Power loss and juddering!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power loss and juddering!

I'm having intermittent loss of power and the occasional judder which feels like the power is going then coming back.

It mostly happens in 2nd and 3rd gear. The other day it happened and 'Service vehicle soon' appeared.

There also seems to be a strange noise on either depressing or releasing the throttle at speed - almost a scraping type noise all on the drivers side of the car. When you release the accelerator it sounds like Muttley's chuckle!!

I posted this on FB and someone mentioned to check the turbo pipe for cracks... I did this and it was intact. Also someone mentioned cleaning the DPF? I've had mine removed so I'm guessing that doesn't apply. I've looked for leaks in all the pipes surround the turbo and air intake and all seems tight.

Ooo also worth mentioning that I've tried cleaning the Air intake sensor and the turbo valve isn't making any untoward noises or shaking profusely.

Comment

Any chance taking a video and post it up

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
        Any chance taking a video and post it up
        Can't really. It's fine on Idle, bit hard to get a video at 10mph+

It seems to be getting worse though now and I'm losing more and more power.

I can't help think the garage that did the DPF removal and EGR Block did a bodged job and this is the result of it!

Comment

You need to get the fault code read. That'll give you a better idea of what it is

Comment

Originally posted by mintycake View Post
            I can't help think the garage that did the DPF removal and EGR Block did a bodged job and this is the result of it!
            Its possible

Comment

So following on from this, having a right nightmare with the car at the moment.

To summarise:

Took to pentagon Vaux, said all codes lead to the boost pressure and ECU, they thought it was due to the map on the car that was done when egr and dpf were removed/blocked. Told me to visit Map guy.

Took it to the guy who mapped it, he says the Map is fine but the whole turbo needs replacing, as some rod that goes up and down in the turbo is bent? and would cost up to £400 for second hand turbo. He said he couldn't feel any juddering when he drove the car (Sods law) but recommended changing the fuel filter, I did this and it was still the same, the old filter wasn't bad either.

Any ideas on what to do next, is the turbo easy to change or does it need reprogramming in and stuff?

Comment

rod that goes up and down? im guessing he's on about the one that open and closes the vanes but that's not under any great force to be bent
                if it was the map you would have known about it pretty much straight away
                have a check of the boost solenoid valve

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
                  rod that goes up and down? im guessing he's on about the one that open and closes the vanes but that's not under any great force to be bent
                  if it was the map you would have known about it pretty much straight away
                  have a check of the boost solenoid valve

Think he means this rod..

Not sure if that's the waste gate accurator or not, he said it's physically attached to the turbo so would need the whole thing replacing. The Boost pipe banged off when test driving the car (The part near the fog light surround as I hadn't put the clip back on fully) - I guess that could of caused enough force to bugger it - but the juddering was happening before that.

Comment

Boost Solenoid seems fine, no loud noise or vibrating. Worth noting there is a lot of air coming from the turbo when in idle and I have a look under the bonnet. Also y'day the radiator stayed on after the engine was off and the car engine was really hot.

Comment

shouldnt be any any air coming from the turbo area, all the pipes should be sealed
                      you have a leak somewhere, and im guessing its something to do with the pipe that came off, why did you take it off?
                      did the pipe come off before or after the problem started?

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
                        shouldnt be any any air coming from the turbo area, all the pipes should be sealed
                        you have a leak somewhere, and im guessing its something to do with the pipe that came off, why did you take it off?
                        did the pipe come off before or after the problem started?
                        No, the air is coming out above the turbo heat shield, not above any pipes. The pipe i took off was the boost pipe (Near the battery) to check for cracks (apparently quite common) but there was no cracks so put it back on but the bottom metal ring that hold the pipes together came loose upon acceleration. So reattached it propperly after that.

Comment

Did the garage give you the fault codes?

Comment

Originally posted by jpoole_1 View Post
                            Did the garage give you the fault codes?
                            No. Both garages didn't... for some reason.

I saw them though just can't remember the codes, all boost and ECU related.

I'm wondering how hard it is to fit a turbo, is there any instructions for this or is it just pop one off and put another on, I'm guessing it will need programming in as well?

Comment

nope wont need programming but i would recommend getting the codes read again by someone competent at fault finding and not a garage technician who's just going to blame someone else
                              might be worth taking the heat shield off and checking where the air is coming from

Comment

Working...
                              X