Tyre Repair Sealant or Spare Wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Repair Sealant or Spare Wheel?

I realy want to get a spare wheel as im not convinced by the sealants... maybe because ive never needed to use one or i just like the oldskool of putting the spare on.

Whats everyones thoughts on this? Have any of you bought the spare wheel/jack kits?
    I see one kit on ebay, 17" spare alloy with a 1 tonne jack for 160 quid... worth it? Or do both and do the sealant in the worse case scenario.

Cheers

I have always carried a spare wheel and jack. I don't trust the goo.

Comment

I wouldn't touch the sealant stuff.

If you have a puncture and use it to get you to your destination......it's a brand new tyre you need to buy as the sealant stuff screws the inside of the tyre.

It might be ok for some time afterwards but the tyre is basically ruined.

I run with a full size spare and Jack in my car at all times.
      If I'm loading up with luggage to go see family in Lincolnshire than that and the boot risers come out and I put the space saver in.

Comment

I found the vw caddy jack works well on the insignia I’ll get some pics next time I go to jack it up (have to start it with that can’t get my jack in). Then I’ve got a 17” alloy Togo in the boot

Comment

I have one of these as a spare https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...oAAOSwyPReyRq8

and you can get a small 2 ton trolley jack from the likes of toolstation for about 40 quid

but you will need the bootriser kit for this rim to fit in properly
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Cheers.

Ill throw the sealant in the bin once i get a spare wheel then.

Just assuming, but a 16" wheel with 215/60 fit in the back?

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
              I have one of these as a spare https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...oAAOSwyPReyRq8

and you can get a small 2 ton trolley jack from the likes of toolstation for about 40 quid

Would a small 2 ton fit within the wheel itself? I like it when its all tucked away nicely... ocd like [emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by Sean110 View Post
                Would a small 2 ton fit within the wheel itself? I like it when its all tucked away nicely... ocd like [emoji2]
                a small bottle jack probs would
                ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

This one would be ok wouldnt it? Wouldnt mess around with the balance of the car atall as im on 19's.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post

Exactly the same set up.as myself.
                    My 2 ton low profile jack came from Toolstation.
                    It's a Sealey and was only £30.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean110 View Post
                      This one would be ok wouldnt it? Wouldnt mess around with the balance of the car atall as im on 19's.
                      Not being cheeky but that's pretty expensive.
                      Insignia nuts are 22mm

Comment

When you need to lift your vehicle up, make sure you've got this hydraulic trolley jack on hand to help. It's the best way to prepare to change a tyre or check the undercarriage of your car, and gives you space to see the whole picture. It's a practical size, which is great for storing in your car, plus...

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                          Not being cheeky but that's pretty expensive.
                          Insignia nuts are 22mm
                          Also them angled wheel braces horrible to use, they will just round a nut off if you need to use excessive pressure to remove

Comment

Originally posted by the gas man View Post
                            Also them angled wheel braces horrible to use, they will just round a nut off if you need to use excessive pressure to remove
                            Definitely.
                            I still use my old wheel spider
                            Got it with my first car, a Viva 1300GLS in 1983.....and is solid.

My old faithful

Comment

I'd try you local scrap yard first. I pick a complete jack kit and a space saver wheel for £40.

Comment

Working...
                              X