Water ingress O/S/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water ingress O/S/R?

All I did was take the OSR light unit out to check the bulbs and now I have water getting in that corner of the boot!!

I've even taken the light back out, used silicone around all the mountings and it's still getting in....any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

I took both mine off, to polish behind them (yes I know, how sad). I just can't see how you are getting water in there. Are you sure it's not from somewhere else? Have you tried squirting a garden hose at the cluster while looking from the inside?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Stoat View Post
      I took both mine off, to polish behind them (yes I know, how sad). I just can't see how you are getting water in there. Are you sure it's not from somewhere else? Have you tried squirting a garden hose at the cluster while looking from the inside?
      It's not sad at all that, it's a good idea.

It's only just started since I had the light out though.

I had water coming in various places a year or so ago, and one was the NSR light....I took it out, siliconed all around the grommets, put it back in and all has been fine since.....now the O/S is letting in.

Where else can it come in from then?......BTW, I've had all the load area stripped down completely empty so I'm pretty familiar with any access points

Comment

Water ingress O/S/R?

Where are you finding the water? Could be a number of things like you have clipped a seal, or a seal has been pulled off/in or perished. Have a check of the drain channels as they can block up with crud.

Edit: just re-read your original post. When I pulled my cluster out I managed to cause the boot seal (one that goes all the way round) to lift slightly. Make sure it's fully pressed in. Does your boot make a slightly funny noise when closing?

Comment

If the boot rug is damp behind rear passenger seat check the trim above tailgate seal. If the trim clips are loose/rattle the water will piss in. the roof aerial is also a common cause.
          Take the panel off the right hand side of the boot, I think you will find water is coming down the C pillar not the tail light.
          sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Originally posted by nick.b View Post
            Where are you finding the water? Could be a number of things like you have clipped a seal, or a seal has been pulled off/in or perished. Have a check of the drain channels as they can block up with crud.

Edit: just re-read your original post. When I pulled my cluster out I managed to cause the boot seal (one that goes all the way round) to lift slightly. Make sure it's fully pressed in. Does your boot make a slightly funny noise when closing?
            Thanks Nick

I'm finding water in the right hand corner of the boot under the carpet.

I'll check the boot seal but i'm pretty sure I didn't touch iy

Originally posted by Minuteman View Post
            If the boot rug is damp behind rear passenger seat check the trim above tailgate seal. If the trim clips are loose/rattle the water will piss in. the roof aerial is also a common cause.
            Take the panel off the right hand side of the boot, I think you will find water is coming down the C pillar not the tail light.
            I had that trim off when I was sorting the water leaks a while ago.....my boot was piss wet through & under the rear seats too.....I silicone everything under there, and also where the clips fit.

I also removed the aerial and sealed all under that.

Comment

I think I remember reading somewhere on IE about the pipe leading to the rear screen washer jet splitting and leaking into the boot. Might be worth checking. Could be you've only noticed the water after removing the light maybe?
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                I think I remember reading somewhere on IE about the pipe leading to the rear screen washer jet splitting and leaking into the boot. Might be worth checking. Could be you've only noticed the water after removing the light maybe?
                Thanks marko.

It's just clean water, no screenwash in it at all...and I think I'm right in thinking the screenwash tube comes through on the n/s rather than the o/s

and the water definitely wasn't there before I removed the light.....I've become slightly paranoid at water leaks over the years, especially on this car given how bad it was, and continually check under the boot carpet and spare wheel well for water, thus how I found this.

Comment

No worries, not a clue then. You could do to shut a couple of vape enthusiasts in the boot and look for escaping vape from outside.
                  2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Water ingress O/S/R?

You could always use a uv dye mixed with some water pour it over the whole boot. Any leak will be traceable with a black light from the inside out.

Find leaks you would otherwise miss. Safe to leave in any system Add to the cooling system to find any leaks in the water pipes or radiator. One 25ml bottle of dye will do 10 litres of coolant/antifreeze.

Btw no idea what damage if any it would cause to paint. Excuse to give the car a wax

Edit: Not connected to the seller in anyway, just one of the first sellers I clicked
                    Last edited by nick.b; 14-11-2016, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I used that dye on my vectra when it had a leaking boot it does work and did not damage my paint and worked well and found the leak

Comment

Cheers Jem....I've not as yet had chance to investigate it properly.

I'll report back as and when.

Comment

I think I may have found the issue.....the 'balls' on the light that fit into the rubber 'cup' grommets weren't in properly and had lifted on of the grommets....and hence letting water in.

Comment

Brilliant! I hope you have found the problem MOV.

Comment

Working...
                              X