Insignia Radio problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Radio problems

Does your mate have an aerial whilst you have a sharkfin? My signal can be bad at times but never as bad as you've described. Is FM just as bad as the DAB?

PS welcome to the forum

Comment

I've got the shark fin\DAB??set up in mine and have no issue where i live but whilst out and about in a couple of locations i lost the DAB signal but not the FM\AM signal. DAB is still a bit hit and miss in some parts of the country so might be worth checking its actually properly available. For a long time our house couldnt pick up digital TV or Radio until a change happened and now its pretty decent.

There is also the issue relating to some USB chargers causing an issue as well as mentioned. Some of the cheap eBay ones can cause an issue.

I listen to DAB a lot and to be honest i cant tell any real difference in quality between that and FM.

Comment

Has the aerial amplifier in the back failed, would this not cause your poor signall problems.

Comment

Hi,
          I am just flicking through some threads on here in regards to finding out where the aerial amplifier in the back of the Insignia is. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Basically (I'll try and be short)
          Purchased the car just over a year ago. Radio didn't work.
          Swapped the radio for a new one thinking that would solve the problem, but nothing, not even static noise.
          All other aspects of the radio work (blue tooth, sat nav etc)

I then checked all the fuses. They are all fine.

So the issue must be from the cable leaving the stereo to the aerial.

I have heard about there being an aerial amp in the back but I just can't seem to locate it by fumbling about. Any help would be much appreciated.
          Oh and it is a 2009 Insignia if that helps.

Comment

Hi, if I remember correctly it's located under the trim on the inside of the bootlid.
            It looks like this:

Here's a handy video for the lock switch repair but it shows how to get under the trim. You can see it at around 4:50 at the top of the screen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9WZLjMjSi4
            These are quite problematic since it has the heated rear window demister running through it and usually melts the wiring. Hope that helps

Comment

Thanks very much and I will give it a go. I'll report back to let anyone else who's wondering how I got on... plus it might not even be that. But fingers crossed
              Cheers for the help

Comment

Originally posted by mf2 View Post
                Thanks very much and I will give it a go. I'll report back to let anyone else who's wondering how I got on... plus it might not even be that. But fingers crossed
                Cheers for the help
                No worries, let us know how you get on

Comment

If I remember correctly, the shark fin doesn't do anything for the radio, the FM & DAB aeriels are the heated rear window elements (or look like them), that's why all the amps & connections are under the trims around the rear window.

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
                    If I remember correctly, the shark fin doesn't do anything for the radio, the FM & DAB aeriels are the heated rear window elements (or look like them), that's why all the amps & connections are under the trims around the rear window.
                    You are remembering correctly.

Comment

Hi all,
                      Thanks for your help on this.

Ok, so I purchased and replaced the amp that was under the trim of the boot lid. Easily found and thanks for guiding me there Ten6.

Annoyingly the radio still doesn't work.

In regards to what Kentishbloke has said. Do I need to look else where and try replacing something else? As I do have a shark fin aerial. (factory fitted)
                      Any help would be much appreciated. I will get to the bottom of this, it's bugging me.

Comment

These are what I found under the trim around my hatch. I'm not 100% but I think there are 2 amplifiers, not sure what the 3rd box is for, but I'm pretty sure the shark fin is a dummy & doesn't actually do anything other than cover up the hole that would be used by the roof mounted aerial on cars without DAB. If you've got the NAV model then the shark fin will be the GPS antenna I think.

Have you made sure all the connections are OK on the back of the radio itself?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_205949.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	242824

Name:	20180708_210050_HDR.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	242825

Name:	20180708_210149.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	242826

Comment

I have the dvd800 and I can't get any mw stations for the footy, so just left it

Comment

Hi all,
                            Just an update on how I am doing with this.

I had the stereo out to check all the wires were ok.
                            All seem fine but I will replace the Fraka to din cable just in case that is faulty. I did read on another site (unrelated to Vauxhalls) that replacing that has been successful for some.

I have also purchased the ZA Amp and the ZL Amp. (the ZK was unsuccessful).

I'm hoping to give this a good try over the week or so. I'll let you know if I have any success... or not. If it does work it may just help someone else in the same boat.

Comment

Hi all,
                              The latest.
                              So I changed 3 amps... ZK, ZA and ZL.
                              I also changed the fraka to din cable.

No luck still.
                              I did notice another amp further along the trim on the boot lid (next to the ZL amp) called the ZD, so I'll replace that just in case but I am not hopeful.

While I changed the the fraka to din cable I undid all the connections and made sure that everything was connected properly.

So I might be running out of ideas.
                              Maybe there is a break in the cable somewhere.

I'll let you know more once the replacement of the ZD amp has been changed, just in case that makes the difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X