Beware cordless tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware cordless tools

On Sunday I was installing an automatic watering system for the pots in the garden whilst my wife slowly 'fired herself.

I fixed all the clips for the pipework and was connecting it to the pots when there was a smell. 'Someone is having a BBQ' she said but the smell was not really a BBQ smell. The smell seemed to get worse and then suddenly noticed smoke pouring from my cordless drill. Pulled the battery off and left the drill to cool down. When it was took it appart and the wires inside had melted insulation and lots of burn marks inside.

Now what would have happened if, as I had finished using it, I had put it back in the shed?

For ever more I will always remove the battery from a cordless tool when I have finished with it.

Lucky escape there Paul. What make is the drill?

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
      Lucky escape there Paul. What make is the drill?
      It was one from Lidl. Had it for quite a few years and never been a problem......until Sunday.

In the news there are often reports of building under renovation going up in flames. I am sure often it is a case of carelessness but I wonder if they are sometimes cordless tools misbehaving.

Comment

Over time electrical appliance can go faulty.

Comment

brushed motors inside power tools generate a lot of heat and sparks, prolonged use will make the wires burn out. more expensive tools like dewalt have thicker cables and better cooling so can handle it
          the cheaper stuff is ok for occasional use, but sounds like you were having a busy day in the heat
          nothing wrong with cheaper tools but its good to let them cool down between use

Comment

I never leave the battery attached to any power tool when not in use.
            LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Working...
            X