Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insignia 1.6 cdti timing chain tensioner rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia 1.6 cdti timing chain tensioner rattle?

I’m getting very close to buying either a 2016 Insignia 1.6 cdti sports tourer, or a 2016 Astra 1.6 cdti sports tourer.
    (My wife and I will share the car and the Insignia feels too big for her)

I’ve been disappointed to read on the Astra K drivers forum that there have been problems with the 1.6 cdti timing chain tensioner starting to rattle after only a few years, which leads to failure after a while and it’s a v expensive engine-out job to replace it.

I presumed the same 1.6 cdti engine is used in both models, but I’ve not come across anything similar on this forum, so wondering if the Insignia 1.6 cdti is setup differently, or the Astra 1.6 cdti problem is exaggerated?

Also, does the 2.0 cdti also have a timing chain or a traditional cam belt? Thanks for reading.

The 1.6CDTi is likely to be the same engine across all Vauxhall models.

Unfortunately forums are the place to find doom and gloom regarding component failures. Bear in mind there are a lot of Vauxhalls around and the number of faults you read or hear about will usually be proportional to how common a car model is.

Chances are, if you buy an Insignia and keep it until it's old and uneconomical to repair, it'll be something other than the timing chain that sent it to the scrap yard.

I think part of the timing chain and other issues suffered by many manufacturers' diesel engines is the extended service intervals (20k miles) allowing the oil to become really filthy and degraded with soot (from combustion) and diesel (from aborted regens). Possibly not helped by people often DIY servicing and using the cheapest oil they can find.

Comment

Originally posted by dave48 View Post

Also, does the 2.0 cdti also have a timing chain or a traditional cam belt? Thanks for reading.

all Insignia 2litre diesels are belt driven
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

There seem to be a lot more complaints from 1.6 cdti Astra owners on YouTube and forums, than 1.6 cdti Insignia owners for the same engine...?

Comment

I think the number of Astras with the 1.6 sold is much high then then number of Insignias with the 1.6. The Insignia is heavier so better fits the 2 Liter where in the Astra the 2 Liter is more of a sporty option. I probably won’t buy an Insignia with a 1.6, seems a bit small for such a heavy car.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
            I think the number of Astras with the 1.6 sold is much high then then number of Insignias with the 1.6. The Insignia is heavier so better fits the 2 Liter where in the Astra the 2 Liter is more of a sporty option. I probably won’t buy an Insignia with a 1.6, seems a bit small for such a heavy car.
            Good point about more 1.6 Astras than Insignias, however there seem to be more 1.6 diesel Insignias on the market than 2.0 diesel Insignias.
            I’ve currently got a 1.9 diesel Vectra, which is the same weight as an Insignia, with 118bhp and plenty of power, whereas the 1.6 diesel Insignia has 134bhp and very good mpg. Perhaps it’s the turbo that makes the difference.

The 2.0 diesel Insignias of course have more power at 170bhp, but not so many of them for sale.

Comment

Working...
            X