"headlamp levelling malfunction" and "service AFL lamp"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "headlamp levelling malfunction" and "service AFL lamp"

Hi can anyone please help me tonight I got these two messages on the dash does anyone know what to do ??
    "headlamp levelling malfunction" and "service AFL lamp" also the right main bulb is not working its not the bulb or the fuse as I have checked them both and there seems to be condensation in the light I would like to take it out and seal it if I can so is there any demo's I could look at so I am able to take it out.

thanks

Hey Mick, bad news for you I'm afraid. The ballasts for the AFLs are underneath the headlights, once water gets in they blow and the whole system shuts down (no AFL movement). You need remove the defective ballast and replace with one of these.

Make sure you dry the headlight out and seal before you install and replace. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks Pasadena will the one you show me be the right one or will I have to take out light 1st and the match the one that's on there ?

Comment

No, just take out the defective headlight and swap the ballast out. 009-720-00 is the ballast type used by the Insignia AFLs.

Comment

Facelift and preface siggy xenons are different bulbs, ballast might be different too.

Comment

Yes, of course, assumed it was preface lift for some reason

Comment

Hi Lads

Mick, make sure that the numbers matching 009-720-00 5v, other way yor ballast won't work.
              ( Skoda have identical looking ballast , only different 009-610-00 5v ) and some sellers may say: it makes no different 610 or 720 = both works for Insignia , but it does not.

Comment

Hi,

I have the exact same errors - "Service AFL Lamp" and "Headlamp Levelling Malfunction" - high beam does not work. The guy who I bought the car from told me that the ballast was gone on the passenger side. I took him at his word and replaced this morning with the same part number which was 009 720 00 and it made no difference. Still have same two errors, light on dash and high beam not working.

January 2009 Insignia - Would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyBob View Post
                  Hi,

I have the exact same errors - "Service AFL Lamp" and "Headlamp Levelling Malfunction" - high beam does not work. The guy who I bought the car from told me that the ballast was gone on the passenger side. I took him at his word and replaced this morning with the same part number which was 009 720 00 and it made no difference. Still have same two errors, light on dash and high beam not working.

January 2009 Insignia - Would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks
                  I'd get a code reader on it. Opcom preferably.

Could a be sensor, could be something more serious.

Comment

The ballast provides a higher voltage to light the HID bulb. If the ballast is gone then the light wont light full stop, so on the right track. But the bulb, there's only one, is not lighting, and the main is also the dim, so if the bulb is gone neither will work, so I think you may be referring to the cornering light? The ballast is outside the headlamp unit so will not affect condensation. There are two level sensors for the AFL one on the front nearside and one on the rear nearside. I'd say your 'cornering' light bulb is gone and you may have an issue with a level sensor. Check they are clean and free of debris between the sensor and the signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
                      I'd get a code reader on it. Opcom preferably.

Could a be sensor, could be something more serious.
                      Cheers Lewish - I will check all our during the week and will update you how I get on

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                        The ballast provides a higher voltage to light the HID bulb. If the ballast is gone then the light wont light full stop, so on the right track. But the bulb, there's only one, is not lighting, and the main is also the dim, so if the bulb is gone neither will work, so I think you may be referring to the cornering light? The ballast is outside the headlamp unit so will not affect condensation. There are two level sensors for the AFL one on the front nearside and one on the rear nearside. I'd say your 'cornering' light bulb is gone and you may have an issue with a level sensor. Check they are clean and free of debris between the sensor and the signal.
                        Thanks Buttons - im gonna replace all bulbs as a starting point before looking at the sensors - will update you later in the week how I get on

Comment

Got a chance to check this properly last night:

1. Two warnings on dash - Headlamp Levelling Malfunction and Service AFL Lamp.
                          2. The cornering lights (H11's) are not lighting on either headlamp. Neither bulbs don't look to be blown
                          3. The HID bulbs (D1S) are lighting on both headlamps but the high beam is not working.
                          4. When lighting conditions fall the dash tell me that the auto lights are on. Similarly when I go from dark to bright the dash tells me that auto lights are off. While the car appears to be responding correctly to the various lighting conditions there is no high beam on the HID.
                          5. Daytime running lamps lighting normally.
                          5. Wiring connections to headlamps look fine.

Do you think it might be the Level sensor and if so do you know where exactly they are located?

I was going to change the H11s even though they don't look blown but was put off by the fact that they were held in by 4 torx nuts which looked hard to get at. Would changing these bulbs be worth trying?

I'm trying to avoid expensive dealer and need to get the car through the MOT as it is currently up - Hope this description is better than what I wrote previously - any help much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyBob View Post
                            Got a chance to check this properly last night:

1. Two warnings on dash - Headlamp Levelling Malfunction and Service AFL Lamp.
                            2. The cornering lights (H11's) are not lighting on either headlamp. Neither bulbs don't look to be blown
                            3. The HID bulbs (D1S) are lighting on both headlamps but the high beam is not working.
                            4. When lighting conditions fall the dash tell me that the auto lights are on. Similarly when I go from dark to bright the dash tells me that auto lights are off. While the car appears to be responding correctly to the various lighting conditions there is no high beam on the HID.
                            5. Daytime running lamps lighting normally.
                            5. Wiring connections to headlamps look fine.

Do you think it might be the Level sensor and if so do you know where exactly they are located?

I was going to change the H11s even though they don't look blown but was put off by the fact that they were held in by 4 torx nuts which looked hard to get at. Would changing these bulbs be worth trying?

I'm trying to avoid expensive dealer and need to get the car through the MOT as it is currently up - Hope this description is better than what I wrote previously - any help much appreciated.
                            Try the cheapest fixes first. I'd say replace the cornering lights and then go from there.

Comment

Have a look here with regards to control unit:
                              https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/17491-AFL-solution

Comment

Working...
                              X