is start stop on a timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is start stop on a timer

ive noticed on grand sport when I pull up somewhere say to park whilst waiting on someone and the car engine shuts off with the start stop after a little while the engine restarts itself is the start stop on a timer so if you don't engage the clutch within a certain time it starts up itself and why

I think it just monitors the amps etc and restarts when it drops below a certain level.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
      I think it just monitors the amps etc and restarts when it drops below a certain level.
      Thats what i thought as well. Compared to when you actually turn the engine off fully when it goes to Stop\Start a lot of things like heating\aircon etc are still running so will be using the battery etc. Presumably if it was allowed to drop below a certain level then the car would struggle to start again so it jumps in before it reaches that point.

I tend to only use Stop\Start if i know i'm only going to be stopping briefly or not in stop\start traffic. If i'm going to be stopped for a while i'll either turn the car off fully or turn the stop\start system off from the button on the dash. Again if i'm queuing in traffic i'll quite often turn the system off to save on constant starting of the engine.

Comment

Think the longest mine has stayed off was about 6mins,when was at a level crossing,only the radio was on at the time
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

its happened with mine recently, i know you need a bit of a drive to charge the battery so as marko says i think its to do with the charge getting low.

i try and turn mine off unless i know i'm going to be stopped for a couple on mins

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
            ah thanks for your reply that is probably the reason as most times I have the radio on aswell,

Comment

thanks everyone for all your replies regarding the start stop I try to remember to switch this function off at the start of each journey but forget at times , I also only just noticed if unplug your seatbelt when its on auto stop the engine restarts straight away unless this also depends on the amps etc aswell , I really must try and read the whole handbook sometime I suppose though im not too sure how much of this kind of things will be in it

Comment

Originally posted by millar69er View Post
                thanks everyone for all your replies regarding the start stop I try to remember to switch this function off at the start of each journey but forget at times , I also only just noticed if unplug your seatbelt when its on auto stop the engine restarts straight away unless this also depends on the amps etc aswell , I really must try and read the whole handbook sometime I suppose though im not too sure how much of this kind of things will be in it
                List of manuals you can download here :-
                We have a range of Vauxhall owner’s manuals for everything you need to know about your Vauxhall. Browse for your Vauxhall model and download the owner’s manual as a PDF.

I find it handy to have a copy on my work PC and on my phone so i can check things without having to get the manual out of the car!!

Comment

Sorry for the lengthy chopping out of the manual but some handy stuff here for folk about the stop\start setup :-

Vehicles with manual transmission
                  An Autostop can be activated at a standstill or at a low speed up to 9 mph.
                  Activate a conventional Autostop as follows:
                  ● Depress the clutch pedal.
                  ● Set the lever to neutral.
                  ● Release the clutch pedal.
                  The engine will be switched off while the ignition stays on.

Conditions for an Autostop
                  The stop-start system checks if each of the following conditions is fulfilled.
                  ● The stop-start system is notmanually deactivated.
                  ● The bonnet is fully closed.
                  ● The driver's door is closed or the driver's seat belt is fastened.
                  ● The vehicle battery is sufficiently charged and in good condition.
                  ● The engine is warmed up.
                  ● The engine coolant temperature is not too high.
                  ● The engine exhaust temperature is not too high, e.g. after driving with high engine load.
                  ● The ambient temperature is above -5 °C.
                  ● The climate control system allows an Autostop.
                  ● The brake vacuum is sufficient.
                  ● The self-cleaning function of the diesel particle filter is not active.
                  ● The vehicle was driven at least at walking speed since the last Autostop.
                  Otherwise an Autostop will be inhibited. Certain settings of the climate control system may inhibit an Autostop.

Power saving measures
                  During an Autostop, several electrical features e.g. auxiliary electric heater or heated rear window are disabled or switched to a power saving mode. The fan speed of the climate control system is reduced to save power.

Restart of the engine by the driver
                  Conventional restart

All engines have conventional restart. Depress the clutch pedal without depressing the brake pedal to restart the engine. On engines with late restart a conventional restart is only possible without depressed brake pedal.

Late restart
                  All engines have late restart in addition to conventional restart. Late restart is only active on gradients up to 5%.
                  ● Depress the brake pedal.
                  ● Select first gear.
                  ● Release the brake pedal to restart the engine.

Vehicles with automatic transmission
                  Release the brake pedal or move selector lever out of D into N or P to restart the engine.
                  Restart of the engine by the stopstart system The selector lever must be in neutral to enable an automatic restart. If one of the following conditions occurs during an Autostop, the engine will be restarted automatically by the stop-start system:
                  ● The stop-start system is manually deactivated.
                  ● The bonnet is opened.
                  ● The driver's seat belt is unfastened and the driver's door is opened.
                  ● The engine temperature is too low.
                  ● The charging level of the vehicle battery is below a defined level.
                  ● The brake vacuum is not sufficient.
                  ● The vehicle is driven at least at walking speed.
                  ● The climate control system requests an engine start.
                  ● The air conditioning is manually switched on.

If an electrical accessory, e.g. a portable CD player, is connected to the power outlet, a brief power drop during the restart might be noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
                    List of manuals you can download here :-
                    We have a range of Vauxhall owner’s manuals for everything you need to know about your Vauxhall. Browse for your Vauxhall model and download the owner’s manual as a PDF.

I find it handy to have a copy on my work PC and on my phone so i can check things without having to get the manual out of the car!!
                    If you just download the My Vauxhall app, enter vin number your manual is there in the app at all times.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                      If you just download the My Vauxhall app, enter vin number your manual is there in the app at all times.
                      Yeh i've had the My Vauxhall app in the past as well. To be honest i just downloaded it to my Dropbox account and then its available from my phone, ipad, work PC...in fact anywhere i can access my dropbox account!

Comment

thanks for the link
                        Originally posted by bransoj View Post
                        Sorry for the lengthy chopping out of the manual but some handy stuff here for folk about the stop\start setup :-

An Autostop can be activated at a standstill or at a low speed up to 9 mph.
                        Activate a conventional Autostop as follows:
                        ● Set the lever to neutral.
                        ● Release the clutch pedal.
                        The engine will be switched off while the ignition stays on.

Conditions for an Autostop
                        The stop-start system checks if each of the following conditions is fulfilled.
                        ● The stop-start system is notmanually deactivated.
                        ● The bonnet is fully closed.
                        ● The driver's door is closed or the driver's seat belt is fastened.
                        ● The vehicle battery is sufficiently charged and in good condition.
                        ● The engine is warmed up.
                        ● The engine coolant temperature is not too high.
                        ● The engine exhaust temperature is not too high, e.g. after driving with high engine load.
                        ● The ambient temperature is above -5 °C.
                        ● The climate control system allows an Autostop.
                        ● The brake vacuum is sufficient.
                        ● The self-cleaning function of the diesel particle filter is not active.
                        ● The vehicle was driven at least at walking speed since the last Autostop.
                        Otherwise an Autostop will be inhibited. Certain settings of the climate control system may inhibit an Autostop.

Power saving measures
                        During an Autostop, several electrical features e.g. auxiliary electric heater or heated rear window are disabled or switched to a power saving mode. The fan speed of the climate control system is reduced to save power.

Restart of the engine by the driver
                        Conventional restart

All engines have conventional restart. Depress the clutch pedal without depressing the brake pedal to restart the engine. On engines with late restart a conventional restart is only possible without depressed brake pedal.

Late restart
                        All engines have late restart in addition to conventional restart. Late restart is only active on gradients up to 5%.
                        ● Depress the brake pedal.
                        ● Select first gear.
                        ● Release the brake pedal to restart the engine.

Vehicles with automatic transmission
                        Release the brake pedal or move selector lever out of D into N or P to restart the engine.
                        Restart of the engine by the stopstart system The selector lever must be in neutral to enable an automatic restart. If one of the following conditions occurs during an Autostop, the engine will be restarted automatically by the stop-start system:
                        ● The stop-start system is manually deactivated.
                        ● The bonnet is opened.
                        ● The driver's seat belt is unfastened and the driver's door is opened.
                        ● The engine temperature is too low.
                        ● The charging level of the vehicle battery is below a defined level.
                        ● The brake vacuum is not sufficient.
                        ● The vehicle is driven at least at walking speed.
                        ● The climate control system requests an engine start.
                        ● The air conditioning is manually switched on.

If an electrical accessory, e.g. a portable CD player, is connected to the power outlet, a brief power drop during the restart might be noticeable.

Comment

brilliant thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X