Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil near turbo

Hi,
    I need some help or advice, I have found some oil leaking near the turbo, just below where the air inlet attaches.
    I'm getting worried if it's anything major or if it's just a gasket that has gone!!

Any advice is much appreciated!

I wouldn't panic about it too much, I'm guessing most of us have signs of oil around that area. If you pop out the sensor/pre-heat element thing, right at the top of your pic, shine a torch inside and you will probably see a good amount of oil inside that air inlet pipe (or maybe its just mine!) I was a bit worried that it was coming from the crankcase breather pipe but it's not. Must be a bit of blowback from the turbo oil seal but it's been like it for quite a while and not causing any problems.

Comment

Cheers, was a bit worried as it's on top of the joining part. I'll try taking it off and looking. Just could do with a way to stop the oil escaping as it keeps dropping on something hot and the mrs goes mental about something burning 😖😖😖

Comment

I have the same problem and my mechanic said that there is (almost) no car except when new without leaks/sweat and as long as the engine oil does stay between min and max of the oil dip then there is nothing to worry. However, some turbo rebuilders said that a turbo should not leak and the presence of leaks could mean a lot of things, not necessarily that the turbo life is near end. Could be turbo shaft sealing, crankcase breather, oil return line clogged with coked oil(immediate stop after hard run). My biggest problem is that burning smell caused by this leak that from time to time falls on the hot cat-coverter , when stopped at a traffic light the smell enters into the cabin and dissapears when driving. My motor is a petrol 2.0T with 89000km / 55000 miles and teh same air filter-compressor pipe sweats, sometimes even have a clear oily residue. Dismounting the pipe i saw oil there. The compressor wheel did have a small up/down/left/right movement(acceptable), but no in/out. If the turbine bearing/shaft/seals were leaky why the oil level doae not decrease in time? if the crankcase breather sweats is it possible that this sweat turn into oil? Why this breather is pushed into compresor/air pipes and not outside the motor? Some said that is it somehow benefic for the pipes to be oily. One even told that he cannot adjust/fix the mount pipe/compressor since there have to be a degree of flexbility there. I thought that at turbine side gets hot, not at compressor, since it only extracts air.
        Sorry for the long post, but almost every mechanic told me that i should be prepared to change the turbocharger and since google is free I learned some things about the turbine to know that it can be maintained/verified before any radical action.

Comment

Theres a quick fix ..the gasket is leaking ..., you will be surprised how much oil will be forced out through the faulty gasket / pipe connection . The Gasket costs only £2.05 from a Vauxhall dealer. Did mine recently, and now no sign of any oil . Best go into a dealers and check the computer with them for the part number , as you can spend more money on phone calls .

Comment

I haven't seen a gasket there, a mechanic detached the piped and showed me the oil, but he said that he cannot use more force on that ring that hold the pipe, it may crack. For me , not to be able to seal it was hard to believe. Here a see only the ring/clamp number 5 without any gasket. Maybe the garket come together with the pipe.

Comment

To be fair the pictures looks as though the pipe is too far onto the turbo and the edges are not flat with the intlet on the turbo.

Comment

Looking at the Photo the Gasket is leaking ....its the one at the bottom feeding from the oil cooler. It has 2 x bolts holding the pipe together. You will need to remove the exhaust guard ( 4x 10 mm Bolts - 1 is shown in pic ) and the Air intake Pipe to the Turbo then is very easy to access both bolts from the bottom . Replace gasket and refit , the gasket is very thin and I had doubts that it was blown but on refitting all is good.
                Make sure the connection of the Air Intake pipe is seated nicely before you retighten the Jubilee clamp.

Comment

Cheers, isn't the part on eBay?? Lol

Comment

No , Doubt it ...Dealer Part ..... cost £2.05 .....was surprised how low the cost was from the stealers .

Comment

I'll have to get 2 then!! Bargain

Comment

Sorry to jump on thread (although old) wonder if anyone can enlighten me. The pipe in the bottom left of picture which goes into metal housing. The other end of that pipe also goes into metal housing. Mine appears to be leaking oil from there? Any ideas what this pipe is and is it easy to replace. Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                        X