How 2 Dash Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How 2 Dash Cam

Fitting a dash cam is quick and painless and took me around 15 min from start to finish.

What you need:

Dash cam (obviously )
    Hardwire kit with 12-5volt reduced like the nextbase kit halfords sell
    Cable ties (optional)

Tools:

Trim removal tools

How to:

First remove the glove box undoing the 4 hex screws (sorry no pics).

Now pull the door seal towards you so a portion of it comes off (can be quite difficult first time)

Continue to remove the seal up the way

Do not remove the full door seal as it's a pain to fully refit!

Now with a thin trim removal tool or flat head screwdriver (wrapped it tape to stop any damage) gently pull the A pillar cover from the top. There are two clips and the cover is attached to the frame (see pic below)

Once you have heard both clips pop out carefully lift the cover up and across the dash to get it out your way.

With the wiring kit, now select the location of your dash cam (I fitted mine behind the mirror) and working back the way line the cable across the top of the windshield.

Now tuck the cable into the headlining using your thin removal tool (wouldn't use a screwdriver as it may scratch the glass).

Line the cable down the a pillar and down towards the glove box.

All kits require positive and negative connection. The negative spade connector can be connected to the factory ground under the passenger sill

To remove the sill pull away the door seal and using trim removal tools (or your fingers) pull the trim piece up from just after the curve. It should come away enough to expose the ground point.

Secure your negative spade to the ground making sure to properly re tighten.

As for the positive connect a piggy back fuse lead (supplied in the nextbase kit) to glove box fuse no6. Fuse no6 is switched live and will not drain your battery when the ignition is off.

How 2 Dash Cam

Once connected to fuse no6 (switched live) you can now start to tuck and secure the wires with cable ties (sorry no pics) and replace the trim.

For securing the trim with clips, carefully locate the trim back to the original position and give it a light smack with the palm of your hand.

When replacing the a pillar trim BE VERY CAREFUL nocking it back into place as the a pillar hides a curtain air bag.

Replacing the door seal be careful to make sure that it is fully located before pressing it into place. If your door isnt closing as before then the seal hasn't been properly replaced.

DISCLAIMER!

I take no liability for you damaging your vehicle or injuring yourself or other. This is only a guide and should only be under taken by competent persons.

Comment

Not really fair that you're discriminating against incompetent persons, like me.. Is there a how to for us?

Comment

Lol no offence buttons. Anyone could do it. Just a bit of patience needed.

Comment

Nice how to guide, you got there. Another one on the "things to do list". Main two external's I want are parking sensors for the rear and also powder coating the alloys.
          C4 Grand Picasso 2015 Exclusive.

Comment

I would say rather then messing around with the door seal, the A pillar is easily removed without touching the seal to allow the cable to be fed through, ensuring it is out of the way of the airbag. For ground/negative you can use the hex screw you can see in the first picture.

Comment

The factory ground point has a resistance of less than 0.1ohm meaning it will be a very good ground, can't speak for the hex but in the first pic as didn't check it but could be an alternative.

Comment

It worked fine for me for over a year before I changed car.

Comment

Could be a good option for those not wanting to take more of their car apart.

Comment

Did you fit the Ferrite Core as well? It states to place it 20cm from the camera which seems like it would be a pain to hide away!

Thanks

Comment

the best addon i bought for my dashcam was this

it meant i did not have to bend the main lead 90 degrees which kind of irritated me

i also took the short route from glove box up the pillar behind the airbags and along the roof so it must of taken me 8 minutes 24 seconds compared to your 15 minutes

Comment

Just setup mine thanks to this thread

Comment

Just wired up my nextbase 412gw using this guide and it works great and only took me 15mins

Comment

Hi,

I have noticed that my dashcam (nextbase duo) doesn't seem to turn itself off once I turn the ignition off and leave the car...?? It fires up automatically once I turn the ignition on.

Any ideas what could be wrong. I followed this guide.

Comment

Originally posted by welshhuw View Post
                              Hi,

I have noticed that my dashcam (nextbase duo) doesn't seem to turn itself off once I turn the ignition off and leave the car...?? It fires up automatically once I turn the ignition on.

Any ideas what could be wrong. I followed this guide.
                              Parking mode?

Comment

Working...
                              X