Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door wiring

Hi all

Last winter, when it got particularly cold overnight the next morning the car would ask me to drop the right rear window and put it back up again. Most of the time I couldn't as it was iced up so cleared the message and just did it the next time I started up. I put this down to the cold affecting the battery given when you remove the battery you have to do all the windows.

Over the last couple of weeks however, I've started to see a lot more of this message on the DIC and if you clear it it just pops up straight away again. If I try and use the driver controls to drop the right rear window or the switch on the door itself it doesn't do anything so presumably hasn't got power. This lasted for a couple of minutes after which I would be able to drop the window and clear the message.

Earlier this week I had a new addition to the problem - the car started complaining about the right rear door being open as well as moaning about the window. This only lasted a minute or so.

Finally today I had the window message and the door open message and it didn't clear for at least 10 minutes. The door open part is most annoying as you get the bleeping, although just the window message constantly flashing up on the DIC is distracting.

The errors don't crop up every time - it tends to be when the car has been left overnight.

So, my thinking is that the door wiring harness is loose at one end and this is why the window has no power, the computer wants the window position learning done again and it must default to thinking the door is open if it loses contact with the switch.

Does anyone have any other ideas, ever come across this before or have any guidance on which end of the harness it is likely to be how to get to it?

Thanks!

Have the wiring loom plug between door and body apart. I suspect it will be suffering from water ingress into the plug. I had exactly the same issue on the drivers front door and the plug was at fault.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like the door plug. I'd be taking it apart, wd40ing it and putting it back together.

Comment

This is what I found when I took mine apart....

Comment

Looks like you have it sorted then. Just one thing about the window warning, you don't have to actually take the window down at all, just pull the up button for a second.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately the plug seems fine and on checking various cables they all seem fine as well. Plugged it in to the computer and that through up an error code saying it has lost communication with the window actuator. Given a few cables go into the actuator and then on to the door lock that could reasonably be where the problem lies. I'll be able to find out tomorrow as I got a replacement actuator for £10 delivered from eBay over the weekend so I'll plug that in and see.

If that doesn't sort it, I'll just be living with the problem until January at which point the insignia will get traded in for a Outlander Phev. With the cold weather now, the car thinks the door is always open so at least it only chimes when pulling away!

Comment

I noticed when fitting new speakers to mine that all four doors have had a lot of water ingress at some point.

Could be the connector to the regulator is corroded rather than the door jam connector.

Comment

Unfortunately no obvious signs of water ingress. The new (used) part will be here today so will see if that answers the question. If not, it is likely to be wiring within the car itself (I have seen one report of this on the web) or the control module.

Comment

Ouch, control modules are a expensive to replace and program.

Hope your replacement part gets it sorted. Do you have access to a multi meter?

Comment

I do, and have tested all the cables I can get to easily. The ones in the lock don't seem to have an easily accessible plug so have only tested the common cables by putting a little nick in the cable as high as possible.

If the new actuator doesn't work, I'll just put up with it until I trade it in.

Comment

Hope you get it sorted, or it's not too annoying till you trade it in

Comment

Hopefully good news. Plugged the new actuator in and it seems to have sorted the issue. Will find out properly tomorrow when I go to work.

Assuming tomorrow is okay I'll be fitting it properly on Saturday.

Comment

I assume you did clean the male/female connectors on pins 1 and 2 in pic as they look corroded and pin 1 is 12v power, 2 earth so if these aren't 100% functionality will not be correct. Hope this helps if not already done.

Comment

Buttons, that was Ben's picture, not mine. My issue was different as no sign of water ingress anywhere.

Comment

Oops, apologies Lance, 100 lines,
                              I must pay attention in class
                              Hope you got it sorted and sorry for distraction.

Comment

Working...
                              X