Insignia 2L SIDI turbo MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Key qualification on Dustyone's point is: 'ten years 100,000 miles diesel will work out far more expensive to run than petrol'

He is right as annual mileage of 10,000 miles is not enough to justify diesel over petrol, unless it's a personal choice. The higher your annual mileage the more diesel should be your fuel of choice.

The choice between petrol and diesel is a personal one.
      The mathematical equations as to 'financially' which one to choose are relatively easy to calculate. And I would advocate this as the first factor to decide in fuel choice.
      Petrol engines are good at one thing, doing a day's work in half a day, diesels at another, doing two days work in one day, it's what you want your vehicle to do and what you do with your vehicle that matters.

Financially, I drive a high power output diesel for the following reasons:

Diesel is taxed approximately 11% lower in IRL than petrol, and is currently 10c/l cheaper than petrol
      I drive a high annual mileage
      I rarely if ever drive in an urban environment or long trips on motorways

Personally I drive a high power output diesel for the following reasons:

It goes like stink from 1500rpm
      Low running costs
      My use profile of suburban driving suits a high power diesel i.e. vehicle rarely stops once moving so I use NM not BHP.

According to a well respected company's info on the web the difference for 2 similar Insignia models, 1P (1.4T) 1D (1.6TD), is 2.4pencepermile at 3y and 10,000m in favour of P. At 3y and 90,000m this swings to 1ppm in favour of D. The difference is not that significant either way at £250/yr.You'd probably save more by pumping your tyres.

BTW I have put up 200.000kms each on two Insignias and never had to replace a single glow plug or a DPF. Touch wood! Vehicle suits my use pattern, which is key.

Comment

I am sorry that I turned a petrol topic into a diesel topic again by only mentioning the word diesel! Since we are there, I heard a lot about diesel becoming more expensive to maintain in time and only comparing the maintenance kit price I see almost the same prices at oil (dexos2 for both), oil filter, air filter, glow/spark plugs (only for Ecoflex are expensive). So , if 10 GBP vs 100 GBP changed maybe twice (5 years...) means expensive, pardon me... this is crap!
        Oh, for diesels there's the famous o-ring, that admision flap that breaks, DPF, ... those are factory errors that can be avoided if the driver reads the manual or a forum to be aware of them. At least for a clogged DPF he can take the car outside the city to drive high RPM, at weekends . The wasted 50 km surely won't affect the fuel economy when a petrol drinks twice as a diesel . So, I really don't see the petrol costing less when they do the same mile/year and fueling twice higher. Most of diesel driver buy them for economy, not for high mileage. Finally, I have friends with diesels at 100000 miles that never had a problem, city drive, nothing changed, regular service. I also know about failed engines, probably bad maintenance or those known factory errors.

Comment

I honestly prefer a diesel to drive because of the higher torque figures. My parents have a Ford Galaxy People Carrier with a 2.0L diesel which is also remapped. They have had the car from new (it had 3 miles on it when they picked it up) and it has towed a big heavy double axle caravan all its life. My old man who also uses the car for his commute which is 1 mile in stop start traffic every day. They have never had any issues with the car except a failed power steering pump. The car is now on 89k miles and still on its original clutch, flywheel, glow plugs, DPF, wheels bearings, shock and springs. Before this they had the 2.0L petrol turbo in the same car and had nothing but problems with it. All engine related. It had three turbos in the space of the year. The car was also certified to tow the weight of the caravan so that was not an issue.

As you say its personal choice but when people say diesels are dirty, unreliable engines I just think they are being old fashioned tbh. The diesel engine as it stands is great and will rack up a hell of alot more mileage than a petrol engine.

I'm a lover of diesels there is no doubt but my next car will probably be a petrol as I want a rapid hot hatch Something like a Leon Cupra R, Golf R, Focus ST or something along those lines.

Comment

Yes, all personal choice. And also a pot of luck, any car can go wrong no matter what fuel source it uses. All you need is a car that is made on Friday to screw you over.
            My siggy is a petrol had it almost 3 years nothing really gone wrong with it, its slower than the vec diesel i had but that had issues with EGR, front left wheel bearing, early rear brake disc & pads replacement and snapped rear springs. The siggy is fine so far touchwood.

Comment

I got a Friday afternoon car

Comment

just to add, even at idle the car can push oil and coolant around the engine with no issues
                just look at the drive pulley vs water pump pully
                at 1k rpm your water pump would be doing about 5k rpm plus

Comment

Working...
                X