Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil do you suggest

2014, facelift, 2 liter Deisel.

Dash is saying 26% oil. Dip stick check looks healthy enough.

If i go halfords, whats the best oil? Suggestions?

Thanks.
    Conor

Halfords carry a good range, if a little expensive but good if you need something ASAP. I find Independent motor factors are cheaper. Oil must be Dexos 2 approved. after that its up to you.
    https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

Comment

Personally I use Mobil 1 ESP 0-40.

But 26% is nothing to worry about.

Comment

Can anyone explain the O to 40 ratio?

I dont mind spending a few quid more to look after the car, bit of preventive maintenance!

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy4087 View Post
          Can anyone explain the O to 40 ratio?

I dont mind spending a few quid more to look after the car, bit of preventive maintenance!
          Have a read of this regards the grades....it's quite interesting, in a nerdy sort of way

The UK's largest independent supplier of automotive oils, fluid and parts. We've products to suit any vehicle, from full blown Race / Track weapons, to Daily Drivers looking to save money. Plus FREE expert advice & recommendations - OPIE KNOW OILS

and that's how I look at it, the oil I use is very expensive, but I used it in my last Insignia CDTi and never had any issues at all with the DPF...and I mainly do very short runs to and from work, the DPF's worst nightmare (I also never use supermarket fuel too)

Comment

Yeah i have a 4 year old with only 26,000 miles so want to keep her healthy.

Gets a 20mile blast on the motorway in the morning and 15 miles through town on the way home daily with a longer run on the weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by MadOnVaux! View Post
              Have a read of this regards the grades....it's quite interesting, in a nerdy sort of way

The UK's largest independent supplier of automotive oils, fluid and parts. We've products to suit any vehicle, from full blown Race / Track weapons, to Daily Drivers looking to save money. Plus FREE expert advice & recommendations - OPIE KNOW OILS

and that's how I look at it, the oil I use is very expensive, but I used it in my last Insignia CDTi and never had any issues at all with the DPF...and I mainly do very short runs to and from work, the DPF's worst nightmare (I also never use supermarket fuel too)
              Can you mix a 0 - 40 oil with a different oil in a car...??

Comment

Can you mix a 0 - 40 oil with a different oil in a car...??
                I personally wouldn't.....but how do you mean mixing?....if you mean as in putting 0-40 in at an oil change when it's had 5-30 in it, then the amount that would mix would be negligible.

If you mean topping up with 0-40 in a car with 5-30 in then no.

Comment

Topping up!

I have the car 2 months so not sure what was it it before. Ill wait to the next service to chsge it up and just go with the recommeded oil in book.

Comment

Topping up!

I have the car 2 months so not sure what was it it before. Ill wait to the next service to chsge it up and just go with the recommeded oil in book.
                    Just FYI the %age on the dashboard is purely an indicator and counts down from 100% to 0% over a year (I may have read somewhere that short journeys affect it too?) - it is not how much oil is in the car

Comment

the W in oil grade is "winter", it is the viscosity of the oil at a given temperature, the same engine may use different oil viscosity depending on the climate
                      dexos 2 is the minimum spec you should aim for, also if you are doing a lot of miles consider changing oil every 6 months, a mid year oil change is cheaper than a new turbo or engine etc
                      i use Shell helix AG, i meets the dexos 2 spec but is also a low ash oil which helps prevent dpf clogging, diesels natural burn some oil and the soot form the oil burning can damage the dpf
                      my cars on 120k miles, used shell all its life (expect from whatever if came out the factory with), engine runs smooth, pulls like a tank still, no turbo egr engine issues at all

Comment

Originally posted by MadOnVaux! View Post

0w40 specified for my '12 biturbo. I've used Mobil 1 since the start. I'm paying €60 (<£55) for 5L buying at an independent motor factors, halfords more expensive, so I dont consider it expensive. 'Genuine' Opel 0W40 oil is well over twice the price.

Comment

I'm dying to get some Mobil 1 ESP in mine, as it's had 5-30 from new.....it's 4 year old and on 51k now, does anyone think it would be worth a flush first or will it be ok?

I am aware flushing engines in high miles cars isn't such a great idea as possibly removing carbon deposits which can 'pad-out' component tolerances can be a bad thing.

Comment

Petronas 0-40 5 ltrs free delivery carparts4less £32
                            Loads of 0-40 for well under £55-££60
                            I paid £22 for dexos 2, 5 litres delivered, even beats Autovaux.
                            I wouldn't buy oil anywhere else these days. Always a discount code.
                            I dont know how they do it

Comment

Working...
                            X