How To: Replace Oil Pickup Seal in Sump A20DTH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Replace Oil Pickup Seal in Sump A20DTH

If you get the message "Oil Pressure Low - Stop Engine" error message every morning or when the car has been sat all day, there is a possibility the Oil Seal on the pickup pipe inside the sump has lost its flexibility. This lets oil drain back into the sump out of the oil pump.

Part Number: 55589549
    http://www.autovaux.co.uk/product/55589549-gasket.aspx

To replace the seal the sump has to be removed, which on the Insignia requires the gearbox to be splt from the engine to get to 2 of the bolts holding the sump on.

Unless you are brave and extremely careful
    I cannot be held responsible if you try this and damage your DMF

It is possible to notch out the gearbox bell casing to provide access to the 2 bolts, but there is very little room for error when drilling/grinding the case between the DMF and the casing. You can see where the notches were made on my car.

It is a case of removing all the bolts and dropping the sump off. (4x4 has another set of difficult bolts as the transfer box is in the way as well)

Here you can see the oil seal in place.

It is then a case of cleaning off the old gasket from the sump, applying more and carefully re-fitting the sump, noting that the inaccessible bolts are tricky. On my car we held them loosely in place with the liquid gasket and started them off first, because if they fall out you have to start again in re-fitting it.

I guess it is the black rubber seal in the middle?

Comment

Yes that's the one, The red bit on the top photo is just to protect the flexible part until it is fitted.

Comment

Thanks, nice how 2. A friend of mine had same pb, and I told him about that in the past. However it happens to be http://www.insignia-enthusiast.org/f...arings-failed/

Later I bought Insignia A20DTH too, and first check was to open engine bottom and check bearings. Happens that mine already been serviced improperly..

Comment

Hi!
          My name is jonas and I live in Norway. I'm about to replace this oil seal on my insignia 2.0cdi 4x4. I haven't had a look under the car yet and was just wondering if i need to split the gearbox or use your solution and remove the transfer box or do I just need to remove the transfer box on the 4x4 version?
          Thanks! ��
          /jonas

Comment

On my car the transfer box was left in place but the drive shafts pulled out. It was an access to the bolts issue, but is possible leaving it in place.

To split the gearbox, is a very long job and will cost more, the vauxhall dealer they spoke to suggested this way due to the speed.

Comment

Is it the same case with the auto box.

Comment

mine is all now stripped down, luckily the cutouts already there so no messing wit grinding etc
                got to pick up the seal if it comes in to dealer in morning
                i looked online cant find the torque settings for the sump bolts does anyone know what they are please ?

Comment

Reported to be 9, 25, 40Nm for M6, M8, M10 bolts respectively.

Comment

thankyou buttons

Comment

Originally posted by pecky View Post
                      If you get the message "Oil Pressure Low - Stop Engine" error message every morning or when the car has been sat all day, there is a possibility the Oil Seal on the pickup pipe inside the sump has lost its flexibility. This lets oil drain back into the sump out of the oil pump.

Part Number: 55589549
                      http://www.autovaux.co.uk/product/55589549-gasket.aspx

To replace the seal the sump has to be removed, which on the Insignia requires the gearbox to be splt from the engine to get to 2 of the bolts holding the sump on.

Unless you are brave and extremely careful
                      I cannot be held responsible if you try this and damage your DMF

It is possible to notch out the gearbox bell casing to provide access to the 2 bolts, but there is very little room for error when drilling/grinding the case between the DMF and the casing. You can see where the notches were made on my car.

It is a case of removing all the bolts and dropping the sump off. (4x4 has another set of difficult bolts as the transfer box is in the way as well)

Here you can see the oil seal in place.

It is then a case of cleaning off the old gasket from the sump, applying more and carefully re-fitting the sump, noting that the inaccessible bolts are tricky. On my car we held them loosely in place with the liquid gasket and started them off first, because if they fall out you have to start again in re-fitting it.

That website from where you can buy it doesn't have it anymore . Can someone please let us know where we can find this magic seal ? I can't find it on any website in UK . I find one on ebay , but is 15 euro and deliver form germany for another 15 euro.

i can't understand why you can't find this product in UK if is a massive problem on all insignia .

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                        That website from where you can buy it doesn't have it anymore . Can someone please let us know where we can find this magic seal ? I can't find it on any website in UK . I find one on ebay , but is 15 euro and deliver form germany for another 15 euro.

i can't understand why you can't find this product in UK if is a massive problem on all insignia .
                        go to youre local vauxhall dealer and buy it

Comment

How much have people been paying for this job?

Comment

Originally posted by MJSROOFING View Post
                            Is it the same case with the auto box.
                            Did you manage to find out?

Comment

Originally posted by Jontwhale View Post
                              How much have people been paying for this job?
                              I asked tge garage i some times use and he quoted £550 to do it. Worryingly though he asked if it was rear wheel drive

Comment

Working...
                              X