Insignia Estate towbar/electrics advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Estate towbar/electrics advice please

I have a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi Design Nav Sports Tourer 2016 and want to fit a towbar to pull a caravan.

I would like a detachable swan neck for an al-ko hitch, so if anyone can recommend one I’d be grateful.

I will also need electrics, If I buy what is termed as a ‘vehicle specific kit’ will it contain everything that’s needed to connect to the cars electronics (without invalidating my warranty)?
    There doesn’t appear to be any trailer preparation on the car, will I need to have this done also or is this part of the dedicated wiring kit?

I found this on PF Jones:

You can choose a vehicle specific kit to go with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Mine has a Witter,totally invisible from the rear when the swan neck is off,,also the socket folds upwards too,,supposed to be expensive though. It was an unexpected surprise when I got car last month
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Seems a lot of hassle..!
      might be easier booking a hotel..Spain,Portugal...worlds your oyster,with flushing toilets you don’t need to empty....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
        Mine has a Witter,totally invisible from the rear when the swan neck is off,,also the socket folds upwards too,,supposed to be expensive though. It was an unexpected surprise when I got car last month
        When I looked at the online photos before I bought my car I could see something just showing below the rear bumper. When I asked, the dealer said there was no tow-bar fitted. Low and behold, a factory fit (dealer fit) retractable tow-bar was fitted, added bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
          Just fitted an oris OEM one to my tourer which I picked up on eBay for £70. Was like new so a bargain.
          Completely invisible with ball removed and same with electrics which fold out the way.

I prefer the detachable ones over the fixed.

Are you planning on fitting yourself or getting a local fitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wullie View Post
            Just fitted an oris OEM one to my tourer which I picked up on eBay for £70. Was like new so a bargain.
            Completely invisible with ball removed and same with electrics which fold out the way.

I prefer the detachable ones over the fixed.

Are you planning on fitting yourself or getting a local fitter?
            Thanks for responding,

I am looking at a local fitter but its the electrics that are concerning for me, I need to know if the kit they supply is enough.

regards,
            Ellie

Comment

Originally posted by Logosgil View Post
              Seems a lot of hassle..!
              might be easier booking a hotel..Spain,Portugal...worlds your oyster,with flushing toilets you don’t need to empty....
              The hassle is all part of the adventure. The difference is vast open spaces, a car to get about in, hook up and move on if it turns out crap, everything I need at my fingertips and great fun ... next to a small box room that your stuck with for a week that has cost you 10 times as much ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Logosgil View Post
                Seems a lot of hassle..!
                Having breakfast, walking away and letting someone else clear up, proper shower's.............etc
                sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie2761 View Post
                  Thanks for responding,

I am looking at a local fitter but its the electrics that are concerning for me, I need to know if the kit they supply is enough.

regards,
                  Ellie
                  If your considering a local fitted They'll be able to supply and fit no need to worry about electrics as they'll sort all that out for you.
                  Mine is just a universal 7way bypass relay.
                  I think I read some kits have to be programmed by Vauxhall which will add to the cost.

Speak to the fitter they'll advise you what's best all you'll need to decide is fixed or detachable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie2761 View Post
                    The hassle is all part of the adventure. The difference is vast open spaces, a car to get about in, hook up and move on if it turns out crap, everything I need at my fingertips and great fun ... next to a small box room that your stuck with for a week that has cost you 10 times as much ;-)
                    Me last week..open space..

My box room view...

sigpic

Comment

I used pf Jones to supply my towbar and electrics with no problems
                      The towbar was a witter detachable I would chat to them don’t forget to tell them it is for an alko I think they are different to ordinary ?
                      The other thing you have not mentioned do you need 7N + 7S or 13pin I only had a 7N and had the dedicated kit which was simple to fit myself .
                      If you want the bar etc fitted just tell them what you want and get prices to see what is best

Comment

Originally posted by Lff64 View Post
                        I used pf Jones to supply my towbar and electrics with no problems
                        The towbar was a witter detachable I would chat to them don’t forget to tell them it is for an alko I think they are different to ordinary ?
                        The other thing you have not mentioned do you need 7N + 7S or 13pin I only had a 7N and had the dedicated kit which was simple to fit myself .
                        If you want the bar etc fitted just tell them what you want and get prices to see what is best
                        Thanks for responding, I am thinking of getting the 13 pin with the twin 7 pin adapter, I rang PF Jones and got a quote

Comment

I have recently fitted a towbar to my ST, I bought what was supposed to be a vehicle specific electrics kit off Ebay, but it isn’t and needs a lot of time to fit, in the end I bought oem from VAUXHALL, it works out cheaper to buy the parts separately rather than as a kit, the ST is easier that the hatch/saloon to wire up, I only had to strip the left side of the boot for the electrics wiring, the kit comes with a relay that replaces one that is already fitted, the writing has then to be plugged into the plug that goes into that relay. When programming the kit I used opcom, the electrics will work when plugged in without any programming but you won’t get any warning on the dash of a bulb is out, on opcom there is 3 options for you to choose, only one worked, I have a 13 pin electrics and because is use an adapter to 7 pin I get a warning that my trailer reverse lights don’t work, I don’t have any!! But if any bulb is out you will get a message on the dash telling you, there is no trailer sign like the vectra would give you, and no I don’t want a buzzer hence going oem. I

Comment

Working...
                          X