Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dash cam: Remove ciggy lighter and power dash cam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash cam: Remove ciggy lighter and power dash cam.

Hey folks, looking for a bit of guidance. I want to fit my dash cam, and since I have no use for a cigarette lighter, I was wondering can I remove the one that is in the dash and have my dash cam power supply constantly plugged in? The psu on my dash cam is a bit bulky so can't close the flip up panel that covers the cigarette lighter.
    And since I don't want my dash to be a mess of wires, any advice on how to remove this, which panels to take out and any other ideas on this? Don't want to go for a hardwire kit as they cost as much as the dash cam over here. Attached a pic of the panel I want to take out to mess about with below. Cheers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200301_170505.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	249688
    One of the Irish boys. Mine is a 2011 SRI Ecoflex 160bhp w19 inch pentas, led interior lights,

theres a fusebox in the glovebox,,put a piggyback fuse into fuse 6 or 7,,,theres also a handy earth point to behind the passenger side dashboard end panel
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I’ve used a piggyback fuse and 12v female socket before. Would save messing around moving the current socket also cheaper than a hardwire kit.

Comment

Is it a USB power cable plugged into cig lighter adapter or a full size moulded plug. If its USB buy a thin USB adapter.

Also remember cig lighter direct is 12v camera supply needs to be 5v

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
          Is it a USB power cable plugged into cig lighter adapter or a full size moulded plug. If its USB buy a thin USB adapter.

Also remember cig lighter direct is 12v camera supply needs to be 5v
          It is a molded cig lighter plug so should have no compatibility issues.

@Wullie and @Exclusiv, guessing you folks are on about the same thing.I will take a look and see if I can add one to my "Insignia Basket" for Ebay.

Thank you very much folks, much appreciated and saves messing about to much.
          One of the Irish boys. Mine is a 2011 SRI Ecoflex 160bhp w19 inch pentas, led interior lights,

Comment

if you get a hard wire kit and go into the glovebox fusebox,the cable can be neatly tucked into the a pillar,then tucked into front of headlining,,making a neat job
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Working...
            X