Identifying Which Models Have the Dreaded M32 Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Which Models Have the Dreaded M32 Gearbox

I'm sort of thinking about getting another Insignia, and wondered if anybody knew of a quick/easy way to identify which models have the infamous M32 chocolate gearbox?

I had major issues with the gearbox in my previous Insignia, so I'd be keen to avoid another M32 if at all possible.

My original car was a 2011, therefore one of the earlier M32 boxes which was more prone to issues. I'd probably be looking at something around a 2015-2016 model, so any M32 would at least be the revised version with better bearings and revised end-casing, but once bitten, twice shy.

Any suggestions of how to establish the gearbox/engine combinations would be much appreciated.

Sure the facelifts have a revised bearing M32 ,which I think would only be fitted to the 1.8 petrol,,,I know the 140,and above diesels have F40,,but unsure what's in the 1.4t petrol
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
      Sure the facelifts have a revised bearing M32 ,which I think would only be fitted to the 1.8 petrol,,,I know the 140,and above diesels have F40,,but unsure what's in the 1.4t petrol
      Cheers. I read a bit about it a while back, and I believe they had bigger bearings, revised end-casing, and also some small changes made to the oil galleries to try and impove the oil flow to the most troublesome bearing located actually in the end-casing itself.

My previous one was a 1.8, and to be honest I doubt I'd have another, it was just too underpowered. The 1.8 was pretty decent in a Vectra, but the Insignia is a bigger and heavier beast overall.

I'm seeing a lot of 1.6CDTi models when I have a look about, you reckon they'd have the stronger F40 box? They seem to be listed as being 136 hp.

Comment

I've no idea about the 1.6 diesels mate
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
          I've no idea about the 1.6 diesels mate
          No worries, I'll keep looking and see if I can suss it out.

Comment

My 65 plate 1.6 d has m32 and has the bigger bearing I just had mine rebuilt as it whined in 5th and 6th but I knew that when I brought it he ce why I got it for 3k

Comment

Originally posted by Ianbristol View Post
              My 65 plate 1.6 d has m32 and has the bigger bearing I just had mine rebuilt as it whined in 5th and 6th but I knew that when I brought it he ce why I got it for 3k
              Cheers. Not good to hear that the newer M32 boxes still potentially have the same/simlar issues though.

Comment

Take a pic of the vin on the windscreen and just use one of the many free vin decoder websites to check out any possible buys.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                  Take a pic of the vin on the windscreen and just use one of the many free vin decoder websites to check out any possible buys.
                  I know this is an option, but ideally wanted to rule out going viewing any that I knew had the M32. Cheers though.

Comment

Originally posted by puppet View Post
                    My previous one was a 1.8, and to be honest I doubt I'd have another, it was just too underpowered.
                    marko301

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                      He's just addmitting he can't drive.
                      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                        He's just addmitting he can't drive.
                        Harsh, but probably fair!

The 1.8's fuel economy was also pretty poor. For basically having the same engine, my 1.8 Vectra was getting a good 10mpg more than the Insignia.

Comment

Harsh, but probably fair!

The 1.8's fuel economy was also pretty poor. For basically having the same engine, my 1.8 Vectra was getting a good 10mpg more than the Insignia.
                          Yeah my average over the 3 years I had mine was 23mpg. It makes no difference to me but I don't understand why they did that engine as an option. It's saved you nothing. It would have been cheaper to run if they'd stuck a turbo on it.
                          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                            Yeah my average over the 3 years I had mine was 23mpg. It makes no difference to me but I don't understand why they did that engine as an option. It's saved you nothing. It would have been cheaper to run if they'd stuck a turbo on it.
                            Ooft, 23mpg is pretty low, I'm thinking you must have driven yours in a slightly more "spirited" fashion than I drove mine!

Comment

Ooft, 23mpg is pretty low, I'm thinking you must have driven yours in a slightly more "spirited" fashion than I drove mine!
                              No, drove it like a granny. All short journeys. My average speed over the same 3 years was 14mph

Same as my current car. It's 14mph but average mpg is 29.5

Comment

Working...
                              X