Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in sills

Hi all,

I have no mechanical knowledge, however, I'm looking for advice to identify what the issue is, and a possible solution.

I have a Vauxhall Insignia Exclusive, 5 door salon, 2.0 auto, 2011, following this weeks heavy rain, I can hear water somewhere sloshing under the car more on the passenger side, I suspect this is within the sills, will this require the car being of the road for repair in my local garage, reason I ask, I'm reliant on the car for work.

Hello I would suggest the water is not in the sills but very likely to be in the bottom of the door , if you feel under the door you should find some rubber bungs they are meant to allow water to drain away but get bunged up trapping the water in the door .
    I would suggest you just remove these and not bother refitting them the newer cars don't have them fitted

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Comment

I can't remember how many there are on each door , they are meant to act as one way valve i.e. Let water out but not in , hopefully this will help just be aware there maybe a fair bit of dirty water in there so be aware it may come out suddenly and also check all of the doors .

Comment

Yeah,there's 2 on each door,,,my present siggys got removed the same day as I picked it up from dealers,,stupid design
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

My old siggy had this noise on rear door. Water poured out for 3 or 4 mins when i took the bungs out. My facelift doesnt have them.

Comment

Maybe not stupid design as I have the bungs in my prefacelift. The wife's post lift doesn't have them, just big holes!. I have never had any problem with them though and they are bone dry even though we had rain yesterday so no issue. Touch wood. Obviously they can be a problem under certain conditions and as said they aren't fitted to post lift cars, or maybe this is to save money?

Comment

Sorted, thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Yet to have the issue on my 2010 Insignia but the wifes 64 plate Astra has no end of issues with water in the doors, mainly the rear ones, and i've had to drain them a few times. Last time around i wedged a cocktail stick in there and water poured out for a good few minutes. Not resorted to taking the bungs out as yet but now i've read you can without an issue next time around i probably will just remove them.

Comment

Did you take the bungs out and leave them out ?

Comment

Resurrecting the post just to say that it helped me! It rained here(it only rains here in Santiago this time of the year, winter in southern hemisphere), and i was hearing water noise and was thinking that it was from the sunroof drains clogged, but it wasn't. After i searched the forum for this issue, i got here, and your post nailed it! The drains at the bottom of the door were obstructed with dirt. When i pulled them off, a lot of water fell off from the door.

Thanks for the tip, that wasn't originally for me, but it helped me a lot!
                      Felipe Sentinger / Santiago - Chile
                      2013 - Opel Insignia Sports Tourer OPC

Comment

Originally posted by sentinger View Post
                        Resurrecting the post just to say that it helped me! It rained here(it only rains here in Santiago this time of the year, winter in southern hemisphere), and i was hearing water noise and was thinking that it was from the sunroof drains clogged, but it wasn't. After i searched the forum for this issue, i got here, and your post nailed it! The drains at the bottom of the door were obstructed with dirt. When i pulled them off, a lot of water fell off from the door.

Thanks for the tip, that wasn't originally for me, but it helped me a lot!
                        Nice one,,that's what the forum is all about
                        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea why the water fills up in the door? Mine never done this until i fitted wind deflectors now it has happened a few times. I have now taken the rubber bungs out but do wonder if it is the deflectors that are helping water enter.

Comment

My guess s the deflectors maybe pushing the window glass back slightly and it is allowing rain in that way have you got the deflectors pushed up as far as possible with the clips in place ?
                            On the pathfinder it had Hekos on and they were letting in water I now have genuine Nissan stick on type that sit above the window and now I don’t get the problem

Comment

Yes mate, mine are pushed all the way up i was just throwing it out there to see if its only people with deflectors that have this issue as mine was fine before i fitted them. 😁😁😁

Comment

Working...
                              X