled off if I ever need to.

Comment

Working...
          X