No announcement yet.

Tyre recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For an ordinary car, driven normally, Nexens seem OK.
    For a car driven more keenly, Nexens leave a bit to be desired; when pressing on they're able to carry only perhaps three-quarters of the speed through a corner than, say, a Continental, Goodyear or Bridgestone. The sharper the corner the more the Nexens feel like they're starting to slip.

The previous owner of my Insignia fitted Nexens on the front (they were post-retirement with mobility problems and didn't need performance - their requirement was auto and the luxuries) but I'll be replacing the Nexens with Continentals as soon as funds allow.
    Unfortunately for the next few months the Insignia will have to run on the Nexens because I need to spend about £1.5k on the Astra: two new Contis because after 40k the fronts are down to about 2.5-3mm, plus Astra needs a service, MoT, tax, insurance and possibly cambelt/water pump.

Comment

Nexens get my vote. Running them as my winters and wouldn't hesitate for summer. Can't actually remember what my summers are...I asked for nexen but think I got something else in the end

Comment

My recommendation would be to look at the many tyre retailer websites, sort each one by price, noise, wet grip, efficiency, etc and pick the best one that suits you and your requirements and driving style.
        Its an entirely personal preference depending on what you want out of a tyre.
        Hard compounds will last longer but offer poor grip levels as soft compounds wear relatively quickly but offer higher grip levels.
        If you're on a motorway A to B then a fuel efficient tyre will suit, but keep in mind noise levels as they can vary significantly.
        If you're daily commute is off the main roads then go for a grippy tyre.
        It really is a personal choice as to what you want the tyre to do. I had maxtreck on rear, had to dispose of less than half worn as continuously gave way on slip roads/roundabouts.
        Have Kumho's on now. They will not last as long as some others but for the price I'd recommend.
        The American wear index is a good comparison for different tyres, its not relevant, but none the less, a good comparison for different tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
          .... Hard compounds will last longer but offer poor grip levels as soft compounds wear relatively quickly but offer higher grip levels. .....
          Along similar lines, I used to be a very keen cyclist and I used to choose relatively soft rubber for brake blocks in order to greatly improve the block's grip on the wheel rim which improved braking, but the downside was the need for much more frequent brake block changes.
          The harder rubber compounds used for cheaper brake blocks lasted so long that perishing was more likely to be their demise than wearing down, but those long-life/hard-rubber blocks had poor grip on the wheel rims and hence poorer stopping power.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
            After using michelin pss, dunlop sport maxx rt and goodyear asymmetric 3 everything else seems rubbish. Most tyres will provide enough grip but some will provide more.
            After a few close calls in the rain i never use anything else.
            Day to day most tyres will be fine but in an emergency that 1m extra braking distance is the difference between stopping in time and being a 1m into a wall
            Not staying spend a fortune but dont try save too much
            Just my opinion
            My need for speed days are long gone, with two young lads in the back legal speed limits are plenty already. Don't do that much motorway driving, mainly town and "A" roads. I agree on the braking distance and stuff that's why I looked at the Nexen in the first place as they score a B in both fuel efficiency and wet braking category. Won't be trying to save too much as I know I'll end up buying again sooner.
            C4 Grand Picasso 2015 Exclusive.

Comment

Side line question here, what are your thoughts on mix brands e.g. having Uniroyal on the Rear & Continental on the front? I do believe that Uniroyal is owned by Continental in Europe anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Saul View Post
                Hello,

Are you referring to the Nexen?
                sorry yes im referring to the nexen su1. there a very good tyre for the price

Comment

i used to have uniroyal rainsport 3's on my renault they are imo really good tyres, on my insignia i have continentals and i think these are just as good if not better than the rainsport 3's

Comment

I had rainsport 3 on my old glanza in summer and winter, a really good tyre for grip as mentioned they can wear quick ill be getting them on my siggy when these tyres wear down. had bridgestone turanza on my is200 another good tyre but would rather the rainsports for an all rounder. Ya could mix and match tyres surely as long as it the same on front or rear in my opinion, just put the better tyres to wear you don't have drive so better tyres to back for front wheel drive and front for back wheel drive

Comment

Originally posted by chili View Post
                      i used to have uniroyal rainsport 3's on my renault they are imo really good tyres, on my insignia i have continentals and i think these are just as good if not better than the rainsport 3's
                      Which continental's do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Saul View Post
                        Which continental's do you have?
                        Conti Eco Contact 5 i may try goodyear next

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                          My recommendation would be to look at the many tyre retailer websites, sort each one by price, noise, wet grip, efficiency, etc and pick the best one that suits you and your requirements and driving style.
                          Its an entirely personal preference depending on what you want out of a tyre.
                          Hard compounds will last longer but offer poor grip levels as soft compounds wear relatively quickly but offer higher grip levels.
                          If you're on a motorway A to B then a fuel efficient tyre will suit, but keep in mind noise levels as they can vary significantly.
                          If you're daily commute is off the main roads then go for a grippy tyre.
                          It really is a personal choice as to what you want the tyre to do. I had maxtreck on rear, had to dispose of less than half worn as continuously gave way on slip roads/roundabouts.
                          Have Kumho's on now. They will not last as long as some others but for the price I'd recommend.
                          The American wear index is a good comparison for different tyres, its not relevant, but none the less, a good comparison for different tyres.
                          BTW the Kumho's are actually 225mm thread width Tyres. I think they calculate width based on loaded width whereas others measure thread width or section width. Bit of a piss take as they are a good 5cm thinner than goodyear eagle f1's and they look it. I was a fan but not anymore, they grip like weetabix to a bowl but look that bit skinny. I've been duped by the power of a EU directive. I.E. best performing tyre for the lowest price, all well and good but its not a level playing field and some manufacturers take advantage. There's a big difference in sidewall height too.

Comment

I have had Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on my Sports Tourer 160 for about 9000 miles now.

Very good tyres, excellent in the wet and very good in the dry. For the first 1000 miles they feel a bit wooly because the tread blocks are quite long.

I reckon at the current rate the fronts will be finished around 12-14k and the backs will probably last until 20k.

I previously had Yokohoma Advan Sports, which were probably as good in the dry, and not just as good in the wet but only lasted about 10k on the front.

Before that I had Bridgestone Turanza ER300, which were very much more suited to motorway munching but were still decent wet and dry and lasted the longest.

I do mainly A/B Roads, town and maybe 30% motorway miles. I do tend to press on a bit, all tyres were 245/45R18

Comment

Originally posted by roverspeed View Post
                              I have had Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on my Sports Tourer 160 for about 9000 miles now.

Very good tyres, excellent in the wet and very good in the dry. For the first 1000 miles they feel a bit wooly because the tread blocks are quite long.

I reckon at the current rate the fronts will be finished around 12-14k and the backs will probably last until 20k.

I previously had Yokohoma Advan Sports, which were probably as good in the dry, and not just as good in the wet but only lasted about 10k on the front.

Before that I had Bridgestone Turanza ER300, which were very much more suited to motorway munching but were still decent wet and dry and lasted the longest.

I do mainly A/B Roads, town and maybe 30% motorway miles. I do tend to press on a bit, all tyres were 245/45R18
                              Thank you, that's the sort of real life review I was looking for. Have decided to go with the rainsport's. [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                              X