Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine oil problem (oil not showing)

Hi guys,

Two weeks ago I had an interim service done with Vauxhall, till yesterday when the "engine oil is low" display showed up on the dashboard. I took it to Vauxhall today and they said my oil filter had failed and that it was a genuine part and they apologised and had it fixed with new filter and seal....

I just checked the dipstick after several miles of driving and there seems to be no oil, unless it is a clear colour. The Team at Vauxhall told me it can take sometime for the oil to go black.

Now the question is I am not sure whether there's oil in the car or whether I have to wait hours/days/weeks before the oil turns black and becomes black/visible with the dipstick.

Any experts or technician who may the answer to this?

It's is a 2.0 CDTI insignia

Thanks beforehand

Pull the dipstick out. Wipe it. Put it back in and then check. Should be oil on the end. Fresh oil should look golden yellowish. Touch the dipstick and see if theres oil on the end. If in doubt ask a friend to check it for you

Comment

I have taken the dipstick out, it just seems empty. I have attached a picture of what it looks like. Note this is before wiping it down, just straight pulled out and placed on a tissue to take a picture.

Last edited by insigniaftw; 15-11-2016, 09:13 PM. Reason: image

Comment

all that knurling on the insignias dip stick makes it harder to read-should be flat/smooth imo

Comment

It is hard to see it when its fresh oil but you should be able to see it. As Mo says, pull out the dipstick, wipe and put in and pull out again. Make sure you're not parked on a slope either
          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Where abouts are you? Any local members that can help out?

Comment

One: Filter failure will not affect oil level. On start up filter fills with oil whether or not filter element is intact or not. It will affect service interval if it fails. I have never heard of a, genuine oil filter failing. I am wary.
              Two: Did dealer put insufficient oil in at service. I would think so. Hence low oil level. This may show on bends, or on start up on hills.
              Three: If the filter failed as dealer described then a complete oil and filter change should be completed as per service manual. Vauxhall would hardly want bits of paper/metal floating in the oil? This should be recorded on the vehicles history.
              Four: Did the dealer just top up the oil to the correct level? to cover up original error? My guess is yes.

On a positive There's oil there, nice and clean too, thats a good sign.
              I'd ask more questions just to be awkward.

Comment

Working...
              X