1.4t?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.4t?

Don't see alot of posts on the forum about the 1.4T engine, who else has got one and have you done any mods etc?

I know some people say bad engine for the car but in fact it's quite good on fuel and very comfy. And when you do get the revs built-up it's not actually that bad.
    Jonny
    Insignia SRi Turbo

If you need a large car but spend a lot of time driving in town, stop-start traffic or many short journeys, the 1.4T makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
      If you need a large car but spend a lot of time driving in town, stop-start traffic or many short journeys, the 1.4T makes a lot of sense.
      Yeah basically. Have a works van so only use the car for pottering about and I find it great. Even on a long run. It's not that bad.

Jonny
      Jonny
      Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

I haven't got one or had one but I did have the 1.8 naturally aspirated engine in my previous Insignia. That also came in for a bit of stick from some quarters (some had never driven one) saying it was gutless which was way off the mark. As 2000rpm says, If most of your driving is town driving. Its as good an engine as any. Your larger engine Insignia brothers and sisters would be doing the same speeds, remember. The main thing with these smaller engines is learning how to drive them and knowing their capabilities. I'm known for driving like a granny but if I needed to overtake in my 1.8. With proper use of the gears it did so safely and with ease.

My advise would be to leave well alone and don't get brainwashed into thinking you're the poor relation. You drive an Insignia and it deserves its place on the road (and the forum) along side every other car. No one else on the road knows the size of your engine anyway so if it isn't bothering you I wouldn't touch it.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
          The main thing with these smaller engines is learning how to drive them and knowing their capabilities. I'm known for driving like a granny but if I needed to overtake in my 1.8. With proper use of the gears it did so safely and with ease.
          Wife has a Zafira B 1.8 (120) as a multi-purpose second car and it's fine - I drive it sometimes when moving furniture/rubbish etc. Sure, it's not quick, but it's not slow either.

My advise would be to leave well alone and don't get brainwashed into thinking you're the poor relation. You drive an Insignia and it deserves its place on the road (and the forum) along side every other car. No one else on the road knows the size of your engine anyway so if it isn't bothering you I wouldn't touch it.
          My second car used to be a Swift Sport which was pretty quick but too harsh and I'm not ashamed to admit that I recently traded-in for a Vauxhall Viva.
          Oh - and the Viva, at about 14s to reach 60mph, is quite a bit slower than a 1.8 or 1.4T Insignia/Zafira (~11s 0-60) and massively slower than the SSS I previously had (~8s 0-60). Overtakes in the Viva genuinely do take some planning.

Comment

I haven't got one or had one but I did have the 1.8 naturally aspirated engine in my previous Insignia. That also came in for a bit of stick from some quarters (some had never driven one) saying it was gutless which was way off the mark. As 2000rpm says, If most of your driving is town driving. Its as good an engine as any. Your larger engine Insignia brothers and sisters would be doing the same speeds, remember. The main thing with these smaller engines is learning how to drive them and knowing their capabilities. I'm known for driving like a granny but if I needed to overtake in my 1.8. With proper use of the gears it did so safely and with ease.

Yeah. I don't mind it at all even though I've came from faster cars haha.

Had a astra J modified and was running 210bhp. Then had a astra k 1.6cdti 130bhp then went for this. And I love the insignia the best. So smooth and comfy.
            Jonny
            Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

I agree. Most owners are happy if they have what they want, that it is reliable and brings a smile to their face when driving. As for the 1.4T, there are horror stories about that engine, and the 1.5T in Grand Sport, especially as used in the USA. TBF it is people who actually buy the cars who do the real-world testing, and are more useful than any magazine review. Information gleaned from forums such as this one are also invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by john_k_sri View Post
                I agree. Most owners are happy if they have what they want, that it is reliable and brings a smile to their face when driving. As for the 1.4T, there are horror stories about that engine, and the 1.5T in Grand Sport, especially as used in the USA. TBF it is people who actually buy the cars who do the real-world testing.
                What sort of horror stories ? Mines been spot on touch wood

Jonny
                Jonny
                Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

The common faults that are known to exist do not happen to everyone who has the same engine. There are known problems with the 1.5T engine as used in the Insignia Grand Sport especially in the USA with GM models. I just hope my Insignia GS doesn't have them. There were many reported problems with the Vectra 'C' CDTI's, but related to the number of cars sold with those engines, in percentage terms, it was no less reliable than any of the other Vectra 'C's.

Comment

The common faults that are known to exist do not happen to everyone who has the same engine. There are known problems with the 1.5T engine as used in the Insignia Grand Sport especially in the USA with GM models. I just hope my Insignia GS doesn't have them. There were many reported problems with the Vectra 'C' CDTI's, but related to the number of cars sold with those engines, in percentage terms, it was no less reliable than any of the other Vectra 'C's.
                    I guess if you look after the car it will look after you.

Jonny
                    Jonny
                    Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

A quick look on the Astra K forum will show that there were a number of problems with the 1.4T engines, particularly with piston damage. The same was said about GM 1.5T's in the US, which was eventually put down to the wrong sort of Engine Oil being used. As I've already said most owners don't experience such problems,

Comment

Originally posted by jonathaneuk View Post
                        I guess if you look after the car it will look after you.

Jonny
                        Exactly so. Follow recommendations, service the car regularly and get the latest info from those 'in the know' on forums and you can't go far wrong.

Comment

Exactly so. Follow recommendations, service the car regularly and get the latest info from those 'in the know' on forums and you can't go far wrong.
                          I believe the 1.4t engine in the astra K is different to what I've got in the siggy

Jonny
                          Jonny
                          Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

A quick look on the Astra K forum will show that there were a number of problems with the 1.4T engines, particularly with piston damage. The same was said about GM 1.5T's in the US, which was eventually put down to the wrong sort of Engine Oil being used. As I've already said most owners don't experience such problems,
                            Originally posted by jonathaneuk View Post
                            I believe the 1.4t engine in the astra K is different to what I've got in the siggy

Jonny
                            The 1.4T engine in the Insignia mk1 is a different engine to the troubled 1.4T engine in the Astra K.
                            The older, relatively trouble-free engine is A14NET, has port injection and is 1364cc.
                            The newer, problematic engine is B14XFT, has direct injection and is 1399cc.

Comment

My 1.5T Grand Sport has the B15XFT, which is a mildly brawnier development of the B14XFT.

Comment

Working...
                              X