Reflections pics v direct sunlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections pics v direct sunlight

I washed my Mum's car a couple of weeks ago and took some afters photo's.

The following photo's are reflection shots -

Click image for larger version

Name:	False3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	250792

Name:	False2.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	250793

Look pretty good doesn't it!

The last photo is showing the paintwork in direct sunlight -

Name:	False1.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	250794

Now you can see just how much correction is needed on this car to turn it around.

An LED torch would also help you see any remaining swirls if you're correcting your paintwork in a fully shaded area.
    2015 SRi Nav CDTi 140 VX-line Nav

I found that out on a YouTube channel I watch
    Whitedetails
    What you cannot see with the naked eye this man picks up with a torch
    Even down to hidden overspray
    So in truth
    What we think and looks clean and shiny is way off the mark .
    There's a lot of science involved.
    Never realised what hydrophobic was till you uploaded that video the other day.
    Last edited by lizzard-t; 10-05-2020, 10:51 AM.

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Top tips,

Here's mine,

Never look at your car in direct sunlight, don't look at your car with your glasses on and always step back to check the paintwork.......about 30 yards should do!

Comment

Here's my tip
        Don't go into the public toilets with someone called Shaking Stevens!

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I never get mine looking as good as some of you detailing experts but I always polish because I have seen the protection it gives. My Vec C was scraped once on the lower rear door panel by a careless parker, the mark was the full length of the door and about 4 inches wide. I was that concerned I went straight to a bodyshop, the took a rag and just wiped it away in seconds because the polish had proteded it. I was gobsmacked!

Comment

It's knowing what you are doing and why that's the key .
            As I said before there is a lot of science as far as I can see .
            And it's one thing that fascinates me a lot .
            And I must thank aitkenaj for un mystifying it or putting it into words I can understand.
            I went hunting for hydrophobic spray
            And mis spelt it and came up with this -
            Module Kits/Accessories. Ducting & Ducting Accessories. 1 Pot Module Kit 1 Pot 25L XL Module Kit 6mm Cross Connector. 16mm Cross Connector. 16mm - 6mm Cross Connector. 6mm Tee Connector.

Ho the joys and confusion of being dyslexic ( which I am )

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
              I never get mine looking as good as some of you detailing experts but I always polish because I have seen the protection it gives. My Vec C was scraped once on the lower rear door panel by a careless parker, the mark was the full length of the door and about 4 inches wide. I was that concerned I went straight to a bodyshop, the took a rag and just wiped it away in seconds because the polish had proteded it. I was gobsmacked!
              Trust me perfections on all cars unless you spend a lot of time and money correcting them all, then park the car up and don't drive it [emoji23].

I have small scratches everywhere, but have now got my ocd in check, and happy with it looking as it does even thou far from how I would like it to look. Have to draw the line somewhere.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
              Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

What some forget is every time to correct the paintwork through polishing you're taking a layer off the clear coat. The best advise is to look after it in the first place. If you've bought a car like it, yeah do some paint correction but then leave it and put your energy into protecting it. I'm noticing more and more members getting the DA out every time there's some nice weather.
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                  What some forget is every time to correct the paintwork through polishing you're taking a layer off the clear coat. The best advise is to look after it in the first place. If you've bought a car like it, yeah do some paint correction but then leave it and put your energy into protecting it. I'm noticing more and more members getting the DA out every time there's some nice weather.
                  That's it for mine now. Been done twice in 2 years. And to be fair it's only been done lightly with mild products, hence some scratches still there, and I'm scared to go to far [emoji23].

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                  Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                    That's it for mine now. Been done twice in 2 years. And to be fair it's only been done lightly with mild products, hence some scratches still there, and I'm scared to go to far [emoji23].
                    I've said before, it scares me but I'm like Father Ted, start with a minor scratch and before I know it.... write off! Hats off to those that know what they are doing. Also, I must say well done Vauxhall, there are many early cars on here that still look mint. Credit to their owners too of course.

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                      Without question, the best advice about polishing you'll read.

You really do have to go some to burn through the clear coat using a Dual Action Polisher. The Pro detailers who work on Supercars invest in a paint depth gauge, but they measure the depth down to the metal, not just the clearcoat.

Scrap panels are great for seeing where the limits are.

Comment

I have not used a DA polisher in about 38!years , the last time I used one was when I did a stint at a Volvo dealer
                        There was one car a used 745 GL was supposed to be red but came in looking Pink .
                        With the help and guidance of Franko Valet the mad Italian Valeter
                        I turned that barge back to its former colour.
                        After all thease years and of course the influx of new / improved products and of course this thread it really opened my eyes to a completely different way of cleaning cars .
                        It's not just a wash ,dry and wax anymore,

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                          It's not just a wash ,dry and wax anymore,
                          I sometimes wish no one ever mentioned Detailing to me. My wallet does too.

Comment

Originally posted by aitkenaj View Post
                            I sometimes wish no one ever mentioned Detailing to me. My wallet does too.
                            I know when I saw your thread on the stuff you used
                            I went straight on there website and nearly spent £50.00 p
                            But then I thaught it will be just like wearing a string vest under an Armani suit

.K.M.P.C.U
                            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                              I know when I saw your thread on the stuff you used
                              I went straight on there website and nearly spent £50.00 p
                              But then I thaught it will be just like wearing a string vest under an Armani suit
                              There was a bloke joined the forum 2 or 3 years back who used detailing products that cost ridiculous amounts. £500 for wax! Car looked lovely but no better than most on here who keep their cars clean and shiny. How far do you go with a daily runner? I can understand it for a show car kept in a garage until the next show but not for something in constant use.
                              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Working...
                              X