Insurance Claim or Pay Cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Claim or Pay Cash

Hello, had a tiny bump in the Supermarket car park yesterday.

Small amount of paint and a small split in my rear bumper.

Her 2009 plate Mondeo 118,000 miles, has some paint damage to the wheel arch and rear bumper. The bumper has torn from its mounting. Websites put her car being worth £1500-£2000

She drove past me as I was reversing out of a parking space. These things happen I suppose. I suggested I would pay for her repair to save both of our no claims etc.

She has posted me a quote from a Ford Dealer for £784

I'm astonished at the amount, my bumper will cost £200 ish to fill and paint.(Vauxhall Insignia).

I have no no claims cover, since I have never had an accident in a car, ever.

How much will my insurance change if I go through this channel? A couple of hundred quid extra for a year or two or loads for 5 years?

Does anyone have any experience of this.

I'll ring the woman tonight and see if she'll get a quote from an independent bodyshop, I dont think she realises that her premium will go up as well.

Knock for knock car park bump I would think.

Should I offer her £500 cash and ask for a disclaimer?

I would take her to a body shop I knew,,both go together,so she can't inflate the quote
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Tell her if she goes through insurance, they will write the mondeo off as a lost cause. They would not repair at that cost.

As already been said, ask if you can accompany her to a local independent body shop. Or she could lose the car as a write off.
      LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Sound advice, thats where we are at now. Many Thanks

Comment

Not what I would think. I hope you have informed your insurer as the lady in question may already have lodged a claim against you, and your insurer will not be happy if you have not disclosed the accident. And I would carefully consider your position. I would think that your vehicle reversing into a traffic lane is completely at fault, 100%. Your insurer will decide on the course of action not you. On taking out insurance you assign responsibility to the insurer. I assume you have informed them as if not, your leaving yourself wide open. Unless you pay £784 and no insurance company is notified it will go away. An accident must be notified to the insurance company regardless of blame.

Comment

Firstly that's a bummer, sorry to hear that.

It's not gonna make much difference to her cover as a none fault accident. Probably add 25 quid to her renewal. It would make sense insurance would pay out the £784 rather than write her car off and pay out £2000 so I would say she has nothing to lose going either way. I agree with what others have said, I'd ask her if she's prepared to use an independent as we all know how dealers like to inflate prices. As for telling insurance....Fk the robbing bastards! My last 3 scrapes (none my fault) have all been sorted without any input from insurance.
            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
              Not what I would think. I hope you have informed your insurer as the lady in question may already have lodged a claim against you, and your insurer will not be happy if you have not disclosed the accident. And I would carefully consider your position. I would think that your vehicle reversing into a traffic lane is completely at fault, 100%. Your insurer will decide on the course of action not you. On taking out insurance you assign responsibility to the insurer. I assume you have informed them as if not, your leaving yourself wide open. Unless you pay £784 and no insurance company is notified it will go away. An accident must be notified to the insurance company regardless of blame.
              I absolutely disagree with this. So negative.

Comment

I personally believe they will write the car off. Look how many new cars are written off. Is not just the cost of the repair, but associated costs like courtesy car etc

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                  I absolutely disagree with this. So negative.
                  Agree or disagree. Its the words of the law I'm afraid. We're still stuck in the Draconian rules which help the fat cats instead of the man on the street. We should be allowed to legally sort minor accidents out between us without the need to tell anybody but insurance companies can't make extra cash out of us from that.
                  2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I'm glad we all dont live in your world mate !
                    What a sterile goody 2 shoes place that is.
                    Its getting sorted at an Independent Body Shop for half that quote.
                    Both partys happy.
                    Who mentioned reversing into a traffic lane?
                    A private car park backing into a fuel station with no road markings, nothing.
                    I have admitted responsibility, because I'm a proper bloke, however no insurance company would point out blame for a car park bump. Companys tend to go half and half to save litigation.
                    This is a nice Middle aged Lady, not a young Lad shouting on about Whiplash !
                    The real World and all that........

Comment

I dont see it as negative comments. I'm glad its sorted and at a low cost. I was expressing an opinion. There's too many out there who see an insurance claim as an income earner. You said "She drove past me as I was reversing out of a parking space". Reversing out of a parking space into traffic in a car park or whatever, is reversing into traffic, public or private. The first thing any insurance company would say is 'dont admit liability' even if you are clearly in the wrong. These things can go either way, I was just cautioning to expect the worst. It didnt turn out that way thankfully.

Comment

Glad it's sorted with the other party bud

Comment

Glad it's sorted out without getting insurance involved.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. It has made me think, even at my age .
                            I wont be driving into a space again, its too blind coming out. I'll stop being lazy and reverse in.
                            By the time both cars are shiny again I'm still going to be £600 down. But I know it would have been a grand + over 5 years going with the Insurance route. And harder to get cover !
                            Never ever having a claim has probably saved me thousands over the years, so I've probably got off lightly.
                            No one got killed.
                            No one got hurt.
                            Only money, I'll take that option anyday.

Comment

One of the new cars have a feature which detects oncoming traffic when you back out, always handy to have like in this situation

Comment

Working...
                              X