Do swirl flaps go to heaven ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do swirl flaps go to heaven ??

When inlet manifold swirl flaps become detached and get ingested by the engine where do they go? Do they just get smashed to bits on top of the pistons, then passed through the valves then the egr valve and the hot side of the turbo and eventually get lodged in the honeycomb of the dpf?
    I removed my manifold at the weekend to find mine has eaten 3 flaps. I don't want them back, I just wanna know where they are

Ok, so it appears the pieces do end up in the dpf! Been having intermittent running issues with various dpf related codes and limp mode for the last three weeks since I heard one of the swirl flaps being crunched up in the combustion chamber. At one point the dpf temp reached 959 degrees, which I guess is hot enough to melt whatever metal the swirl flaps are made from. This appears to have caused cracks in the dpf honeycomb material and chunks to break loose causing intermittent blocking and extreme back pressure. Dpf has now been gutted and mapped out and it runs like a dream. Also remapped to about 190bhp which is a nice bonus!

Comment

Equine Dung. Apologies.

Comment

Well sorry you feel that way Buttons, and apology accepted, but it's the only explanation I can find for (a) where the pieces of swirl flap ended up. And (b) why the dpf issues started immediately after the last swirl flap came loose and got ingested. I'd pretty much given up hope with the car last week but after having the dpf removed on thursday all issues have gone and it drives fantastic.

Comment

Can the swirl flap be blanked like they do on the z19dth vectra engines.

Comment

Originally posted by R402faa View Post
            Can the swirl flap be blanked like they do on the z19dth vectra engines.
            yes they can
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Is the inlet made of plastic on the insignia is there some kind of blank you can buy

Comment

It's made of plastic .
                There are kits available.
                Best thing to do is blank them off but leave the swirl flap actuator connected so it dose not throw up EML .
                10-4 rubber duck !

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Il have a look see if I can find em

Comment

Working...
                  X