Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 Insignia 2.0CDTi Cold Start Noise (with video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I had my Insignia Vauxhall changed everything from aux belts and tensioners to the timing belt. They finally changed the alternator blaming the alternator bearings which seemed to cure it before I got rid of the car

Comment

Mines a MY63 been away for a week, car parked in open on two very frosty mornings, started motor and it made the same noise, gone after two seconds, not to be heard again that day,
      same next day. Home motor kept in garage, not a whisper. ????
      Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

So just to give you all an update - Had my cambelt fitted on Friday (gates kit) and this morning it still made the noise when cold so that rules out Water-pump and belt tensioner's.. I have now lost the "bike pump" noise though so I'm guessing that was the water pump.

I am wondering if its something related to the alternator.. I may try squirting it with wd40 and see if the noise goes... but I've done 40k+ with this noise to put peeps minds at rest.
        2013 Insignia 2.0 CDTi SRi NAV

My Photography - https://www.facebook.com/charleswhitephotography & www.charles-white-photography.com

Comment

I always use a spray of water, it dries and it's gone, WD 40 will leave an oily residue behind, may cause belt to slip.
          Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Alternator seemed to fix it on mine but after that was replaced I only had the car for about two months... A few cold morning starts though.. One day the car was a few inches deep in snow and it didnt make the noise

Comment

sounds like dmf with water pump noise too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetskimatty View Post
                sounds like dmf with water pump noise too.
                Morning all. Mine has started this lovely noise now. Again, goes away after 20-30 seconds. And only seems to do when on cold mornings. A little snow this morning, and is cold. Car is Insignia 2.0 CDTI Nav. 74k. 2012. Actually got it booked in for cambelt/pump, aux belt, int service, and MOT on Friday. So hope it sorts it.

Comment

The noise has returned on mine-kind of metallic noise but only on frosty mornings. Car runs as normal though and noise disappears after a few seconds after start up.

Comment

Originally posted by fred View Post
                    The noise has returned on mine-kind of metallic noise but only on frosty mornings. Car runs as normal though and noise disappears after a few seconds after start up.
                    Ill let you know how mine sounds at the weekend after its service Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by cdub View Post
                      Hi Guys,

so randomly this started happening a month ago and would only happen now and then.. today was day 3 in a row of making this noise when starting from cold.
                      Rev the engine it goes away only happens on idle when cold

On a cold morning I am greeted with this noise on start up

I used to have a 2.0T Z20NET Vectra and that blew to a timing chain tensioner so I'm very sensitive to cold start noises!!

Getting it booked in later but wanted to see what other owners opinions are!

Update: 12/3/18 - I have done 40k+ miles since first post & still have the noise but car is running fine.

Cam belt done at 97k & noise is still there when cold. Rules out water pump & cam belt tensioners.
                      Did you do the aux belt, pulley and tensioner? Although I don’t think it’s that

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
                        Did you do the aux belt, pulley and tensioner? Although I don’t think it’s that
                        No not yet.. but this morning was the second time I have received a low oil pressure warning on cold start in a month and the car has been “whining” when I’m driving it. it’s done just over 120k & I’m worried something big is going now.

My Photography - https://www.facebook.com/charleswhitephotography & www.charles-white-photography.com

Comment

Originally posted by cdub View Post
                          No not yet.. but this morning was the second time I have received a low oil pressure warning on cold start in a month and the car has been “whining” when I’m driving it. it’s done just over 120k & I’m worried something big is going now.
                          You need to get the oil seal pickup done before you do any damage

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
                            You need to get the oil seal pickup done before you do any damage
                            I don’t know that it’s that. But it’s going in this week to be looked at.

Comment

Unfortunately if its been whining the damage may already be done to the crank. this needs investgation asap and unless you're not bothered about the engine going pop, I wouldn't be driving it
                              Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                                Unfortunately if its been whining the damage may already be done to the crank. this needs investgation asap and unless you're not bothered about the engine going pop, I wouldn't be driving it
                                I think i need to add some info..

Its only been whining for about a week and the noise is not changing. its coming from the left hand side of the engine so it points to a tensioner either on the aux belt or the cambelt. My mate had a listen to it and pinpointed the noise.

Its going to the guy who did my cambelt on wednesday and ill report back. As always thanks or the repys its always helpfull

Comment

Working...
                                X