No announcement yet.

2.0cdti sri cambelt gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you have a right by law to have this repaired by the garage at NO cost to you...
    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Langy View Post
      you have a right by law to have this repaired by the garage at NO cost to you...
      Yes your right mate and he will be doing it at no cost to me i just need to wait for him to get back off holidays, when the car was coming off the lorry on the dash it said water coolant low, i didnt even bother looking at the tank but its a job hes going to have to sort

Comment

Did he change the water pump when he did the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by MJSROOFING View Post
          Did he change the water pump when he did the belt.
          Yes he did

Comment

Ok guys so after the whole ordeal of my belt going the second time and having to wait for the mechanic to get back off his holidays my car should be ready this afternoon, the cause for it to go the second time was because of the camshaft sprocket had sheared off, now iv argued with the mechanic that he never checked it properly and is charging £150 for 4 days and parts,

Comment

Originally posted by Baz 160 nav View Post
              Ok guys so after the whole ordeal of my belt going the second time and having to wait for the mechanic to get back off his holidays my car should be ready this afternoon, the cause for it to go the second time was because of the camshaft sprocket had sheared off, now iv argued with the mechanic that he never checked it properly and is charging £150 for 4 days and parts,
              Good luck this afternoon, I really hope everything is ok

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
                Good luck this afternoon, I really hope everything is ok
                Yea and me thanks mate

Comment

Looking at the photo showing the 'hub' part it looks as though one part of the fracture is dirty and the other part is bright and clean. This indicates to me that there has been a crack present for sometime - the dirty part - and the 'clean and bright part where the final fracture has occurred. Not defending your mechanic but it would seem to me that when he first changed the belt a fracture was already there and the fracture has finally completed all the way round. The question, would someone check the camwheel to make sure it was not fractured which sometimes only shows up using crack detection machinery.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                    Looking at the photo showing the 'hub' part it looks as though one part of the fracture is dirty and the other part is bright and clean. This indicates to me that there has been a crack present for sometime - the dirty part - and the 'clean and bright part where the final fracture has occurred. Not defending your mechanic but it would seem to me that when he first changed the belt a fracture was already there and the fracture has finally completed all the way round. The question, would someone check the camwheel to make sure it was not fractured which sometimes only shows up using crack detection machinery.
                    I can see your point but a cambelt coming off at 75 would cause that wheel some stress and as its only thin cast i would of thought its normal to check that wheel ? I dont know im paying the 150 anyway i just want my car to be right, and i hope hes put a new wheel on and not a second hand 1 from the scrappy next door to him

Comment

I can see your point but a cambelt coming off at 75 would cause that wheel some stress and as its only thin cast i would of thought its normal to check that wheel ? I dont know im paying the 150 anyway i just want my car to be right, and i hope hes put a new wheel on and not a second hand 1 from the scrappy next door to him
                      You would not take the camwheel off to fit the new belt and belts do not come off, they break and in breaking would not put any stress on the wheel. Think you have just been unlucky. If you have used the mechanic before and have been happy with his work then perhaps someone you need to keep friendly with.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                        You would not take the camwheel off to fit the new belt and belts do not come off, they break and in breaking would not put any stress on the wheel. Think you have just been unlucky. If you have used the mechanic before and have been happy with his work then perhaps someone you need to keep friendly with.
                        Iv never used him mate, its a friend of a friend, are you sure it wont put stress on the wheel, ? When the timing belt snaps, the synchronization between piston and valve is lost, meaning the piston will make contact with the valve. The faster the engine was rotating the more force the piston has against the valve. This force will travel through the valve, bending it, and potentially through the fingers/buckets depending on setup and eventually through the camshaft to the pulley.

Comment

Looks like the nut has damage around the head which could be from the sprocket letting go or from a spanner on it if it was taken off...normally you lock the cam but some do stick a bar through the sprocket holes to stop everything moving so the nut can be undone...

I would think that sprocket has been off at sometime and stressed in the process....just my gut feeling..

Comment

So what’s the car like ??

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
                              So what’s the car like ??
                              I havnt long got back , went for a pretty long drive, everything seems ok so far, he said in all his life as a mechanic hes never ever seen a sprocket / pulley like mine and would never expect it to do what it did, the £150 he charged me was just for parts, he didnt charge me labour , so im happy really

Comment

I havnt long got back , went for a pretty long drive, everything seems ok so far, he said in all his life as a mechanic hes never ever seen a sprocket / pulley like mine and would never expect it to do what it did, the £150 he charged me was just for parts, he didnt charge me labour , so im happy really
                                Good news, I guess the sprocket should now be included if anyone else has a snapped belt

Comment

Working...
                                X