Regen Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regen Information

Firstly I have a bulb fitted so I know when my 2.0 Elite 160 (mapped) is doing a regen. Usually does one every 800-1000 miles but I do lots of Motorway driving. Until this last couple of months. So light came on on the way back from work today (400 miles town driving) in rush hour traffic. Got home switched off had tea. Went out shopping, light came back on. I didn't have time to go for a run so I left the car ticking over on my drive. I could see the fuel consumption was high and light still on. Astonishingly 10 minutes later light was off and fuel consumption was back to normal! So it appears to have regenerated on tickover stood still.
    I didn't expect that! I'll see when it does the next one.

Not sure it would finish a regen at tick over, maybe it turned off as the temperatures were too low?
    The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

I'll be keeping my eye on it. Next chance I get I'll nail it to try to bring the light back on. Then a Motorway run.
      p.s. I put the Air Conon whilst this was happening to put a bit of load on the motor. It certainly smelled like a regen ?

Comment

When you're regen led comes on,most important thing is,,let it complete,tick over or 3000rpm,bad for them to switch off during
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

My guess is that at tickover the car gave up trying to regen.
          You now probably have three consecutive failed regens which is pushing your luck. I wouldn't be surprised to see a warning light or two come on soon - either the 'keep driving' one or the 'blocked DPF' ones.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
            My guess is that at tickover the car gave up trying to regen.
            You now probably have three consecutive failed regens which is pushing your luck. I wouldn't be surprised to see a warning light or two come on soon - either the 'keep driving' one or the 'blocked DPF' ones.
            But..... How many miles do you think for these messages if no completed regens?

We talking 1-2k, 3-4k, 4-5k etc.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
            Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Does anyone actually know any of this as fact? Or are people just having an opinion? Sometimes you just can't keep driving. The led is there to inform me,not to rule my life. And 3000 revs is rubbish,my car regens at 70mph approx 1500 revs on a drive.
              I'll wait and see what happens. A lot of gloom and doom here !

Comment

Originally posted by mickyh7 View Post
                Does anyone actually know any of this as fact? Or are people just having an opinion? Sometimes you just can't keep driving. The led is there to inform me,not to rule my life. And 3000 revs is rubbish,my car regens at 70mph approx 1500 revs on a drive.
                It's not doom and gloom, and I think cars vary from one to another. I only ask because my led only ever stays on for a minute max, goes out then on again for 30 seconds. Car feels like it's doing a regen, smells like it , and done over 6k like this.

I also think some confusion comes from passive and active regeneration.

Thinking of taking my led out, car appears to regen every 375-400 miles if just used for daily commute.

Biggest sign for me is mpg drop, car sightly lumpy on pick up, and a slightly louder engine note.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Mine will happily do a regen at tick over, or at least finish it. It doesn’t clean the dpf as well as doing 70 down the moat way. I think the only real rule is don’t turn it off part way through a regen

Comment

I normally speed up if possible/allowed when I notice it’s doing a regen. Fuel consumption during a regen is the same as driving with 2500 rpm in 6th gear, so free extra speed.
                    But when this is not possible, I don’t do anything special. I even shut it down during regen. So far no problems with the DPF.

Comment

What you are experiencing is active regen. When people do motorway runs they are doing what is known as passive regen when the temperature is hot enough to burn off the soot.
                      Now this is all cool wish this regen function was available when i had a clogged egr in the vectra which paralysed the car.

Diesel particulate filters are a complex but necessary addition to modern diesels, but what are they, what do they do, and how do you maintain them?

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                        But..... How many miles do you think for these messages if no completed regens?

We talking 1-2k, 3-4k, 4-5k etc.
                        If the car has already tried and failed to regen three times, I would think less than 100 miles, probably less than 50 miles, before warnings appear. However, as soon as the car can have a decent run it'll start the regen process.

Comment

Cars will often try their first 'background' regen (no dash lights) when the DPF is about 60-70% full. The car will flash warning lights around 80-90% full.

DPF regens complete best at high speeds; it doesn't matter too much about which gear or the rpms because at speed the car is burning a lot of fuel so it's easy for the DPF to get hot and be regenerated.

If the car has warning lights, the ideal rpm range for DPF regen is 2000-2500rpm at as high a speed as legally possible. Thrashing it will just dump more soot into the DPF. Not revving high enough will take longer to clear the DPF. The same problem occurs with regens at low speed and low rpms.

Comment

Comment

my 61plate diesel is on 130k miles, my daily drive to work is 14miles each way through town and some single carriage way but during rush hour i'm doing about 40mph on the carriage ways and 15-20 through town
                              i've never had any dpf issues and i do short trip around town in the evening and turn the car off when i get where i want
                              most dpf issues are caused by crap engine oil, dexos 2 is the minimum spec but you also need a low ash engine oil like Shell helix AG

if you're someone who doesn't keep a car for long then sick to cheap oil, but if like me you keep your car for a long time then spend a little extra and give it a good service with good oil and components

Comment

Working...
                              X