Fitting Leds to the Gear Stick Surround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Leds to the Gear Stick Surround

Good how 2. If you want them to come on with the cars lights plus come on when you unlock the car then fade out like the interior lights do use the yellow wire behind the cig lighter as your positive feed.

kieran, it's not as hard as it looks, there is a much easier way of doing it than this!! You don't have to take the centre console out at all, and you can get a single LED strip that goes right around the gearstick, then you just use a bit of speaker cable to wire the LED strip to the passenger footwell light (or just wire the LED cable straight to the lighter socket if you want the LEDs on all the time the lights are on).

Aky208's done it this way as he likes thing to be done properly (eh Jay? ) but there are much easier ways around it!

Comment

Nice "How-to" Aky, I intend doing this mod. I could do with some instructions on how to get the console out. I have a few more jobs to do with it out of the way.

Comment

Excellent 'How to' mate. I thought about doing this myself but I have footwell light strips fitted in mine that are wired to the 12v supply in the cigarette lighter so they come on with the ignition so i'm not sure if this will be too much light.

Comment

I am waiting for my LED strips to arrive, when they do I will experiment with them rigged to a plug. I hope they will fade OK too.

Comment

Thanks for that, nice to hear. I hope they are not too bright.

Comment

OK, LEDs fitted - WOW! Fantastic!??I wired them up to the footwell lights, but may try them into the yellow of the cigarette lighter. How do I access this wire? Is it a console out job?

Comment

Depends where you are. Easy job especially if you wire into the foot well.

Comment

neverlandandy, on 10 January 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:
                  Anybody want to do this to mine

Please please please - just do it yourself, it is a doddle. No tools required apart from an electrical connector.??LEDs cost all of ?2.10

Comment

Guy the Gorilla could do it wearing boxing gloves! You don't have to remove the console, you don't even have to drill a hole if you don't want to. Get your wife to do it, or the kids, - or a well behaved pet perhaps?

Comment

I'll say it again.. Where are you Andy?

Comment

Bit to far away from me then. Honestly it's dead easy though. Can even cheat and solder to the bulb rather than splicing wires.

Comment

Something like this..

http://pages.ebay.co...7922026&alt=web

And this

http://pages.ebay.co...6803729&alt=web

And mine are actually wired in with these...

http://pages.ebay.co...5982623&alt=web

You can switch the lights off using the roof switch (unilateral pointed this out after I'd blown a fuse) only tricky part is finding the positive and negative.

Comment

I used the same LEDs, but bought from a UK seller. I also used those connectors. To be honest, I only discovered you could switch the interior lights off after I had fitted them!

Comment

Smudge645, on 11 January 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:
                              I only discovered you could switch the interior lights off after I had fitted them! :huh:/>

I ended up blowing a fuse because initially I tried soldering. Wish I'd have realised about the switch sooner.

Comment

Working...
                              X