No announcement yet.

How2: replace solenoid valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a year later and it's gone again, this was the 3rd one on this car and its only a 61plate
    still have the 2nd one so might try dismantling it and see if they can be repaired

Comment

I would be interested to know if when 12 volt power is applied does the valve open or close? if it opens could the 2 pipes be just connected together thus bypassing the valve, if it closes could just plugging both pipes work. If anyone knows what the function if and when it is activated/de-activated please advise.

Comment

It is controlled using pulse-width modulation. So it opens and closes very quickly, controlling the amount of vacuum to the turbo (and thereby controlling the vanes). Bypassing it would means the turbo is out-of-control, causing limp mode if you're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
          It is controlled using pulse-width modulation. So it opens and closes very quickly, controlling the amount of vacuum to the turbo (and thereby controlling the vanes). Bypassing it would means the turbo is out-of-control, causing limp mode if you're lucky.
          Right that screws my thoughts up then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
            So a year later and it's gone again, this was the 3rd one on this car and its only a 61plate
            still have the 2nd one so might try dismantling it and see if they can be repaired
            Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFilQ1dgIQw
            Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
              It's an official Vauxhall modification, but for some reason the only Insignia I've seen with it is my own one.

Comment

There's also this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8pbE9gNInA
                Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

What are the symptoms when it is not working. no boost/intermittent boost??

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
                    It's an official Vauxhall modification, but for some reason the only Insignia I've seen with it is my own one.
                    My 2015 has one fitted too,,just on the right hand side one,,not on the left side one
                    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                      Probably an "check engine" and loss of turbo boost. At least that's what happened to my father-in-laws when hist controller failed.

Comment

The part number from one of the videos is 55589096 this is now a new metal pipe, reservoir and pipes that replaced the feed to the valve.
                        Internet search says it was implemented into production in dec 2012.

Any experts tell us what’s its for ??

Comment

Been there done that. There's nothing to repair or that can be repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
                            The part number from one of the videos is 55589096 this is now a new metal pipe, reservoir and pipes that replaced the feed to the valve.
                            Internet search says it was implemented into production in dec 2012.

Any experts tell us what’s its for ??
                            the new pipe and reservoir is vauxhalls way of masking the symptoms, the reservoir muffles the moooing sound like an exhaust backbox, by the time it gets back enough to trigger the check engine light vauxhall are hoping the will be outside its 3yr warranty

it's obvious really, how is a new pipe and hollow reservoir going to stop the solenoid valve failing? or fix an already failed valve? its not

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                              poor fuel economy, lack of power and torque, and when it gets real bad it will put the car into limp mode
                              at £25 quid a piece and few minutes of my time i think its going to become a consumable part, unless i can find an aftermarket part that will do the job and not break

Comment

the new pipe and reservoir is vauxhalls way of masking the symptoms, the reservoir muffles the moooing sound like an exhaust backbox, by the time it gets back enough to trigger the check engine light vauxhall are hoping the will be outside its 3yr warranty

it's obvious really, how is a new pipe and hollow reservoir going to stop the solenoid valve failing? or fix an already failed valve? its not
                                Sorry mate but what do you base this on? Vx fitted the revised pipe and the reservoir to all 2.0 from 2012 so there must have been a reason. My local dealer says they don’t change the valve anymore they just fit the revised part to the older cars when they complain about the mooing noise

Comment

Working...
                                X