EGR cooler repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR cooler repair.

Always had a whiff of coolant now and then coming from the car just now and then [not a lot of coolant being lost--very little infact] so Decided today to get up off me old arse and change the EGR cooler body---i've had the kit for a while now and when I was down at Franks in Keighley getting the oil seal done last year he mentioned that there had been a small coolant leak sometime and with it being a known problem it would be worth changing---so got on with it today and only took a couple of hours---the 5 torx bolts holding the body to the engine are quite difficult to get to--especially the one in the middle---four on the outside and the fifth inner one----lots of bits to remove--turbo heat shield/air intake to throttle body/vacuum pipes[3] and torx screws[3] holding the electrical connections and lift the ECU out of the way.you will need to drain the coolant out first--I raised the car up on my plastic ramps and slowly drained the system. Did have to drop the under tray[only the 4 quick release ones as you will like me drop something more than once. Best to take some photos before you start if you want to just to get everything back in their correct places.On the connections the one with the blue locking tab slides to the right to be able to unlock the connection-----put it all back together and filled up with new coolant and took it out for a run to get the air out of the system,will top up in the morning and then run it for a few days to see if I have any problems.I f you are going to do this job sometime its not too bad to do but I would suggest using some[small amount] of sealant on the rear most rubber gasket--just to hold it in place when you start to put it back together-I didn't have any so just took my time----sorry for the long winded post -----Dave

saved a few bob in labour Dave
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Yeah Dave---if I can do it myself I do try to get on with it---nice and sunny day and the wife had some friends around[keeping their distance] in the garden so I thought I need to get out of here ---its not a hard job just a lot of bits to take off before you can get to the cooler---why take it to a dealer to get the job done----hope everyone is fine and healthy over your way--------Dave

Comment

good on you Dave.
        self satisfaction knowing its fixed and you did it yourself mate...…...and the best bit.....saved you the wonga

Comment

Great write up Big Dave .
          I always say if a jobs worth doing , then do it yourself, at least you know it's done correctly.
          Happy mind , and you sleep better .

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Got to keep on going Rab ----otherwise it would be sitting in the old chair looking out the window---and that's definitely not me---Dave

Comment

lizzard-t Cheers my friend-----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                Yeah Dave---if I can do it myself I do try to get on with it---nice and sunny day and the wife had some friends around[keeping their distance] in the garden so I thought I need to get out of here ---its not a hard job just a lot of bits to take off before you can get to the cooler---why take it to a dealer to get the job done----hope everyone is fine and healthy over your way--------Dave
                We are all fine mate,thanks,just bored shitless !
                ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Brilliant job there Dave, well done. You have my admiration it's a job I attempted on my old siggy and got as far as 2nd bolt .

Comment

Good job done,good read
                    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                      We are all fine mate,thanks,just bored shitless !
                      Me too Dave, just have to keep looking for jobs to do at least the weather has been holding out for a change - - - Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X