How To: Replace Oil Pickup Seal in Sump A20DTH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
    I asked tge garage i some times use and he quoted £550 to do it. Worryingly though he asked if it was rear wheel drive
    Definitely not one you would trust with big jobs. The normal oil and filter change, brake discs and pad change they should be able to manage

Comment

Originally posted by Tattootroy
      I got the oil pump warning yesterday morning and this morning. In this now very cold weather. It came on for a few seconds then went. Shut engine off, restart the warning didn’t came back. Seems my seal needs changing too.

Does any one know if insignia 2011 with engine:A20DTH, Af40 gen2 year 2010 and upwards automatic transmission has the cut out for the hard to reach bolts?
      I have the same car. I don't think that we have the cut out. My preferred mechanic quoted me yesterday £310 Inc vat for the seal, oil, oil filter and 4 hrs labour. Might be an idea to replace the oil pump as well if you've got to do all that work.

Comment

Is anything else attached to the sump? How long should this job take if you have the notches?

Comment

Originally posted by Jontwhale View Post
          Is anything else attached to the sump? How long should this job take if you have the notches?
          it took me about 5-6 hours all in

jack car up
          bottom engine cover off
          drivers side wheel off
          hub nut off
          driveshaft and intermidiate shaft off plug where it goes into gearbox so you dont lose gearbox oil
          exhaust frontpipe off
          couple of wiring connectors off at rear of sump
          dipstick out
          undo sump nuts
          i used pry points at front of sump and gearbox to split seal on sump

put new oil pickup seal on clean all mating faces 3mm bead of rtv
          put it all back together !

Comment

Does any extra work need to be carried out prior to accessing the sump ie removing subframe or anything? Also, if cutouts have been made previously, will they be visible from under the car? I have just bought a 2010 (59 plate) 2.0 cdti and am receiving this error message on first start up. Garage quoted me between 7.5 And 10 hours labour so not gonna be a cheap job.

Comment

Hello,

My car didn’t yet had the low-pressure warning.

I let my garage sort it out as a precaution and due to my car doesn’t have the precut holes in gearbox.

Total cost: 7000 SEK, about 600 GBP

Insignia Bi-Turbo 2012, F40 manual gearbox
              11 4000km, about 70 000miles

Regards
              Niklas

Comment

just watched the process on youtube seems like something i could manage ,also ive seen it done without taking drive shaft out just remove bearing seal bracket and undo sump bolts

Comment

Originally posted by robbo137 View Post
                  just watched the process on youtube seems like something i could manage ,also ive seen it done without taking drive shaft out just remove bearing seal bracket and undo sump bolts
                  I often wondered why the drive shaft had to come out but now you say it’s possible without taking it off i might look at doing this myself

Comment

Does anyone know if the warning still returns despite changing the seal? Need to get mine done but am wondering if this solves it entirely or it’s just a temporary fix.

Comment

Might want to start a new post about your problem and it helps also if you introduce yourself and let people know some details about your car etc-------Dave

Comment

having this repair done atm.Is there any way to tell whether damage has been done? aside from engine not running/making loud noises?

Comment

Originally posted by RB02259 View Post
                          having this repair done atm.Is there any way to tell whether damage has been done? aside from engine not running/making loud noises?
                          Check the oil for specs of metal also the bottom of the inside of the sump and strainer.
                          You could have the end caps removed and inspected for signs of wear

Comment

great - thank you for your input

Comment

All depends on how long you have been running it for with the warning coming on .
                              Though saying that when mine started doing it , I ran it for about a month , but I got rid if it .

.K.M.P.C.U
                              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Hey lads, I haven't seen any warning message about low oil on the dash, but when plug in the op-com and monitoring engine, at the "oil pressure switch" position it says "low". Is it normal as should be, or this is the first sign? Anyone have seen any other data for this position? Like "ok" or "normal" or "high"?

By the other side, position "oil pressure sensor" is showing 192 kpa at idle. A bit confusing for me...

Also does anyone has experience to fit the metal upgraded seal sold on ebay by a polish man, I can see more that 400 pcs are sold, so people trust it, I presume. I would think to upgrade, rather just to swap rubber seals... What do you think?

Safe drive to all!

Comment

Working...
                                X