Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How2: replace solenoid valve

Had to replace my solenoid valve today so thought I'd do a how to
    It really is an easy job and only took me 5 minutes including taking out my phone to take photos along the way
    This is a common fault on insignias but easy to fix
    I bought a replacement off ebay for about 30 quid
    The valve will make a humming sound when its faulty. You may notice this while driving or when you close the bonnet it may start to hum

The valve is located here

And here is the one i got off ebay

First remove the two hex screws at the top using an 8mm socket

Then remove the silver clip. No need to be gentle you wont break it just pull it off with some pliers

And remove the connector. Pulls off. No hidden clips on this one

Now you need to remove the two black hoses. I used a really small electrical flat head screwdriver to get between the hose and the plastic to loosen it up. Dont worry about which hose goes where. They are different sizes so will only go back on where they belong

Now the valve and bracket is off the car. Time to swap the valves over. Use a 10mm socket to remove the two nuts and replace the valve

Now to put everything back together.
    First up plug the electrical connector back in and push the silver wire clip back on

Then screw the bracket back on the car using the 8mm hex screws

Finally push the two hoses back on valve starting with the thick one at the bottom and then the smaller one at the top

Its as simple as that

Hey mo. Got how to!
    What engine is that for?

Comment

All the diesels have them
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

So will the one you have be the same as mine? 2.0 cdti sri? If so can you send me a link to where you got yours?

Comment

What year is your car?

Comment

Comment

Comment

this is also refered to as the boost control valve is it not?

eurocarparts

Pierburg Turbo Boost Control Valve at the lowest UK prices from Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 for Car Accessories, Car Styling & Car Care. Buy today Online, In store or by Phone + Branches Nationwide – Next Day UK Free Delivery.

nice guide as i need to do mine it only hums in warm weather though which i find odd.

cheers

Comment

Yep boost control valve

electro pneumatic solenoid valve

People call them different things but its a pain in the backside as they always fail. I wonder if theres an aftermarket part that would fit?

When mine went i went from getting 650 miles from a full tank to 500miles a tank. If you're not getting enough air in the engine at the right time you mpg suffers. So in a way this repair will save you lots of money quickly.

Comment

Did my front brakes today as well but was in a rush and hands where too dirty to take pics. Need a camera man when i do repairs so we can get more how tos written up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
                      Yep boost control valve

electro pneumatic solenoid valve

People call them different things but its a pain in the backside as they always fail. I wonder if theres an aftermarket part that would fit?

When mine went i went from getting 650 miles from a full tank to 500miles a tank. If you're not getting enough air in the engine at the right time you mpg suffers. So in a way this repair will save you lots of money quickly.
                      now i never knew this valve effected fuel consumption

Comment

Im not sure if it does affect fuel consumption as such but what i found is that if the power coming out of the engine isnt quite there i would compensate with a heavy foot
                        But the constant humming has gone
                        Have kept the old valve. Will dismantle it and see how they work and what caused it to fail

Comment

I'm missing the extra vacuum reservoir that should have been placed in one of the vacuum lines. This was an official recall, don't know the actual number but shouldn't be hard to find on the internet.

Comment

found it

Comment

Ye they started doing that fix but then realised that it didn't actually fix the issue so they stopped. Now they just replace the valve and hope it lasts til your warranty runs out. Then they charge you for it.
                              My cars a 2011 and i had this replaced under warranty in 2014 and again yesterday by myself as warranty has run out

Comment

Working...
                              X