Clear All

• OS upgrade?

While looking around my car system i noticed the following link

it seems to be a free open source download

is this safe to install on my system?

Opel MY19
    onto
    Nav 900 intellilink
    North Manchester - Diesel 2.0 litre 2013 facelift SRI VX-LINE CDTIA - Nav 900 Intellilink - 19" Diamond Alloys

When a manufactory is using an open source project in their product, they have to provide a download to this software somewhere available for everyone. This doesn't mean this is all the software that's running on the device. If they have added own software to it (ie user interface), this doesn't need to be opensourced. So no, it it's not possible to download this and install this on your device.

Comment

Thanks for you reply... i better leave it then before i ruin what i already have

Ive only had this car a week and i do love the car, everything about it but the infotainment system.

8 inch screen that doesn't do much at all.
      when i got the car home and had chance to play with it, i was disappointed i cant add more apps or even get an internet connection
      to do software updates etc

To be fair, Vauxhall probably do this on purpose, because who is going to pay for map updates if you could just install another Nav app like TomTom or just use Google maps for free

Seeing as the car has no data connection, this would mean the built in Sat Nav has no live traffic then either.
      North Manchester - Diesel 2.0 litre 2013 facelift SRI VX-LINE CDTIA - Nav 900 Intellilink - 19" Diamond Alloys

Comment

Originally posted by Barnoe View Post
        Thanks for you reply... i better leave it then before i ruin what i already have

Ive only had this car a week and i do love the car, everything about it but the infotainment system.

8 inch screen that doesn't do much at all.
        when i got the car home and had chance to play with it, i was disappointed i cant add more apps or even get an internet connection
        to do software updates etc

To be fair, Vauxhall probably do this on purpose, because who is going to pay for map updates if you could just install another Nav app like TomTom or just use Google maps for free

Seeing as the car has no data connection, this would mean the built in Sat Nav has no live traffic then either.
        What car / system did you have before. The facelift navi system is very modern and does hell alot, try using a preface navi.
        The facelift can stream music from mobile, make phone calls, receive and read out text messages.
        Live traffic works also with the tmc service. It does with the preface navi 600 so can only assume facelift system is better.
        The installable apps would be a big bonus, but you be limited to the apps they provide anywhere unless they build from an android os.

Comment

I still have my other car (LWB Shogun) , i also have a Motorbike too. (Honda CBR600)
          Ive not received text messages through the system? just receive calls.

My system is not Android compatible so my Samsung S9 cannot interact sadly.
          I installed android auto on my phone but the car doesn't see it, and in settings there is no mention of it
          Must be only on later models, mines a 2013 facelift.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnoe View Post
            I still have my other car (LWB Shogun) , i also have a Motorbike too. (Honda CBR600)
            Ive not received text messages through the system? just receive calls.

My system is not Android compatible so my Samsung S9 cannot interact sadly.
            I installed android auto on my phone but the car doesn't see it, and in settings there is no mention of it
            Must be only on later models, mines a 2013 facelift.
            Is there a text icon on your nav.

Yours is the early facelift nav so needs a sw update. To bring up to the later models. It should then have android auto.

Android auto on your phone is just an user interface app to make your phone usuable when driving by making things bigger.

You don't need the app at all. If the system has android auto as soon as you connect phone by cable to stereo it will sort of mirror the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
              What car / system did you have before. The facelift navi system is very modern and does hell alot, try using a preface navi.
              The facelift can stream music from mobile, make phone calls, receive and read out text messages.
              Live traffic works also with the tmc service. It does with the preface navi 600 so can only assume facelift system is better.
              The installable apps would be a big bonus, but you be limited to the apps they provide anywhere unless they build from an android os.
              Only had my 2014 Nav ECO ST a week so finding my way slowly around this sort of stuff. Having found (!) my USB sockets, is it possible to use TomTom or similar updates for the maps / speed cameras and I see you mentioned Live Traffic - how do you get / install this please.
              Any help very much appreciated thanks.
              Always strive to do better. If a job needs doing don't ask do it.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                Is there a text icon on your nav.

Yours is the early facelift nav so needs a sw update. To bring up to the later models. It should then have android auto.

Android auto on your phone is just an user interface app to make your phone usuable when driving by making things bigger.

You don't need the app at all. If the system has android auto as soon as you connect phone by cable to stereo it will sort of mirror the phone.
                Unfortunately it isn't that simple. Early model RF900s (From 13? to 15) have version 1 of the hardware and Vauxhall have stated this hardware doesn't support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. RF900 from MY16> would however it isn't a cheap upgrade.. AFAIA its a Vauxhall purchase and coding.

I rang my local dealer (Perrys Vauxhall) to update my RF900 (MY15) and they said it isn't possible to update for Apple CarPlay. The only, latest, update it has is bug fixes, which mine was flashed under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry-root View Post
                  Only had my 2014 Nav ECO ST a week so finding my way slowly around this sort of stuff. Having found (!) my USB sockets, is it possible to use TomTom or similar updates for the maps / speed cameras and I see you mentioned Live Traffic - how do you get / install this please.
                  Any help very much appreciated thanks.
                  My live traffic is always active on my navi.. radio on or not, navigation on or not. Not sure if there is a setting.

Everytime I go over M20 Junction 10 I get a message saying Traffic Ahead (even though the roadworks are under me on the motorway!!)

Comment

Originally posted by leearnold89 View Post
                    My live traffic is always active on my navi.. radio on or not, navigation on or not. Not sure if there is a setting.

Everytime I go over M20 Junction 10 I get a message saying Traffic Ahead (even though the roadworks are under me on the motorway!!)
                    Nice one, at least you know what to expect

Good timing as I tried to find auto answer today but had to use the screen instead. No doubt I could have used one of the steering wheel doodahs.

I don't understand all these references to pre faceliift etc. The software says it is Nav 90 but also mentions open source software so I wonder if the previous driver was doing an unofficial upgrade.

Just a general note about routes, live traffic and cameras on the Nav system:
                    Coming from a TomTom background of many years, I am very skeptical of some of the claims made by Vauxhall and clearly accepted by most drivers. It certainly does not even come close to a TT in my view sorry:

1. The actual route maps. The one I have is crap frankly. It doesn't even recognize main road shortcuts locally and goes into a complete spin just getting me home.
                    2. Map update. With TT there is a constant update service not just from TT but many, many reports of changes in roads sent back by users. Also, when you use a TT it feeds back info on live traffic and actually corrects a route plan if you know a better way.
                    3. Does the Nav rely on infrequent travel holdups on RDS? That is not the way you do it. When you enter a route on a TT it instantly reviews all past history on the roads for the time you are travelling and amends your route for roadworks, accidents, high travel usage AND your preferences. Does a fully updated Nav with all the bells and whistles do this???
                    4. Cameras. So far as I can see only fixed cameras are provided by the Nav POI and years out of date at that. On a TT mobile cameras and traffic light cameras are fed in and you update them EVERY WEEK NOT EVERY MONTH OR YEAR.

That's my rant over but I seriously question whether the Nav system even in my inexperienced hands is fit for purpose and am considering continuing to use the TT.

I can only hope that time and help from the community will prove me wrong.
                    Always strive to do better. If a job needs doing don't ask do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X