0w-40 Biturbo oil requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:chindrop:
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Not necessarily so. I was quoted €10.35/l (euro) for 5W-30 which is probably what you got.
      The thing I note the most is the VAT rate?
      Here Goods and services supplied together are rated at 13.5%
      Services only 13.5%
      Goods only 23%
      That is if you leave car for service all work done including all parts fitted and labour are charged at 13.5%
      If you buy parts only and fit yourself then 23% vat is charged.
      This would seem to encourage employment of labour to fit parts.
      You got a complimentary visual health check though. powerful stuff.
      Sir your rear wheel has fallen off, I recommend you see our wheel department!

Service parts came to €151 but I paid myself a consultancy fee of €1000.
      Total cost €1150.

Comment

whats the difference between dexos 2 and dexos 1 as in my last service on my bi-turbo they used dexos 1 and the other two before that dexos 2.
        Thanks
        Castrol bulk oil it says on the invoice. although on the oil fill cap it says dexos could this be an issue in later life of the car?

Comment

Manual would indicate Dexos 1 only for petrol engines. Dexos 2 for both petrol and diesel. My January 2012 manual states: "A20DTR. Use of engine oil with other quality than dexos 2 is expressly forbidden" although this is not stated in the later August edition. It may just be simple typo but may be worth following up next time youre in, not sure how the quality differs between 1 and 2.

Comment

In truth the difference is relatively simple. dexos 1 oils are for gasoline engines and appear to be primarily aimed at the North American vehicle market. dexos 2 licensed oils are for diesel engines (and for European gas powered engines). Often dexos 2 licensed oils will meet API gas engine specs such as API SM, so you may be able to use a dexos 2 licensed oil in a gas engine, so long as it meets the requirements for your application.

It appears that GM has decided that API and ILSAC classifications are not robust enough to offer the protection and longevity they are looking for in a motor oil for their vehicles. As a result, it looks like they've decided to roll out the new dexos 1 motor oil specification specific to the GM brand. Of course, this isn't exactly something new.

European OEMs have been establishing their own motor oil specifications for years, requiring oil manufacturers to not only address the requirements of ACEA licensing but also those of their own proprietary specifications. In addition, even in the US, it has long been common for vehicle OEMs to place additional requirements on the lubes that are to be used for certain vehicles.

However, this is a giant leap from the currently accepted norm, where OEM specs are typically established only for specific vehicles that truly require the additional protection guaranteed by adherence to a more robust OEM specification. In this case, GM appears to be looking to require this new "dexos 1" specification for all motor oils which are to be used in ANY of their vehicles. In this way, claims GM, they will be able to consolidate the list of recommended oils for their vehicles to just 1 - any oil meeting the "dexos 1" specifications.

P.S. Got this from the web:

http://themotoroilevaluator.com/memb...#ixzz4K9dshUel

Comment

Working...
            X