Cold Air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
    Exactly what RBH says , you see some who pop a cone filter on and rest them in the old air box with the lid missing . Thus drawing in hotter / less dense air , a cars optimum running is achieved by drawing in cooler / denser air through ducting at a lower level at the front of the car .
    If what you were asking about curnch was something like forced air induction. Then due to design constraints without a lot of giggery pokery, what you have at the moment is sufficient.
    If you were to go down the above route then you would have to draw in enough cold air (from the front and low down to over come the amount of hot air produced naturally by the engine .)
    The ducting would have to be insulated from the effects of hotter air , the area around where the air filter is would have to be treated in the same way .
    Something like air conditioning insulation .
    Or moving the whole lot down low to where the intercooler is placed .
    Also (and this is the scientific part ) barometric pressure comes into play if you live in areas way above sea level 1020 +/- is the norm .
    I'm sure on YouTube there's some cleaver jarhead that's done a video .
    Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
      Yes.
      The OEM airbox is sealed with the rubber gasket and screws do it's air tight and has a feed going into it from the front of the car.
      It's designed this way to stop hot air going into the system.
      Using a cone filter will only draw warm air in when the engine is at running temperature......most engines don't like this and affects the running.
      Thanks!!

Comment

Agreed as above, I would just stick with standard or get a performance panel filter which would sound slightly better(nothing like a cone though). I've had a few cone filter kits in the past. They made my 1.4L 8v Astra sound like a V6 which was fun but now growing older and wiser, apart from the heat I remember how dirty and wet the cone became from all the crud that swirled around the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
          Agreed as above, I would just stick with standard or get a performance panel filter which would sound slightly better(nothing like a cone though). I've had a few cone filter kits in the past. They made my 1.4L 8v Astra sound like a V6 which was fun but now growing older and wiser, apart from the heat I remember how dirty and wet the cone became from all the crud that swirled around the engine bay.
          That is true, I don’t want this mod has a negative impact on the engine, I’ve had enough now for a while....

Comment

Yes to save engine bay heat being drawn in, Keep to std air filter
            Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
            Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

I despise the use of the term cold air intake for open cone filter kits, they are not drawing cold air at all. The only cold air intake is the factory sealed units, or sealed aftermarket kits like the one below

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                I despise the use of the term cold air intake for open cone filter kits, they are not drawing cold air at all. The only cold air intake is the factory sealed units, or sealed aftermarket kits like the one below
                Allright, fair enough, then I want a warm air intake

Comment

Here is my cone filter.

I try to seal it as much i can to avoid heat soak which i have experienced beforehand. The casing is made partly from stainless steel and aluminium.

Comment

Comment

That sounds great!

Do you also ship outside UK? [emoji23]

Definitely need to create something like that

Comment

Originally posted by crunch81 View Post
                        That sounds great!

Do you also ship outside UK? [emoji23]

Definitely need to create something like that
                        Thanks

Don't know how much it would cost to ship with all this BREXIT business

Comment

Working...
                        X