Easy to Change Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy to Change Oil?

I've got a 2011 2.0 cdti and need to do an oil change.

Could someone tell me how easy (or not) it is to perform using a trolley jack and axle stand(s).

There is a "How To" on YouTube but the fella there clearly has a pit which makes access easier as I believe there is an undertray that has to be removed to gain access to the sump plug.

I used to have a Passat and that was a bit of a PITA to get the undertray lined up to get back on.

Thanks folks.

The car ideally needs to be level to drain the oil fully, if it's not then there could be upto 1/2 ltr left in the engine/sump.

Looks fairly easy though, the cover flaps down to give you access.

Comment

Originally posted by p3tchy View Post
      The car ideally needs to be level to drain the oil fully, if it's not then there could be upto 1/2 ltr left in the engine/sump.

Looks fairly easy though, the cover flaps down to give you access.

Cheers for that. It's a question of clearance for that flap thing though. The vehicle in the pic is clearly on a ramp and the flap is well out the way. Can you get the same level of clearance using a jack?

Comment

You will have to remove the whole tray if doing on axle stands and if i recall easier to get to filter if remove the drivers side wheel. Get a rag handy to mop up any spily oil from removing filter.

Comment

Really stupid place to put the oil filter housing.

Comment

Agree,its a right ******* of a place,,short bit of house guttering will save some spillage after removing filter
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
              Agree,its a right ******* of a place,,short bit of house guttering will save some spillage after removing filter
              Thanks for the heads up there. I'm going for the v-folded cardboard option. Hopefully, it'll be a lot wider to catch more of it.

Comment

It's easy enough to do. I jacked up the front and put it on stands. Remove the whole tray. And crack the sump plug. Then lower the passenger. Remove the plug and let it drain and while that's happening lower the driver side and let the rest of the oil drain. Take a bit longer that way but just makes sure you have most the oil removed. Even if you have the from well off just lower the jack to about level.

Comment

I took a Stanley Knife to the flap on my Vectra C. I removed the whole undertray on my Vectra B.
                  Apparently the whole cover is just there to appease German noise level law on Autobahns
                  I could never tell any difference though once removed, and it never damaged anything.
                  When the oil and filter change is due on my insignia, the knife will be back out.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                    Agree; absolute stupid design. My old Honda Accord all you had to do was pop bonnet and unscrew filter and replace. no spillage no mess. I assume the reason why some manufacturers have the filter at the bottom of the engine is to catch the heavy metals. If Honda, who, quite frankly, in my opinion, make the best petrol and diesel engines, can put an oil filter on top of the engine then anyone can. Drive a Honda and you will see what I mean.

Comment

Can you get like a pre made drain shield for the filter

Comment

Working...
                      X