X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the one and there is also a dark grey one too. Would start at 22.5k

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
      Not sure If this is the criteria the OP is referring to when considering a Gsi, but if he is, then I would agree.
      Originally posted by buttons View Post
      I agree that makes sense.
      But its not just the top spec models. I will be switching brands too in the next 2 -3 months. Based primarily on engine performance but also on build quality. The panel fit on the showroom models I've seen is pretty crap. The new GSI Biturbo is too far behind the curve. Never bought new and probably never will. Too rich for my pay grade. Who else makes a biturbo diesel estate that is now 5 years old and better than a new siggy in every respect? And I'm in a Vauxhall since '97 so not going on a whim.
      If it's a quick car he's after, other manufacturers have moved well ahead while Vauxhall fell asleep at the wheel.

If it's the bling he's after, much of it can be had from lower models in the range (or modded) without the running costs of a 2-litre auto with 4wd (engine size, auto box and 4wd all add to fuel consumption and the 4wd might benefit from periodic servicing - or it might fail and need major repairs).

The Insignia mk2 GSI is a white elephant.

Comment

I said my bit but I will add this, Vauxhall owners network around 44k members. Bmw uk 225k members. Most owners join these forums to fix problems! Premium is in price alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
          I said my bit but I will add this, Vauxhall owners network around 44k members. Bmw uk 225k members. Most owners join these forums to fix problems! Premium is in price alone.
          If he wants reliable, he should look at cars with the simplest mechanical designs and the fewest gadgets.
          Probably something like a mk1 Insignia with the 1.8-litre naturally aspirated engine in one of the lower trim levels. It'd be cheap to buy, too.

The Japanese stayed away from engine downsizing, turbocharging and direct injection for as long as possible which is probably why they are considered very reliable.
          However, Japanese stuff rusts prematurely and severely in the UK climate.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
            If he wants reliable, he should look at cars with the simplest mechanical designs and the fewest gadgets.
            Probably something like a mk1 Insignia with the 1.8-litre naturally aspirated engine in one of the lower trim levels. It'd be cheap to buy, too.

The Japanese stayed away from engine downsizing, turbocharging and direct injection for as long as possible which is probably why they are considered very reliable.
            However, Japanese stuff rusts prematurely and severely in the UK climate.
            I think he fancies a GSI, Aisin make the gearbox, fitted in Lexus, Toyota, Volvo since 2013, GKN make the twinster 4 wheel drive fitted in Focus RS. No one says they are crap when they are in these cars. VAG have the worst rust problem that has persisted through generations of their cars but no one seems to mention it. I would park a ten year old siggy next to a golf, passat, A* of the same age and the VAG cars will often have rotten front wings, the siggy wont!

Comment

I was refraining from saying this, you took the words out my mouth . Everyone's different and I know many people won't like it but my point is unfortunately people are like sheep. Let's be honest, driving a car with a 'premium badge' is MOSTLY a status thing as it's always been. I have a few acquiantances and they all have the same image they try and uphold. They are cars, they'll have flaws. I could buy those if I want to but I bought my car because I liked it, I don't need a 'desirable' badge to give me a pecking order and I certainly don't feel inferior on the road either, I doesn't bother me. For the ones out there that genuinely bought a premium brand car solely because they liked it(which I'm sure there are a few), I salute them. I'm not being a fanboy either, there are even certain Asian makes(not desirable badges) I'd have over a 'premium, badge....in days gone by maybe but over the last decade or two, the playing field has been levelled.

Comment

Agree with all you say, tens6. Plus, there is this 'Top Gear' mentality that says
                A) Rear wheel drive is better because you can power slide through corners (but just try getting up a snowy hill in a beamer)
                B) Vauxhall used to make the (original) Viva, and the (original) Cavalier, so they must still be crap
                C) Reviewers get to drive a multitude of cars for free, and aren't concerned with initial purchase price or cost of long-term ownership

Jezza and co have a lot to answer for
                2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                  Very nice, but it's dropped around £10k in less than a year. And it hasn't got any fluffy dice
                  That's the sweet spot for buying, a Bentley Bentayga drops about 80k in a year! No one should pay list price with their own money, it doesn't make sense!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                    Agree with all you say, tens6. Plus, there is this 'Top Gear' mentality that says
                    A) Rear wheel drive is better because you can power slide through corners (but just try getting up a snowy hill in a beamer)
                    B) Vauxhall used to make the (original) Viva, and the (original) Cavalier, so they must still be crap
                    C) Reviewers get to drive a multitude of cars for free, and aren't concerned with initial purchase price or cost of long-term ownership

Jezza and co have a lot to answer for
                    Absolutely, hence my sheep comment. I think Vauxhall and a few others have a tainted past because 'influential people said so'. All car manufacturers have a dud or two in their itinerary. We have these two sectors of premium vs the rest instilled in our brains. I always wonder what really defines a premium car, almost always the value/badge....or in other words, your status on the road

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                      We havent had many members with one. @DS1978 bought one. He might be able to answer your question.
                      Last online 06-11-2018

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
                        Thank you for reminding me my mazda6 isn't turbocharged and got no poke on the lower end. It also keeps telling me to shift gears early where there is no poke.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll stick with what I have at the moment at least.

Comment

That's the sweet spot for buying, a Bentley Bentayga drops about 80k in a year! No one should pay list price with their own money, it doesn't make sense!
                            To me, buying a brand new car is never sensible. They drop most of their value as soon as you drive off the showroom floor and before you know it, it's 5 years old and worth half the price you paid. Unlike most, obviously if you have too much money and don't care how and where it goes, by all means

Comment

That's the trouble, when you buy these sub 100k cars for 10-15k, when they do go wrong the price to fix them is still out of your price range. I was looking at Range Rover Sport for abit but reliability aren't great and i wont be able to afford the repair bill

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                                To me, buying a brand new car is never sensible. They drop most of their value as soon as you drive off the showroom floor and before you know it.
                                I know . Thats why i leased mine for 2 years. I know how much i pay for the 2 years as its fixed and road tax is included.

Comment

Working...
                                X