Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Ciggy

Hi all.

Bad start to the weekend. Ciggy failed to start this morning.

2.0 CDTI 2011 (not start/stop) 95k miles
    Drive it daily and it drove fine last night.

Now turning the key just results in a clicking noise, nothing else. Half full fuel tank, and think the battery was low (it's 4+ years old). Tried a jump from another car and the same thing, just clicks.
    Have tried both keys with new key batteries, and also tried a new car battery (can return it if it's not that). I've also disconnected the battery for 2 hours and tried again, same result.

Currently looking to get the blessed thing towed to a garage for further diagnostics, but wondered if anyone had any insight as to what it can be?
    I checked the fuses over 30amp in both boxes (bonnet and glovebox, there's so so many I don't want to make things worse, as I will forget where to put one back.)

Just signed up to a breakdown service but can't use them for 48 hours, so in theory I have 2 days to play.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.....

Sticking starter?
    With regards battery have you tested the battery? What did you try to jump it from? Would need to be another diesel as petrols don’t put out enough cranking power.

It could be simple but could serious have you had any low oil pressure warnings?

Comment

Cheers Mr Wullie

It could be, though i've no idea why the batt would be so low.
      No low oil pressure warnings, just a brief alert a few days ago about stabilitrack, which i think is just an abs type sensor that can be replaced.

I've picked up a new replacement car battery today from EuroCarparts (weekend37 for 37% off)
      starting it on that gives the same response. I did try jump starting it from another diesel but alas same result.

if i can locate the starter motor in the engine bay (i'm a computer tech, not a car mech) i can give it a bash.
      I've read that can help.. cant hurt i guess!

Comment

From that I’d say battery side of things is ok sounds like something is stuck seized.
        Are you able to turn the engine by hand? Is it a manual or auto?

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

Think the battery is dead anyway, as the wipers barely move when on. With the new battery they zip round like normal.

It's an automatic, (Though I wouldn't know how to turn it over by hand if it were a manual. The most i can do is change bulbs and air filters!)

Comment

Insignias act very strangely when the battery is on its way out. With my old pre-facelift, I could only open the driver's door and tailgate, all the other doors were deadlocked from inside and out! New battery and Bob's your uncle.
            2018 1.5T SRi Nav
            Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

When new battery was fitted did you try closing/locking all doors (with remote) give it couple minutes then unlock, thought process being immobiliser not allowing starting of engine.

Comment

Originally posted by ilunn View Post
                When new battery was fitted did you try closing/locking all doors (with remote) give it couple minutes then unlock, thought process being immobiliser not allowing starting of engine.

Hi.

I didn't no. I did notice that the remote lock function wasn't working at all. I'll try that again tomorrow.

With the old "dead" battery, i noticed that each time i tried to start it, the hazards would come on. Not the alarm hazards, normal hazards, as i could turn them off with the warning switch.
                all very odd. defo got electrical gremlins in there somewhere.

worst case i buy myself a new ciggy!

Comment

Originally posted by Schui1024 View Post
                  Hi.

I didn't no. I did notice that the remote lock function wasn't working at all. I'll try that again tomorrow.

With the old "dead" battery, i noticed that each time i tried to start it, the hazards would come on. Not the alarm hazards, normal hazards, as i could turn them off with the warning switch.
                  all very odd. defo got electrical gremlins in there somewhere.

worst case i buy myself a new ciggy!
                  The modern car is covered with ECU's which work in similar way to computers where switching off and back on repairs issues the difference being with a car it needs good charge in battery to close down and start up all these ecu's hence I would fit new battery then lock it (as if you were done for day) including close bonnet, The LEAVE IT LOCKED for few Minutes is to allow ECU's to shut down fully. Might also be worth, With ignition on trying moving gear selector into N and back into Park just in case it's not flagged PARK position in the ECU.

Comment

HURRARH IT LIVES!

After finally getting out to fetch my tools (socket set and multimeter were at work)
                    I've been able to refit the new battery. Old one was 9.5v, new 12.5v.. guess a dying battery then.

Leaving it alone for 20 mintues, neither key worked with the alarm /remote locking but I was able to start the car.
                    Went for a long run in it, and although i did get a stabilitrak error a few times (simple fix i know) it works fine.

Keys started working after about 10 minutes, so all is back to normal!

Thanks for all your comments and advice, ciggy now lives to fight another day.

Now to look for these stabilitrak sensors on ebay..

thanks again.

Comment

That's Great News.

Comment

Working...
                      X