Android Head Unit for facelift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Head Unit for facelift

Took me a bit of time, but there we go !

First thing to note, there are still some issues and IceBox Auto are still working to get them resolved.

1. Delivery
    It took just over a week for it to arrive. It arrived well secured and in perfect condition.

2. Installation
    I did go with DIY option, so it can be done Will post some pictues of how to later in the time.

3. Pros
    Definitively the look ! Looks just like OEM, with many more options. Of course my favourite is fact I can install TomTom GO straight from appstore and it works like it should.

When changing temperature, you will see small bar at the bottom of the screen appearing with info. Additionally outside temperature will be shown on top bar, however it takes few minutes to pull information from system after first boot/hard restart (I've just rebooted mine so no info )

We are not limited to screen on speedo when it comes to parking sensor, they will also appear on on the main screen as per below. However when you select reverse it will go into reverse camera mode straight away even if you have no reverse camera attached. It can be turned off in factory settings but I haven't bothered as will be buying reverse camera soon.

One option that is a game changer for most of us, Car settings, they have named it control settings and they give you access to change pretty much everything as in OEM version (for more details on what is in app just click on below picture and you will find all pictures in there).

4. Cons
    Something that I wasn't expecting is fascia for climate control/DVD need to be changed for one supplied with new unit as DVD player is slightly higher than in OEM. The worst bit is new fascia is not the same, on the left hand side you have two buttons where in fact it should be same as right one and just have a hole in there (feedback provided awaiting reply). Sat nav sometimes takes up to a minute to find signal, usually finds it straightaway. Last con for me would be speaker..... Yes you get an extra speaker that handles parking sensors sounds and all car sounds. The fact of having separate speaker is not so bad, but the fact of loosing this surround kind of experience when using parking sensors is not nice.

5. Feedback
    Even with those few imperfections I'm in love with this unit, it is fast and responsive. Unit turns on when ignition is on and it start straight away. I usually listen to radio, as soon as i turn my key my radio is back on and playing ! No waiting time like with OEM unit. Have been using this for 2 weeks now and apart from those mentioned above there are no other issues. So far did not need to fully reboot unit because of freezing, well it does not freeze at all !! (so far) I would recommend buying this unit, however you have to give up steering wheel control and playing DVD's atm. If/Once those issues are fixed this will be a no-brainer. Especially for price..

Update
    Steering wheel controls are working fine now. It was related to one cable that wasn't connected at the beginning. This weekend I will post pictures and step by step guide how to replace and connect

I will be recording a video once/if above mentioned issues are fixed, in the meantime if you have any question about this I'm more than happy to answer. More picture are on my photobucket, just click on any picture and you can have a look

Marko will be interested in this ...Get some more money spent
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Yeah I've been following this in another thread

Thanks for the update and pictures, laskapr! It does look good and still having access to the vehicle settings is great! What are their plans regarding the lower fascia and the steering wheel controls? Do they aim to fix both these issues? I'm really interested but I'd prefer both to be fixed before I buy.
      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Looks like a good unit, how did you remove the old one I can't get mine out !

The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

Had a bit of chat this week regarding steering wheel controls and their technicians are looking into it. I did play around with canbus setting hoping it will be as simple as that but unfortunately isn't. With regards to fascia only messaged them about this one yesterday as i didnt install it initially as it looked same as oem one, but it isnt ! DVD is lower on oem... so awaiting feedback on this, to be fair could do it myself if I only had dremel tool.

Nicksri, I had to remove trim, lighter and then use trim tool to lift radio and pull it. Needed to put some force in there, there are no screws in there. Just clips, metal clips. Prepare to look for them as they like to come off when removing radio/climate control unit and fall inside. Don't have any pictures but hope this will help:

Comment

Ah brilliant thanks, I can see the location of one of them so I will start from there. Thankyou

The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

So update :
              New canbus is being made and will be sent to me to test it.

Case about fascia has been put forward to factory and hopefully a new one will be made.

Comment

This sounds promising....What would it take to make the oem fascia able to take cds/dvds? Also, I forgot to ask....Does the usb in the centre arm rest still work?
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Won't be able to make OEM fascia compatible as dvd/cd player is higher so we are talking of making new hole for cds, but new fascia could be adjusted, need to cut off buttons and it should fit in.

Usb does work, haven't checked aux in as i actually never used it...

Comment

To be honest. If the USB works, you can play everything through that (music/movies etc...) so not really any need for CD/DVD access.

Comment

How much did this set up cost.

Comment

Originally posted by MJSROOFING View Post
                        How much did this set up cost.
                        £297.99 Not a bad price. http://www.iceboxauto.com/vauxhall-i...droid-51-a5548

Comment

One i bought is £328.
                          http://www.iceboxauto.com/opel-insignia-2014-android-60-b5548

Btw, new canbus has been sent. Once arrives I will let you know if it works.
                          Last edited by laskapr; 22-04-2017, 04:11 AM. Reason: Wrong link

Comment

Why the higher price? Did you get get the DAB module too?

Comment

One you mentioned is based on android 5.1, quad core and less memory. Where the one I have bought and provided link is octa core, android 6 and more memory...

Comment

Working...
                              X