Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning box or remap?

Guys,

Really enjoying the Insignia but can't help feeling I'd like a little more power at times....

It's the 130bhp engine. Happy to go either way, would just want what's best (not most powerful or most torque etc, just which is the best in terms of quality). Was also wondering what the differences are between the 130 and 160 engines? Assuming base map differences in fuelling, boost etc but are there any physical differences? Turbo? Clutch/Flywheel?

You hear about DMFs being prone to failure, perhaps more so after remaps when there is a lot of torque. Then I wondered if it's the same clutch/DMF on the 130 and 160, it would be less of a worry.....

Cheers

130 and 160 have different gearboxes,,,the one in the 130 has a **** reputation,,,not sure if both gearboxes share the same clutch and flywheel though
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Tuning box or remap?

I had a tuning box in my old Astra diesel and it was great. Plug in and off you go, remove for warranty or MOT time if needed. Never had any issues with mine with DMF etc.

The revised M32 has had its oil depriving issues sorted and there are lots of examples of them running well over 350ftlbs. Warren G from the Astra owners club have one stilling just under 400ftlbs of torque on a standard gearbox with uprated clutch with no issues.

More info on M32: http://www.wgmotorworks.co.uk/repair...n/m32-gearbox/
      Last edited by nick.b; 31-12-2016, 02:44 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Nick,

Thanks for the link, very interesting. Mines a 59 plate, not sure if it will have the revised design? Sometimes interesting points about the causes of failure being heat and no oil change. Assume a transmission oil cooler is a lot of hassle to fit but what about gearbox oil changes?

Comment

Tuning box or remap?

From what I had read and heard, all of the insignias and new (mk6) Astra had either the f40 or the new M32 bearings and or casing.

Apparently the new bearings allowed more oil to pass over them, and then with the re-design the new outer casing was thinned around the problem bearings and it allowed more oil flow.

Courtney motorsport do a M32 oil cooler kit designed for the Astra vxr (mk5) but is expensive.

A lot of the guys over on vxr online and Astra owners club, recommended changing the gearbox oil every 2-3years, I never done it and never had any issues for the 50k miles I put on mine (sold at 98k).

Comment

Fair enough. I shall stop worrying about the gearbox!

As for a remap/tuning box, are there any recommendations?

Comment

I had a dtuk red box and it was great for the power and variable dial.

Setting 4 was normal, more power but smooth delivery improved mpg (used this most often) and setting B was mental was tons of power and produced too much torque too low down I destroyed a set of new front tyres in less than 6k miles, good fun tho. The other settings (18 in total) were somewhere in between or put out too much fuel so too much smoke for my liking.

Re-maps are more permanent and similar price but if the cars not under warranty and you plan on keeping it, a re-map is the "proper" way of doing it.

On my insignia I plan to re-map it next due to it not being under warranty and I want to keep it a while.

Re-maps can also get rid of the dpf and egr software.

Comment

Hi guys [emoji112] recently just bought the insignia 2.0 turbo 4x4 elite nav looking to upgrade the exhaust as part of a stage 1 up grade but when looking for stainless steel exhausts (scorpion) I can only find ones for the VXR!! Would this one fit mine?????

Comment

Can't answer your question but I hope you have a good warranty with that spec!! Lots of known problems with the Haldex system. Way to check if yours is on its way out is to put on full lock and drive slowly in 1st and reverse and see if it crabs. Mega money to sort out if it needs doing circa £4-5k for replacing the Haldex
                  Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Ok thanks that’s handy to know as it’s still on warranty with Vauxhall at the moment. I’ll have a look tonight

Comment

Working...
                    X