No announcement yet.

Water ingress O/S/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No water as yet, and it has rained quite heavily recently....but, I haven't washed it since......I think it may be when I jetwash down the bumper edges to get all the crap out, I'm forcing water through somewhere, possibly that vent thing.

Thanks for the info and pics woody....yeah, I filled those holes when I had the original water leak from above the hatch under the black trim and through the lights.

and those clear stickers they put over them holes are an absolute joke, what is wrong with using proper rubber bungs!!

Fingers crossed I've sorted it now, but i'll update once I've washed it!!

Comment

Hmm right I'm still getting water in.....but I know where it's from now.

I've traced it to the bumper clip area as I blasted that area with the jetwash and water was coming into the boot!!.....either the silicone I've stuck in the hole has moved or it's coming in via the rivet holes.

I've ordered a rivet gun and I'm going to drill the existing rivets out, take the bumper clip trim off....silicone the holes and re-rivet it back on.....surely then I should be water tight!!

Comment

You'll be an expert at submarine building soon fella. The MOD may be after you to build their next vessel
        Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Well at least you have now found the problem... good luck getting it fixed for good [emoji1303]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pondy81 View Post
            Well at least you have now found the problem... good luck getting it fixed for good [emoji1303]
            Aye cheers mate.....Once it's sorted I can get all my boot trim and carpets back in!!!!

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
            You'll be an expert at submarine building soon fella. The MOD may be after you to build their next vessel
            Well they are just up the road from me.....although I don't think a tube of multi-purpose clear silicone would be in the kit for leak prevention! ha ha

Comment

Right!!! Right!!! UPDATE!!

I am now water tight!!....well I bloody hope so anyway!!

Bumper off, rivets on the bumper holder drilled out and the offending hole.....

Why the hell Vauxhall didn't fit proper bungs in these holes is beyond me!!

anyway, the silicone I'd stuck in there a while ago wasn't very well done and was obviously where the water was getting in as the shitty bit of tape Vauxhall put over the hole from the factory was half disintegrated too!

So this time I cleaned the area up, filled the hole with silicone, and covered it with a good lump of duck tape.....no process or after pictures I'm afraid as I had it all back together before I thought about it!!

I went belt & braces too and siliconed the holes the rivets go through and over the top of the rivets too!

I could have used tin snips and cut away the area from the inside to get to the back of the hole, as it's not a huge job & which wouldn't have needed the bumper off etc, but that's slightly brutal.

Anyway, fingers crossed...

Comment

Glad i saw this!!

Originally posted by MadOnVaux! View Post
                Right!!! Right!!! UPDATE!!

I am now water tight!!....well I bloody hope so anyway!!

Bumper off, rivets on the bumper holder drilled out and the offending hole.....

Why the hell Vauxhall didn't fit proper bungs in these holes is beyond me!!

anyway, the silicone I'd stuck in there a while ago wasn't very well done and was obviously where the water was getting in as the shitty bit of tape Vauxhall put over the hole from the factory was half disintegrated too!

So this time I cleaned the area up, filled the hole with silicone, and covered it with a good lump of duck tape.....no process or after pictures I'm afraid as I had it all back together before I thought about it!!

I went belt & braces too and siliconed the holes the rivets go through and over the top of the rivets too!

I could have used tin snips and cut away the area from the inside to get to the back of the hole, as it's not a huge job & which wouldn't have needed the bumper off etc, but that's slightly brutal.

Anyway, fingers crossed...
                Hi mate

glad I seen this older post- im getting water leaking in from the near side too exactly at the point where I pour water at the bit where the bumper meets the rear quarter panel!!
                Gonna take it off tomorrow and have a look- do you still have pictures? Im not too technical so don't want to break my bumper clips or anything or do you think I can seal any holes in situ? Any hekp would be great

Comment

Hi mate...

I've edited the post with a little trick to get the pic to show

You can fill the hole in situ but you'll have to drill through the bumper clips/carrier as another member did on here......or like I nearly did, work out where the hole is from the inside and cut the metal away (You'd never see it once the trim was put back anyway).....otherwise you'll have to drill out the rivets and re-rivet it back on.

It's such a pain in the arse to sort, and Vauxhall should have fitted proper bungs.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Cheers MOV!

That's a big help!

Waiting for a dry day then ill pop the bumper off and carefully drill out the old rivets on the clip. My leak is nearside so its hard to see the hole from the inside without cutting out the metal so ill do it from the outside. Hoping I can get some trim clips with a flat head and maybe silicone them into the offending hole (s) if not, I have some strong puncture repair patches that I can silicone in place

Ill get some pictures up when I get it done as well and then keep my fingers crossed!

Comment

Hi MOV

Edited the post as I think I have fixed it ! Decided to take the bumper off today as weather good only to find screws in wheelarch rusted and cant get them off as heads are gone. Gets the Dremmel out to cut slots in them but phones Vauxhall to be told none in stock....

Plan B- removed the fusebox from the nsr boot and lo and behold -there's the hole staring me in the face. Shone a torch on it and there's no tape -just the black plastic bracket.

I poured water over that side of the car and you could see water running down- not much getting in but I didn't use a lot of water. Rivet holes appear dry. So taking your advice I've basically filled the hole from the inside using Sikaflex and packed it in - the theory being its pretty decent quality and hopefully works first time!!

Also did those stupid grommets on the rear light - just a small bead around should hopefully help:

Now all I have to do is wait for it to all dry and give it a good hosing and hope it solves it. Also considering whether to duck tape the extractor vents as well.

I am also going to get bungs and plug/silicone the holes where the rear gutter panel should be that runs from the top of the roof as these are taped over at the mo.

And my rear footwell is still a little squelchy but seems to be drying out sloooooowly

Ill update you in the next few days after I have given it a good wash and see if the leak has gone - if not, have ordered new bumper screws and whil whip it off next week and take the whole bracket off - hopefully not needed
                      Last edited by SOPRANO69; 24-02-2018, 01:43 PM. Reason: Fixed the issue

Comment

Nice one Soprano.....I was going to say, if it's on the near side you can get to the hole.....I'm glad you've sorted it!

Water Leaks are the bane of my life, pretty much every car I've owned has had one of some sort....and my Dad too....I'm like a jack Russell after a rabbit with them, I never stop until I've fixed them!!

Comment

Working...
                        X