sump removal on cdti sri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump removal on cdti sri

hi, i have the low oil pressure problem just started on my insigna so ive been doing a lot of reading about it. I want to change the oil pick up seal in the sump.
    Has anyone personally done this job themselves ? as there is very little information out there.

Ive found one thread on here showing two cut outs in the bell housing to access the two hidden bolts, even though that thread was very helpful the person who put it up didnt actually do the job themselves.

I found another thread where someone is quoting the haynes manual saying that if you turn the flywheel there are grooves in it allowing access to the two bolts with out removing the bolts.

So i was hoping that there might be people out there who have hands on experience of doing this job themselves as any help would be great.
    All the information i have found on this site so far has been great its just these two things are alittle conflicting, i like to be clear on what im doing before i start to get my hands dirty. Thanks. John

sorry i made a mistake the guy who cut the holes in his gear box did do it himselve ive just re read the thread. so has anyone else done it without cuting or removing the gear box.

Comment

I'm very interested in this, I think I have the same engine and would like to do this job before it goes.
      Maybe a how2 thread would be a good idea, with loads of pictures.

Comment

I am very surprised it seems to be a big problem with lots off reports of needing it dun but no one achouley doing it I no its a Farley new car but shorly their are macanics that own them doing these jobs them selves that can shed a little more light on the subject

Comment

Hi I posted before myself on advice re replacing the oil pickup pipe seal and a week later I got the oil pressure warning so had to tackle it myself anyway. It was pretty much as per the haynes manual for mine. I have an auto box so you can get to the 2 bolts at the gearbox end of sump through cutouts in already there so not as difficult as I thought would be The sequence from haynes manual spot on as below:

Drain oil
          Remove right hand driveshaft and intermediate shaft
          Remove intermediate shaft bearing
          Undo bolts for cat support bracket
          Remove exhaust front pipe
          Undo bolts and remove oil separator pipe
          Disconnect wiring from oil level sensor
          Undo 2 bolts securing sump flange to transmission bell housing
          Rotate crank and find holes in flywheel to undo 2 rear sump bolts (No crank rotation needed on auto as bolts visible through holes in gearbox end)
          Undo all other sump bolts and ease/lever sump away. (Most difficult bit as was stuck solid)
          Ease off old oil seal and push on new.
          Clean off old gasket and clean up sump / block surfaces before putting on new sealant on sump.
          Put everything back together

I used Loctite 518 Anaerobic Gasket for a really good seal and all seems good no leaks and seal is holding pressure.

Hope this helps others

Comment

Sure yes mine is the same as yours, a 2011 insignia A20DTH engine with Af40 6 speed automatic gear box. You should have 2 cut outs already at gearbox end sump through which you can get to the 2 awkward torx head bolts with a long extension bar. The time consuming bit I found was breaking the sump away from the engine block as it was stuck solid. In the end I inserted a spare bolt in one of the holes where the driveshaft bracket mounted on the sump and used a tyre lever against that to gently pry the sump off, worked a treat for me

Good luck...

Comment

Once you did this work, was the engine Ok with no oil light etc.
              Was the oil pick up pipe seal clearly damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by MJSROOFING View Post
                Once you did this work, was the engine Ok with no oil light etc.
                Was the oil pick up pipe seal clearly damaged.
                I know you didnt ask me but for info, I got mine done at dealers as I didnt fancy it myself. Light came on at 230,000kms (close on 150k miles) Dealer had to split gearbox from block about an inch to get at bolts. Low Oil Pressure light came on once, on startup after being parked up for 2 days with temps just above freezing, and was not driven after, I've now done 10k kms and am due to change oil. All seems ok thus far. Pick up seal was flattened as it should be after fitting but had seemed to have lost its flexibility.

Comment

Good info here, I will be tackling this soon, prevention rather than repair.

Comment

I think the real question is what grade oil is in your car, as you only had the warning when it was freezing and not when it was at 9 degrees suggests you have thicker oil than it should be. Could be easier than taking the sump off her

Comment

Does anyone have the part number for the seal.

Comment

...........and while the Sump is off ....give the Oil pump a good clean ..........

Comment

What about torque settings ??

Comment

G.P.S are doing the seal for £9.50 and it comes with a tool that pushes the seal into place without damaging it.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                              G.P.S are doing the seal for £9.50 and it comes with a tool that pushes the seal into place without damaging it.
                              Do you have a link or website address ?

Comment

Working...
                              X