Over spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over spray

My paint work on the offside has a bit of a gritty feel. I think it is over spray as have notice today a bad paint job on the bottom sill.

You can't see anything wrong where the paint feels gritty but it is bugging me.

Any suggestions on the best course of action to make this paintwork feel smooth again?

fine cutting compound ,ie meguiars ultimate compound ???
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Thank you exclusiv. Rotary or by hand?

I've already tried tcut and something a mate gave me called Restore and neither of these have worked but have both been by hand.

Is it worth investing in a rotary polisher?

Comment

da (dual action) are the best polishers,,rotarys can burn the paint very easily

by the way ,chuck the t cut in the bin asap
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Back to basic. Wash, lube and clay. Watch and listen to the two videos i posted. Compounds wont always remove "lumps" just polishes the surface of the "lump"

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
          Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
            Back to basic. Wash, lube and clay. Watch and listen to the two videos i posted. Compounds wont always remove "lumps" just polishes the surface of the "lump"
            Sorry MattG. Not into all this claying and detailing. Just need to get rid of the gritty feel on a small area of paintwork.

I pay a tenner normally to have my car washed and hoovered and wouldn't normally worry about stuff like this, but it's on the pillar I hold on to when getting in/out of the car and the feel is beginning to bug me.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
              da (dual action) are the best polishers,,rotarys can burn the paint very easily

by the way ,chuck the t cut in the bin asap
              Thanks for the advice exclusiv. Only used the tcut cos it was in the shed, didn't realise I had it cos car cleaning isn't something I normally do.

Can I get a cordless dual action polisher, or one that works off of the accessory socket as I live in a flat and cant get power down to where the car is kept.

Comment

not sure mate about a cordless one tbh,theyre all corded ive seen,but could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Anran View Post
                  Sorry MattG. Not into all this claying and detailing. Just need to get rid of the gritty feel on a small area of paintwork.

I pay a tenner normally to have my car washed and hoovered and wouldn't normally worry about stuff like this, but it's on the pillar I hold on to when getting in/out of the car and the feel is beginning to bug me.
                  Claying that one spot would take ten minutes and cost about at least a fifth of buying a DA

But yes understand some people hate car cleaning

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                    not sure mate about a cordless one tbh,theyre all corded ive seen,but could be wrong
                    No worries exclusiv., been looking on line and have found both corded and cordless but not worth spending that kind of money on something that I am only going to use once.

Will try the meguiars by hand as its under 9 quid at the moment. If that don't work i'll just have to get used to the way it feels.

Comment

It's just not worth my time MattG. Used to spend hours cleaning my cars when I was younger, but priorities change as life goes on.

Can't be bothered with all this washing, rinsing, lubing, claying, waxing then polishing.

Just need something that will smooth it off and then maybe a bit of polish afterwards.

I brought the car to work for me, not the other way round

Comment

It's just not worth my time MattG. Used to spend hours cleaning my cars when I was younger, but priorities change as life goes on.

Can't be bothered with all this washing, rinsing, lubing, claying, waxing then polishing.

Just need something that will smooth it off and then maybe a bit of polish afterwards.

Hahaha yes i understand that.

BUT if you have the money and time then DA a good option. Your best bet would be to pop it into a body shop or local detailer for a cheap quick fix.
                        By time you have bought a DA, the polish / compound, done the job, applied wax you could have it sorted in a full decent professional detail.

Comment

If you're not that bothered about the car anymore, 40 grit sandpaper should get it off.
                          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Cheap cheap fix, wear a glove

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                              If you're not that bothered about the car anymore, 40 grit sandpaper should get it off.
                              It's not that I'm not bothered about the car at all. Just not bothered enough to spend my time cleaning it when it only costs a tenner to have someone do it for me.

Good job I know enough about cars to know you were being funny marko, someone else may have took your advise and wrecked their paintwork

Comment

Working...
                              X