• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mf2 View Post
    Hi all,
    The latest.
    So I changed 3 amps... ZK, ZA and ZL.
    I also changed the fraka to din cable.

No luck still.
    I did notice another amp further along the trim on the boot lid (next to the ZL amp) called the ZD, so I'll replace that just in case but I am not hopeful.

While I changed the the fraka to din cable I undid all the connections and made sure that everything was connected properly.

So I might be running out of ideas.
    Maybe there is a break in the cable somewhere.

I'll let you know more once the replacement of the ZD amp has been changed, just in case that makes the difference.
    So your issue is no audio whatsoever?

Comment

Hi all,
      The latest.
      So I changed 3 amps... ZK, ZA and ZL.
      I also changed the fraka to din cable.

No luck still.
      I did notice another amp further along the trim on the boot lid (next to the ZL amp) called the ZD, so I'll replace that just in case but I am not hopeful.

While I changed the the fraka to din cable I undid all the connections and made sure that everything was connected properly.

So I might be running out of ideas.
      Maybe there is a break in the cable somewhere.

I'll let you know more once the replacement of the ZD amp has been changed, just in case that makes the difference.
      Wow, this one is turning out to be a bugger. Good luck

Comment

Hi all

That's correct Lewis. There is nothing, not even the crackling noise to pick up a radio channel.

Just to note I have tried replacing the ZD amp and no luck.

I'll go back to the beginning to see if any of the original problems bring up something that you might be able to suggest.

On purchase of the car the problems were:

1) the radio didn't work (all the power to it was fine, the screen functioned, just not picking up anything).
        2) the arm rest charging socket didn't work (the one that faces the passengers)
        3) the rear wiper arm didn't work.

Everything else that I was aware of worked fine.

So...
        First I checked all the fuses under the bonnet, in the footwell and in the boot.
        Only one that I could see was out. And that fixed the charging socket.

Because that was the only fuse out, I decided that rear wiper arm motor would be the next thing to change and also the whole stereo.

Changed the rear wiper arm motor... and that worked.

Changed the stereo. Same thing happened as with the original stereo.
        I can use all the functions, bluetooth, sat nav, etc etc but when you turn it to radio.... silence.
        It doesn't even sound like it is making a connection... complete silence as if it was turned off.

So obviously as you all know,
        I have changed all the amps in the boot (ones that we are aware of)
        ZK, ZA, ZL and now ZD.
        While I was there I did have a look at the wires, just to see if there was a break or something untoward but I couldn't see anything obvious.
        I have had the stereo out so many times I have lost count... just looking to see if there is something not connected etc etc
        I have changed the Fraka to din cable in case there was a fault with that.

I'll be honest I am not holding out much hope that anyone can suggest anything else, but if anyone has anymore suggestions, to check some other amp, wire, fuse etc I am open to any advice.

Thanks for your time on this, your help is much appreciated

Comment

Hi all

That's correct Lewis. There is nothing, not even the crackling noise to pick up a radio channel.

I'll go back to the beginning to see if any of the original problems bring up something that you might be able to suggest.

1) the radio didn't work (all the power to it was fine, the screen functioned, just not picking up anything).

So...
          First I checked all the fuses under the bonnet, in the footwell and in the boot.

Because that was the only fuse out, I decided that rear wiper arm motor would be the next thing to change and also the whole stereo.

I can use all the functions, bluetooth, sat nav, etc etc but when you turn it to radio.... silence.
          It doesn't even sound like it is making a connection... complete silence as if it was turned off.

ZK, ZA, ZL and now ZD.
          While I was there I did have a look at the wires, just to see if there was a break or something untoward but I couldn't see anything obvious.
          I have had the stereo out so many times I have lost count... just looking to see if there is something not connected etc etc

I'll be honest I am not holding out much hope that anyone can suggest anything else, but if anyone has anymore suggestions, to check some other amp, wire, fuse etc I am open to any advice.

Does the sat nav navigation voice work?

Comment

Hi all

So...

ZK, ZA, ZL and now ZD.

I would suggest either getting opcom or visiting Plasma, he's not far from you and see what error codes are being produced.

I had a similar issue which was my own doing. When changing from the Sat nav back to the smaller screen, I screwed up the MOST connections and 1) produced no audio and 2) made parking light and steering wheel lights to keep being illuminated.

I believe this is not your issue. Did you get the replacement radio coded to your car?

I'm not sure if you're aware but the radio runs in a loop with the cluster>radio>climate>touchpad(if fitted) if a connection is broken or not seated correctly it could present this problem.

Do preface insignias have a radio module behind the right hand compartment? Or just facelift? Or is it all controlled by the silverbox unit.

Interesting problem you have there though.

Comment

With the preface it have a radio unit behind the climate panel (with the cd built in) and then a seperate DAB and seperate bluetooth module... radio can work without either of these...
              Tools Owned - MDI2 / Tech2 & lots more!
              questions for me? email me at plasmasrepairs@gmail DOT com

Comment

Hi all
                Lewish

Sat Nav voice directions work.

Not sure on the coding. The replacement stereo was aftermarket and it was for an Insignia 2009 model. So I'm not sure on the coding part.

I didn't know about the loop.
                So that is an interesting angle. I don't have the touch pad but I can start looking at the wires in that loop.

I might look at the fuses again. You never know, if the problem was an amp and it fixed the problem it may of blown the fuse straight away (doubtful but I like to clutch at straws ).

As far as I am aware it is controlled by the silver box. But I may be wrong. I haven't noticed a module in the right hand compartment. But I'll have a route around just in case I have over looked it.

plasma
                I'll give that a go, at least I can see if the radio works doing that.

Thanks for your help guys.
                I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Hi all
                  Lewish

Sat Nav voice directions work.

Not sure on the coding. The replacement stereo was aftermarket and it was for an Insignia 2009 model. So I'm not sure on the coding part.

I didn't know about the loop.
                  So that is an interesting angle. I don't have the touch pad but I can start looking at the wires in that loop.

I might look at the fuses again. You never know, if the problem was an amp and it fixed the problem it may of blown the fuse straight away (doubtful but I like to clutch at straws ).

As far as I am aware it is controlled by the silver box. But I may be wrong. I haven't noticed a module in the right hand compartment. But I'll have a route around just in case I have over looked it.

plasma
                  I'll give that a go, at least I can see if the radio works doing that.

Thanks for your help guys.
                  I'll let you know how I get on.
                  Fuses 1, 4 and 5 for infotainment, but if the works sat nav etc. Shouldn't really be a fuse more to do with wiring.

Comment

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead,
                    I'm interested to know if you ever got your radio fixed?
                    I have bought a 10 plate insignia this weel. it has no DAB reception but perfect FM reception. I knew this when i purchased the car.
                    This thread is one of the better ones I've found around the internet with information about the insignia and it's radio.

I feel I'm about to join you down your radio rabbit hole in tracking down what is causing my DAB issue.

I have a Question RE: the amps in the boot. When you replaced them did you (or anyone else for that matter) know which one deals with the DAB and which the FM,
                    my instinct says the ZD amp is DAB as the 'aerial' is much shorter but I can't find any info to be sure.

I've tried detaching both amps that connect the the rear window independently to try and kill the FM so I could identify which was which, but even with both amps and aerials disconnected, the FM radio works without any noticeable drop in quality... which I thought was a bit odd.

The other thing which makes me this it's the ZD is that mine is badly rusted and corroded.... I've got absolutely no idea how this has happened, as there is no sign of rust anywhere else. but regardless, I've ordered a new one.

Any help would be great.
                    Cheers
                    Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
                      These are what I found under the trim around my hatch. I'm not 100% but I think there are 2 amplifiers, not sure what the 3rd box is for, but I'm pretty sure the shark fin is a dummy & doesn't actually do anything other than cover up the hole that would be used by the roof mounted aerial on cars without DAB. If you've got the NAV model then the shark fin will be the GPS antenna I think.
                      Does anyone have a definitive answer as to the function of the shark fin on a GS Nav? Just curious
                      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                        Does anyone have a definitive answer as to the function of the shark fin on a GS Nav? Just curious
                        If it's like the facelift. It's got gps in it

Comment

sorry for the late reply Aaron.

I'm still in the rabbit hole with mine.

My next angle is to stick another radio in my car to see if it was the radio as well as the amps I changed.
                          But haven't had a great deal of time the last few months.... life getting in the way of my life .

Any change I'll let you all know, as it might help someone somewhere along the lines.

On a side note.
                          As mentioned the amps I have changed are:
                          ZD, ZL, ZA and ZK
                          Apparently there are another two amps, ZP and ZQ amps.
                          Does anyone know where they are located?
                          As I'll happily swap them over to rule them out.

Comment

Any advice appreciated, I've got a navi 600 unit that does not work. Checked glove box fuses 1 4 and 5, no joy.
                            It has however came on 2 times in last month for no more than 2 minutes...And it worked fine in that 2 mins

I've tested power to the radio through harness and showed power.

So I've got no sound for indicators, doors open , seatbelts etc..

Ive even bought a new battery for the car but has not helped, thinking it was a old battery/power issue.

I've not long bought the car and it was bought with the fault. Thinking it would be an easy fix.

Also Stop start has never initiated, driven the car nearly 600 miles since buying.

Glad to report it has done a regenerative tho( showing 0.05 on top consumers for rear heater)

Comment

Might be better if you would like to introduce yourself and your car to us all and then start a new thread with your problems----we do like pictures otherwise you don't exist-------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                                Might be better if you would like to introduce yourself and your car to us all and then start a new thread with your problems----we do like pictures otherwise you don't exist-------Dave
                                I did mate but got no reply.... but I'll attempt again now

Comment

Working...
                                X